Signing on fabrics - tips appreciated!

So I’m just getting my items together for the con, one of which is a replica Star trek shirt for William Shatner to sign, and I’ve realised I’ve never actually had a fabric signed before.

Has anyone got any advice for me generally about having fabric signed? Eg what pens to use/avoid, whether there should be something between the layers of fabric to stop the pen going from front to back etc?

The fabric is nylon I think, much like a football shirt, the type that can catch on your fingernails.

Thanks in advance!

Sharpies are fine and I've never had any bleed through, the tough part is having to have the fabric stretched taut enough to allow signing but not so taut you over stretch it.  Ideally you want it just stretched enough so the fabric isn't going to bunch up beneath the pen, but many guests are used to signing fabrics and know how to do it.  I think Shatner will have signed a few uniform's in his time so should be familiar.  The crew are usually good at helping stretch it as well.

I've had tank tops and tshirts signed with sharpies and they came out OK

I got a t-shirt signed by a few folks attending last year and a sharpie worked great. Exactly as Raylenth says, the material will need to be pulled fairly flat, but in all three instances I had help either from the guest themselves, the guest's handlers, and/or crew. Didn't even need to ask, there was this sense of "let's get this right!" :)

This was started 15 years ago and I've actually worn it. So some signatures have started fading despite my best attempts.

The ones that have faded worst are the ones where the guest insisted on signing while I wore it, like Michael Greenburg on the shoulder. So yeah, pressure is the key.

20190713_230458.jpg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

This was started 15 years ago and I've actually worn it. So some signatures have started fading despite my best attempts.

The ones that have faded worst are the ones where the guest insisted on signing while I wore it, like Michael Greenburg on the shoulder. So yeah, pressure is the key.

20190713_230458.jpg

It's very nice though Queen, you should get it framed with UV glass to protect the rest?