I hate Funko Pops!

MichaelJG

I know this is probably slightly controversial, but I REALLY hate Funko Pops! These horribly designed mass-produced plastic figures seem to be everywhere I look and I can't be the only person who can't stand them. I think my main issue is that at every ComicCon there are seemingly endless stacks of these lifeless cookie-cutter characters that are overpriced and seemingly have people going crazy to collect them. Also, it's now really difficult to find any decent quality action figures or figurines which actually look like the characters they're supposed to represent, as every retailer has filled their shelves with the soulless little bobble-heads!

Someone, please tell me I'm not the only one who feels like this. Bring back proper quality collectables, and let's see the end of these things!

• Like 4

I think hate is a strong word, but I'm not overly keen. I do admit to owning 3 but 2 of them I got in those crate box type things. I don't like the look of them and find the black, cold, dead eyes to be creepy. Give me a good ole normal action figure over one any day.

• Like 1

Just now, natedammit said:

I'm with Roy here. Who is this supposed to be?

156813894.jpeg

I didn't say they were good, just that I like them! To be fair, I am yet to see any kind of figure/statue that actually looks anything like Bill Murray. Or the rest of the GB's really.

• Like 1

Not that I've looked at many but a lot of the cheaper items don't really look that much like who they are supposed to be.  I love the Hot Toys Strange but even that there's something slightly not right about it

doctor-strange_marvel_feature.jpg

6 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Not that I've looked at many but a lot of the cheaper items don't really look that much like who they are supposed to be.  I love the Hot Toys Strange but even that there's something slightly not right about it

doctor-strange_marvel_feature.jpg

You're right, it's pretty good, but the face doesn't look quite... annoying enough. 

• Like 2

Dont understand the love for them either, they are just mostly cheap, plasticy, poorly designed looking caricatures.

Or maybe I should word it better, they are not my "style" of art at all. I love realistic looking toys more I guess, bobble heads hurt my eyes in general haha

I know some are literally addicted to them. People have hundreds, taking over their homes haha No bad thing if you love em I guess :-D but damn they take up a lot of room!

We all have addictions. So each to their own, but I couldn't have one in my home, too ugly for me haha

Edited by RomeroSavini
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The main appeal of them to me is the hunt, some of them are exclusives for cool characters and can be very satisfying to find one, although can completely understand the hate for them and they’re definitely overpriced 

I'll agree with you. They were everywhere yesterday. As were the 'mystery loot bags' which probably contained more of the same kind of stuff. The only reason I'd buy one is to sell it on ebay for more than I paid for it. But trying to research which one of those soulless bobbleheads to buy would cause me to lose the will to live, so...

• Like 1

I don't like them either. I think they're pointless and overpriced. Instead of wasting plastic making these things, they could make some really nice detailed action figures of some of the characters they create instead that actually LOOK like the characters they are supposed to be. The Pops are just mass produced, unattractive and boring. I have a Wonder Woman one, she'll be following the Pamela Anderson one I had, to the local charity shop. I tried but I just don't like them and I can't find any appeal or collectibility in them no matter how hard I try.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 4:08 PM, MichaelJG said:

I know this is probably slightly controversial, but I REALLY hate Funko Pops! These horribly designed mass-produced plastic figures seem to be everywhere I look and I can't be the only person who can't stand them. I think my main issue is that at every ComicCon there are seemingly endless stacks of these lifeless cookie-cutter characters that are overpriced and seemingly have people going crazy to collect them. Also, it's now really difficult to find any decent quality action figures or figurines which actually look like the characters they're supposed to represent, as every retailer has filled their shelves with the soulless little bobble-heads!

Someone, please tell me I'm not the only one who feels like this. Bring back proper quality collectables, and let's see the end of these things!

I don't like Funko Pops so I'm with you on that.  I don't mind people collecting them though, I can see the desire to collect them.  My only criticism is that most of the trade stands are packed with them and I feel they perhaps take up space for other products some of these traders could be selling.  When I go to a con I'm usually looking for some very specific items, this year LFCC was just a tsunami of pops though and that was disappointing.  I spoke to a few traders at the show that had additional items they could get for me, they couldn't bring them to the event because they'd committed all their space to pops.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:01 PM, VikingGrrrl said:

I love them :wub: They are the cutest!

But I have to agree that there are way to many of them at cons. It's the one thing I don't buy at a con so it's actually annoying that there are so may of them there.

Will have to agree with you on that. I do love them but there were quite a few stalls full of them.