Protecting Signed DVD/Blu Rays'

Hi,

I have been coming to SM events for over 10 years, I don't post much on the forum but lurk frequently :rolleyes:

I have a number of signed DVDs and Blu Rays, I like them because it means I look at the autographs regularly and they aren't just stored in an acetate free wallet/box etc

But I was wondering if anyone can provide any advice or pointers as to how autograph/ink friendly the plastic covering the outer sleeves on DVDs and Blu Rays are? (or would you recommend storing the sleeves separately in acetate free wallets)

Thank you.   

If there's any doubt I'd store them safely.  If you have or can get access to a scanner you can always scan the covers and put the scans in the cases so you can still see the auto's but the real ones are safe.

• Like 1

Just now, Raylenth said:

If there's any doubt I'd store them safely.  If you have or can get access to a scanner you can always scan the covers and put the scans in the cases so you can still see the auto's but the real ones are safe.

That's what I'm planning on doing

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Thank you, they seem to be surviving okay so far but I am planning on getting Val Kilmer to sign my Doors Blu Ray and I think I will definitely be scanning that one and protecting the 'real' cover -  Sound advice Raylenth.

Edited by Victoria

23 minutes ago, Victoria said:

Thank you, they seem to be surviving okay so far but I am planning on getting Val Kilmer to sign my Doors Blu Ray and I think I will definitely be scanning that one and protecting the 'real' cover -  Sound advice Raylenth.

I have a VHS cover signed by some of the Who people from probably 22 years ago that's still in it's case because I've never really thought about it and I think they were fine, at least they were when I looked at it last a year or so ago.  I'm sure they will be fine if they have been so far, but sometimes if it makes no aesthetic difference it's better to be safe than sorry.

I started coming to Showmasters events in 2011 and always get a few DVD/blu ray sleeves signed, all mine have lasted so far and show no signs of fading.  For example, I got 3 DVD sleeves signed by John Hurt at the Entertainment Media Show in 2011 and they all look great.  However, within a couple of years I was buying 8x10s as well as getting essential DVD sleeves signed, and I protect these in proper acid free autograph sleeves.  So SM are certainly getting their money's worth from me!! :help:

6 hours ago, Raylenth said:

I have a VHS cover signed by some of the Who people from probably 22 years ago that's still in it's case because I've never really thought about it and I think they were fine, at least they were when I looked at it last a year or so ago.  I'm sure they will be fine if they have been so far, but sometimes if it makes no aesthetic difference it's better to be safe than sorry.

Yes indeed... some mine are about 8 year old and they look like they have just been signed, no smudges or ink transferring onto the clear plastic and I like the format cos it keeps them flat and clean and they almost look framed if that makes sense. My only fear with photo copies is they may look like an auto pen or pre print, but for the rarer signers it will be worth doing. 

2 hours ago, MVronsky78 said:

I started coming to Showmasters events in 2011 and always get a few DVD/blu ray sleeves signed, all mine have lasted so far and show no signs of fading.  For example, I got 3 DVD sleeves signed by John Hurt at the Entertainment Media Show in 2011 and they all look great.  However, within a couple of years I was buying 8x10s as well as getting essential DVD sleeves signed, and I protect these in proper acid free autograph sleeves.  So SM are certainly getting their money's worth from me!! :help:

I got John Hurts autograph too, on an Elephant Man DVD. Looks great, I do like 10 x 8s. the ones I have are all in an an acetate free folder, along with my original photo shoot pics.  

• Like 2

I've got loads of them signed and some are ten years old and they're still okay. The only thing I'd add is try to keep them out of the sunlight. I have stuff on the wall faded quite badly (not the auto but the surrounding poster). I'm not sure how faded a dvd/blu ray sleeve might become. At least if you just keep them on the shelf with the spine out it will protect the cover and auto from sunlight

39 minutes ago, RomeroSavini said:

Just keep them out of light. I have one cast signed Shaun of the Dead dvd from only 15 years ago and its faded so much you cannot read them anymore. Only from being displayed for a few years, not even in a sunny room, UV destroys signatures  :-(

And are the plastic on dvd/bluray sleeves acid free?

2 minutes ago, Chris1970 said:

Never thought about that, you would think so, but again you now got me pondering :eek:

Mine was taken out of the dvd sleeve and framed in my wall, guess I needed UV glass haha You learn....

5 minutes ago, RomeroSavini said:

Never thought about that, you would think so, but again you now got me pondering :eek:

Mine was taken out of the dvd sleeve and framed in my wall, guess I needed UV glass haha You learn....

I know that, like you say, UV is a bad boy against autos, and so is non-acid free plastic and paper. I keep all my autos stored acid free and dark. Whatever I have on display is scanned copies. Just to be on the safe side.

Edited by Chris1970

2 hours ago, Chris1970 said:

That's why I was asking..

Mine are all stored away from sunlight and I even have them facing the wrong way so the spine is against the back of the storage unit so it doesn't  fade.;)

Have to say so far so good though..

I just want to enjoy them as much as possible, that's why I get the cover signed so I look at them lots but as long as they last 40 year or so I'm good with that..

Thank you for your input everyone. :thumbup:

• Like 1