Autograph prints and pens

DrBungle

Not the snappiest of titles I know, but bear with me.

I've been scanning some of my autographs recently ,and it's made me realise that I need to start taking it a bit more seriously.

Ive never taken my own prints and pens, and when I look back at some of the pen choices that have gone onto the autographs, they could have looked so much better than what they have. So with that in mind:

a) where do people recommend getting quality prints from?

b) what brand/type of pens are people using ?

c) pen colour choices . I'm thinking black or blue for lighter coloured photos, with silver for darker prints.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated

The only places I've bought prints from are Boots and Stateside stills - Boots I've printed my own but is very much dependent on the quality of the image you can find and upload, Stateside Stills I have no complaints about and would recommend.  The images I've bought from them are all high quality and since they've sorted postage out you now get them in a couple of days.  Their selection can be limited though, especially to an actors more prominent roles, I'm struggling to find a decent pic of Gina Torres in Hannibal for example.

Pens I mainly use Sharpies because you really can't go wrong with them, but if you want a paint pen Posca are really good.  But you do have to make sure the paint pens are primed properly when you are queuing and that for anything shiny it will take ages to dry and you have to be really careful with.

Colour is very dependent on what colour the item you are getting signed is because you want something contrasting that will stand out so it's hard to advise on that as it will be very different depending on the item.  Gold works well with most things.

My Defenders poster I started in silver Sharpie, but changed to Posca silver when I can as the paint stands out a lot better - most of these are still the Sharpie but you can see in the top right Tennant's sig is very faint in comparison, the ones I've added since in paint all look lovely

20180729_203818

I can never get a good photo of this one, but it's all in bronze Sharpie

20170731_172221

My Doctor Strange poster is a b u g g e r to pick pen colours for (this isn't my poster, but I do have this one and have sigs on it)  It's so colourful that there's no pen colour I can use on the bottom left quadrant as nothing will really stand out!

Image result for doctor strange cinema quad poster

Edited by Raylenth

4 minutes ago, natedammit said:

Just a random tip that if you have a paper based poster, it is impossible to remove sharpie ink, so if a guest makes a mistake that is that poster ruined for eternity.

Oh no! that would be totally terrible! Hunt that guest down and murder her in punishment, whoever she was!

Edited by Raylenth

39 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Oh no! that would be totally terrible! Hunt that guest down and murder her in punishment, whoever she was!

Firstly, I see what you did there and found it super, girl. Secondly, I'd imagine if it ever were to happen, it would be entirely my fault and my burden to bear.

58 minutes ago, DrBungle said:

Thanks for the tips. Really appreciate it . 

Wasn't even aware of paint pens before this thread. Assuming a more narrow tip etc.

On the contrary, a middle nib is better.  @Wrong Name can always remember better than me what size is best but I think it might be the 3m.  For a really small item the thin nib might be better but for 8x10's and posters the medium is better as the imprint is too narrow on the thinner nibs.  Also it pays to be aware that there is a chance of splodging if the nib is pressed down so it's best to prime it in the queue which means lots of shaking to make sure the paint is properly mixed, and test it on a post it or something before you get to the front to make sure its flowing properly.  But yeah, the colours and the imprint are a bit sharper with the paint pens.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, natedammit said:

Firstly, I see what you did there and found it super, girl. Secondly, I'd imagine if it ever were to happen, it would be entirely my fault and my burden to bear.

I see what you did there as well! :laugh: It wasn't your fault the guest was blind and an idiot!

42 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I see what you did there as well! :laugh: It wasn't your fault the guest was blind and an idiot!

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Re the OP though, I personally highly recommend getting big lumps of wood signed. They're totes easy to carry around, the weight is not at all annoying, and if somebody does something you don't like (say, as a completely random example, drawing a big lump of cheese on it) you can just get your industrial belt sander on it.

1 hour ago, Raylenth said:

On the contrary, a middle nib is better.  @Wrong Name can always remember better than me what size is best but I think it might be the 3m.  For a really small item the thin nib might be better but for 8x10's and posters the medium is better as the imprint is too narrow on the thinner nibs.  Also it pays to be aware that there is a chance of splodging if the nib is pressed down so it's best to prime it in the queue which means lots of shaking to make sure the paint is properly mixed, and test it on a post it or something before you get to the front to make sure its flowing properly.  But yeah, the colours and the imprint are a bit sharper with the paint pens.

I personally prefer the 5M but I mainly use them on a2 size posters

• Like 1

One thing to warn for the paint pens, is that they do take a long time to dry, so you have to be VERY careful once they have been signed as you could end up with a smudged mess, which has unfortunately happened to me a few times. You also need to have them prepped and ready to go before handing them to the guest as there is a kind of ‘setup procedure’ for them (shaking them and dabbing the nib several hundred times). You also have to hope they don’t leak a tonne of paint out when the guest uses them, which is rare, but can happen. I know this all sounds a bit bad, but the results are worth it, I think.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Need pen advice.

Got a black background maxi sized poster printed on glossy photo paper. I've had silver sharpies smear when other similar posters have been signed. 

I'm needing yellow ink on mine so do I go Posca Paint pen, Deco paint pen or sharpie paint pens in oil or water?

I know some will take a while to dry but worried when I roll up the posters tight the signature will flake off.

Any advice on what to get to sign them?

55 minutes ago, Bhup said:

Need pen advice.

Got a black background maxi sized poster printed on glossy photo paper. I've had silver sharpies smear when other similar posters have been signed. 

I'm needing yellow ink on mine so do I go Posca Paint pen, Deco paint pen or sharpie paint pens in oil or water?

I know some will take a while to dry but worried when I roll up the posters tight the signature will flake off.

Any advice on what to get to sign them?

I've only used Posca so can't comment on the others, if you have the time/money sometimes it's best to buy the pens in the colour you want and a second poster and test them all.  Previous experience has taught that sometime the colour comes out differently than you think it will and might not be the shade you want, and the paper/finish can effect it as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I've only used Posca so can't comment on the others, if you have the time/money sometimes it's best to buy the pens in the colour you want and a second poster and test them all.  Previous experience has taught that sometime the colour comes out differently than you think it will and might not be the shade you want, and the paper/finish can effect it as well.

Was it on photo paper you used it on? 

How did it turn out?

I'm going to test on poster that's the same material. With London coming up I really need to figure out which pens to buy on eBay and try out.  

3 minutes ago, Bhup said:

Was it on photo paper you used it on? 

How did it turn out?

I'm going to test on poster that's the same material. With London coming up I really need to figure out which pens to buy on eBay and try out.  

I've tested on spare 8x10's I've had lying around, cheap crappy glossy posters and used on heavy card stock posters, and I found them all pretty much fine.  I don't like sharpie paint pens but it is best to test for yourself to see if you like the finish/colour, and to learn how to use them.

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I've tested on spare 8x10's I've had lying around, cheap crappy glossy posters and used on heavy card stock posters, and I found them all pretty much fine.  I don't like sharpie paint pens but it is best to test for yourself to see if you like the finish/colour, and to learn how to use them.

Are Posca not paint pens just like the sharpie ones?

How long did they take to dry for you?

No flaking or anything as I'll wait a few minutes for them to dry but as I'll have a lot to do I'll be rolling them up and putting them into a poster tube as quickly as I can to move onto other guests. Don't want them to smear or rub off on the rest of the paper

2 minutes ago, Bhup said:

Are Posca not paint pens just like the sharpie ones?

How long did they take to dry for you?

No flaking or anything as I'll wait a few minutes for them to dry but as I'll have a lot to do I'll be rolling them up and putting them into a poster tube as quickly as I can to move onto other guests. Don't want them to smear or rub off on the rest of the paper

They are both paint pens yes, but just like everything opinions differ and personally I've not had good results when I tested some of the sharpie ones so I don't bother with them, lots of people use them though.

Different times depending on what you are getting signed, the glossier the item the longer it takes and sometimes that is a long time indeed, so much so that you really can't safely roll up/put away your item for quite a while but I found on the heavy card stock it was pretty much instantly fine.  If you put it away before it's ready you risk ruining it.

Really all I can suggest is you buy a sample of each pen brand and test them on something, then you can see for yourself if you have a preference, how the nib sizes and colours come out and how long they take to dry.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

They are both paint pens yes, but just like everything opinions differ and personally I've not had good results when I tested some of the sharpie ones so I don't bother with them, lots of people use them though.

Different times depending on what you are getting signed, the glossier the item the longer it takes and sometimes that is a long time indeed, so much so that you really can't safely roll up/put away your item for quite a while but I found on the heavy card stock it was pretty much instantly fine.  If you put it away before it's ready you risk ruining it.

Really all I can suggest is you buy a sample of each pen brand and test them on something, then you can see for yourself if you have a preference, how the nib sizes and colours come out and how long they take to dry.

We talking a few minutes or longer? It's pretty thick glossy photo paper. Could even hold it while lining up for other guests to sign it. Would get some figures signed too with it. I'll juggle them for a bit until dry. 

What would you recommend for the size. I'm looking at 3M and 5M nibs

I would like to get a poster signed but it’s a glossy finish (which I wasn’t expecting). I have no knowledge of pens or types, what do you think is the best type or brand to get for a glossy poster? The poster is white background so was thinking black ink for the autographs, thanks :rolleyes:

Just now, extremeladders said:

I would like to get a poster signed but it’s a glossy finish (which I wasn’t expecting). I have no knowledge of pens or types, what do you think is the best type or brand to get for a glossy poster? The poster is white background so was thinking black ink for the autographs, thanks :rolleyes:

I've been testing with pens all week.

My glossy poster black sharpie is great. Silver etc smears right off. Got gold on one of and still wet after 3 months.

I've tried Posca Paint pens and sharpies and try to smear them quickly with my fingers and after a small wait. Been fantastic. Same with oil based sharpies.

I'd try the black basic sharpie and wait a bit for it to dry. 30 seconds or so

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Glad to hear you have tested them Bhup.

Took your advice. Currently got 15 more colours of Posca I just bought an hour ago and testing what colours come out looking against what backgrounds and what size tip to use. 

5M for a thicker signature on a larger poster and 3M for figures seems ok.

With 2 weeks until London had to go into overdrive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bhup said:

Took your advice. Currently got 15 more colours of Posca I just bought an hour ago and testing what colours come out looking against what backgrounds and what size tip to use. 

5M for a thicker signature on a larger poster and 3M for figures seems ok.

With 2 weeks until London had to go into overdrive. 

Definitely worth taking the time to test. I have some paint pens that are amazing (again IMO) and dried super fast on everything I tested them on. Used them extensively. No idea what the Star Wars Blu-Ray Box set is coated in but it resulted in this. Just goes to show that you can test and test and test but sometimes it’ll still happen.

6225a2c7-5f66-4fc5-96e6-2e0593e7b364-ori

• Sad 3

26 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

Definitely worth taking the time to test. I have some paint pens that are amazing (again IMO) and dried super fast on everything I tested them on. Used them extensively. No idea what the Star Wars Blu-Ray Box set is coated in but it resulted in this. Just goes to show that you can test and test and test but sometimes it’ll still happen.

6225a2c7-5f66-4fc5-96e6-2e0593e7b364-ori

All the ones I've tested are dry within seconds on posters but still I'll be waiting a bit.

On plastic they take a while to dry. Silver paint pens seem to still be a pain and smear and take a little longer. But so many other colours I'd rather use anyway.

Did that happen after you put it away or during the signing?

21 minutes ago, Bhup said:

All the ones I've tested are dry within seconds on posters but still I'll be waiting a bit.

On plastic they take a while to dry. Silver paint pens seem to still be a pain and smear and take a little longer. But so many other colours I'd rather use anyway.

Did that happen after you put it away or during the signing?

To be fair it was my fault. I’m usually good and keep it safe for a small while but I was in a hurry and had to put it away earlier than I usually would. It had been drying instantly on everything else so I assumed it would be dry.