To Diamond Pass or not to Diamond Pass

Sorry, I didn't want to new thread but couldn't figure where to post without hijacking something else...

I've done Comicon about 5-6 times now, never bought a Diamond pass because I dislike photo-shoots. So I'm always getting there super early and getting a low numbered virtual queue ticket, and 90% of the time I'm lucky and get my autograph.

Last year that wasn't the case. Peter Weller talked A LOT (which I can totally understand) so barely got through any of his VQ tickets. I missed out.

This year - Brendan Fraser is a must meet for me. So the question is do I either:

1. Wing it with an early arrival and VQ ticket and hope for the best
  2. Buy a Diamond Pass

And if I buy a Diamond Pass, is there anything preventing me from selling the photoshoot opportunity to someone else? I really don't want it. I'm not fussed about the talk or the gift either.

Thanks!
Dan

Edited by crazydan182

The decision on whether to buy it or not is totally up to you, you seem to have a handle on what it all involves.

To answer your question though, all tickets are non-transferable meaning that they need to be used by the named person on the ticket and cannot be sold on in part or as an entire pass. If SM find that a pass or ticket has been sold on they will cancel it without refund, I believe.

8 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

The decision on whether to buy it or not is totally up to you, you seem to have a handle on what it all involves.

To answer your question though, all tickets are non-transferable meaning that they need to be used by the named person on the ticket and cannot be sold on in part or as an entire pass. If SM find that a pass or ticket has been sold on they will cancel it without refund, I believe.

Ah thank you, so that answers my question then - the purchaser must use the entire DP. I thought that might be the case.

So the choice remains - book the whole thing in advance or gamble on VQ. You can see though why a Diamond Pass seems like tremendous overkill to me when I just want a guaranteed autograph :lol:

35 minutes ago, crazydan182 said:

Ah thank you, so that answers my question then - the purchaser must use the entire DP. I thought that might be the case.

So the choice remains - book the whole thing in advance or gamble on VQ. You can see though why a Diamond Pass seems like tremendous overkill to me when I just want a guaranteed autograph :lol:

You cna always use the pre order service as you will get his auto that way, you wouldn't get to meet him unless you then bought a photo for that purpose but it's an option.

5 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

You cna always use the pre order service as you will get his auto that way, you wouldn't get to meet him unless you then bought a photo for that purpose but it's an option.

I hadn't considered this. I always go for the 'meet and autograph' thing (I think it means more to acquire the signing in person) but if it's between that and not getting one at all, I may have to settle for the pre-order service. Thanks for the suggestion :)

7 hours ago, crazydan182 said:

I hadn't considered this. I always go for the 'meet and autograph' thing (I think it means more to acquire the signing in person) but if it's between that and not getting one at all, I may have to settle for the pre-order service. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Maybe buy a ticket for the talk as well if you can go the day it's on, you still don't get to meet him, but you will see him and hear him talk so it will be a bit more personal.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Mayhem said:

He's not there Friday, so it puts more pressure on regular people wanting to meet him not buying Diamond but only going VQ. If you think it's worth it, I'd say cough up for Diamond.

Yeah I'm beginning to think that. Again though, I find photoshoots the most awkward thing in the world and really don't enjoy them, but then again it's that potential 'all or nothing' situation.

I mean I am pretty canny. I even managed to see Sigourney on VQ tickets, but nobody gets that lucky twice right? :D

If it helps I was in the same boat. A few years ago I wanted to meet Christopher Lloyd so got a VQ ticket. It was quite a low number from what I remember but between him taking his time signing and the amount of Diamonds / VQ tickets I missed out. 

Luckily he was announced for the following year so didn't hesitate in getting his Diamond pass this time.

Like you I hate photos but I just think of these as added time with the guest and they're just filed away behind the autographs never to be seen again.

• Thanks 1

If I take Brendan Fraser's Diamond Pass on Saturday, I can the photo shoot be one of the first even with the sold-out Batch 1 or even with the Diamond Pass touches me the available batch?Who has the Diamond Pass takes precedence in autographs?

22 minutes ago, Lecter said:

If I take Brendan Fraser's Diamond Pass on Saturday, I can the photo shoot be one of the first even with the sold-out Batch 1 or even with the Diamond Pass touches me the available batch?Who has the Diamond Pass takes precedence in autographs?

Sorry, I am not totally sure if I am understanding correct.

Diamond Passes get priority for both photos and autographs. 

For the busy shoots Diamond Pass will likely be called in batches too. So Diamond Batch 1 goes first, then Diamond Batch 2 and so on up to the last batch of the Diamonds. After that the regular batches are being called: photo batch 1, followed by batch 2 and again up to the last batch.

Diamonds do get priority for the guest they bought the Diamond Pass for. So for Brendan each day it will be Diamond 1, Diamond 2 up to the last batch of Diamond. Then Virtual Queue tickets will be called in groups of about 30.-

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, hulk2099 said:

i found getting a gold pass may help you jump the Virtual Queue tickets but not the diamond pass people & its valid all weekend and its cheaper :-)

Fir Diamond Pass guests Gold Pass holders do require Virtual Queue tickets too. The Gold Pass does not give you priority over VQ tickets for Diamond Pass guests. The only advantage a Gold Pass has for Diamond guests is that you get earlier access to the venue and thus better chances to get a lower VQ ticket number. 

7 hours ago, Queen_Sindel said:

Fir Diamond Pass guests Gold Pass holders do require Virtual Queue tickets too. The Gold Pass does not give you priority over VQ tickets for Diamond Pass guests. The only advantage a Gold Pass has for Diamond guests is that you get earlier access to the venue and thus better chances to get a lower VQ ticket number. 

Previous years the entrance for a gold pass was on the other side of the building so if you were (for example) the 25th person in line with a GP you would still be at your guest's table at the same time as the first ones in the queue for regular entrance. So unless you're in the queue very early, it's not really an advantage (in my opinion).

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:41 PM, spengler said:

Sometimes you just have to throw your hands in the the air and go for it. If it was a must for me I'd just get the diamond (fund availability of course)

Agreed. I would also suggest a pro and cons list if your not too entirely sure .

• 2 weeks later...

This would make a great option for future events.....

A diamond autograph only, slightly more expensive than a vq auto.

You can buy a photo only, so why not an auto only?

I am also not a fan a photos....B)

Edited by AckAck

49 minutes ago, AckAck said:

This would make a great option for future events.....

A diamond autograph only, slightly more expensive than a vq auto.

You can buy a photo only, so why not an auto only?

I am also not a fan a photos....B)

Because then you end up with tons of different combinations and it's too much to keep track of and harder for the staff to police if they have to recognise loads of different ticket types and which has priority over what.  

Photo's are much easier to deal with as they know how long it takes the photog to take one, so can pretty concisely control the session numbers and know how many they can sell and get through, auto's are far harder to regulate as there are more variables.

Edited by Raylenth

Yeah i might have to same problem,with the announcement they made yesterday there's a chance they might announce somebody i really want to get an autograph from but i don't like taken my photo aswell so the photoshoot isn't a must but if it is a really big guest the chance is they will sell al lot of diamond passes and is the chance that i will miss out with a VQ ticket..

I prefer autographs, but if it's someone I definitely want to see and there's a high chance I will miss them with a VQ I opt for the photo. And if they come again, I can try for an autograph. Did that last year with Aidan Turner (couldn't afford a DP for him).

On 6/6/2019 at 12:06 AM, Queen_Sindel said:

I was told it allows you to join the que behind the diamond pass holders and found it to be good for diamond guests who didnt have huge lines of people and I was able to join in the back of the line without a virtual ticket in front of those who had a virtual ticket. Was I just lucky?

14 minutes ago, hulk2099 said:

I was told it allows you to join the que behind the diamond pass holders and found it to be good for diamond guests who didnt have huge lines of people and I was able to join in the back of the line without a virtual ticket in front of those who had a virtual ticket. Was I just lucky?

Yes.  Gold pass holders still need a VQ for all DP guests and have to wait for their number to be called like people without the Gold do.  As QS says the Gold Pass benefits aren't applicable to DP guests.

Edited by Raylenth