Guests & Selfies

Lawrance

22 hours ago, Chris1970 said:

He just signs his name. Of what I have seen.

21 hours ago, Raylenth said:

Shatner is known as a signing machine, he's very quick and gets through a lot of people (Usually)

Cool, that kind of makes up my mind, skip the Diamond Pass, see if I can get him on the day! Thanks guys, leaves some money for other guests!

On 3/11/2019 at 3:48 PM, Blairy550 said:

When you say that, do you mean he won't even sign something like, "To <Insert Name Here>"?

Also, is he one of these guys who just signs as many as possible? In away it would be nice as I probably then could get away not getting a Diamond Pass for him and just arrive early, and I wouldn't want to spend a whole bunch of money on a DP if I didn't even get a look from him :P

He zips through people so I only got a few seconds with him (I'd gone in expecting this to be the case), but I asked if he could make it out to me, and he didn't seem to have a problem with it. Worth asking.gSxLrTU.jpg

Edited by Joey JoJo Junior Shabadoo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve never quite been able to understand Shatner’s autograph - at least the beginning part - is it a W hence, Will or William or a B for Bill.

The Shatner part is just about legible, the small looking “l” in the middle perhaps being in fact an S with the taller letter next to it bring the “h” and the noticeable “t” beginning the line at the end which presumably comprises the “ner”.

Fact is he does it so fast I’m sure I’m wasting my time analysing it!

4 minutes ago, Diabolik said:

I’ve never quite been able to understand Shatner’s autograph - at least the beginning part - is it a W hence, Will or William or a B for Bill.

The Shatner part is just about legible, the small looking “l” in the middle perhaps being in fact an S with the taller letter next to it bring the “h” and the noticeable “t” beginning the line at the end which presumably comprises the “ner”.

Fact is he does it so fast I’m sure I’m wasting my time analysing it!

fb8c0aea66a66562fff59ee74bbdb3af.jpg

This seems to be an old example of his auto. It looks like he has a little run up before his 'W', which over the years has become more loopy to look like this:

26034.jpg

Then these days he just rushes through it so it ends up like this:

william-shatner.jpg

I'd think it would be useful if LFCC could post beforehand whether or not a guest will accept selfies at their tables. I know a lot of people who were a bit miffed at LFCC spring when they found out about 80% of the guests were accepting selfies when they had already paid for a photo shoot. Some people prefer photo shoot. Some people prefer selfie if it's available.

20 minutes ago, gracet125 said:

I'd think it would be useful if LFCC could post beforehand whether or not a guest will accept selfies at their tables. I know a lot of people who were a bit miffed at LFCC spring when they found out about 80% of the guests were accepting selfies when they had already paid for a photo shoot. Some people prefer photo shoot. Some people prefer selfie if it's available.

For most guests even showmasters doesn't know this in advance (except really big guests which is almost certainly a 'No') that's why you always got to book a photo op to be certain that you got a picture at the end of the day.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gracet125 said:

Also even if guests are doing selfies at one point it doesn't mean they are doing it for the entirety of their visit as they have to stop if it's too much, if they are too busy, or just don't want to any more.  If you say guest X, Y and Z are doing them Saturday, then when you get there they aren't and you've missed the shoot you'd probably be annoyed.

Selfies aren't an automatic option so it's best to consider them that way - if you really want a pic get a photo op, and if you manage to get a free selfie on top of that, yay, but if not, you still have a paid photo.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gracet125 said:

I can't imagine this will be done.

The "Selfie yes or no" Situation is not set in Stone. The Situation can and will Change several times during the Weekend, and very often more than once on the day.

If it's posted here as "yes" and then for some reason it becomes a "no" and the photoshoot is sold out all hell will break lose, and attendees would be perfectly right to complain.

General the Goal is that Selfies are allowed on the table if the Queue size allows for the time. It becomes more doubtful on a Saturday, for one day only guests and almost unlikely for Diamond Guests - even there Tom Baker proved me wrong. :lol:

It wouldn't make any sense for SM to say "Hey guys, don't bother buying a photoshoot, these guests are doing free selfies!!!" I also hope glad SM keep their general stance on not allowing guests to charge for selfies. 

• Like 1

Yeah the charging for photos at the desk would hurt the con thats for sure. And our wallets...

I was asked for a tenner from a guest last year for a photo at his desk after they signed my photo, I just walked away not very happy that he didnt seem to know it doesnt go on at these events. It puts a dampener on meeting someone when they just turn and say a tenner to your face. 

2 minutes ago, RomeroSavini said:

Yeah the charging for photos at the desk would hurt the con thats for sure. And our wallets...

I was asked for a tenner from a guest last year for a photo at his desk after they signed my photo, I just walked away not very happy that he didnt seem to know it doesnt go on at these events. It puts a dampener on meeting someone when they just turn and say a tenner to your face. 

I think that happens because most other events either allow selfies but charge for them all, or in the case of one, don't allow them at all, so I'd forgive the guest for getting mixed up maybe and assume they can charge for them.  If it does happen again mention it to the pit boss if you can find them and they will have a word with the guest.

1 minute ago, Chris1970 said:

You got to remember that the autograph area is foremost for..autographs, otherwise why not fully skip photo op's.

This.  This isn't directed at gracet at all, but as they raised the question and we are answering it, it's something there are often comments on.  Auto sessions are for autographs.  It might only take 30 seconds for a selfie but if everyone does them that time quickly adds up and translates into a lot of people not getting their auto's.  I have no problem with people asking for them if the guest is quiet or the queue isn't massively busy/going quickly but there seems to be a growing expectation that people have a right to get selfies.  Auto sessions for busy guests are for auto's and should be kept for that.

I went to a different event not long ago and they had a sign up at the desk saying it was x amount for an autograph, x amount for a selfie and x amount for both. I don't know if that might be an option? It was a much smaller event than LFCC though.

2 minutes ago, RomeroSavini said:

Hm, not good. Last years LFCC I was asked by some if I wanted a selfie (free of course) before I got a chance to ask. ^_^ And this year at LCC Spring I even got selfies on my phone and on hers, that has only happened a handful of times before over the years. One busy guest has even told me if I wanted a selfie to come back later when the queue was lesser, I did and got it. ^_^ But these are very very rare things to happen. The main thing is to keep and eye on how busy the guest is, the info at the desk and see if anyone else is lucky before you. Ask..dont expect even if 1 or 3 ahead of you gets one. I have been in queues where ppl have gotten selfie and by the time it was my turn to get an auto the rules have changed. Just how things are.

5 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I have no problem with people asking for them if the guest is quiet or the queue isn't massively busy/going quickly but there seems to be a growing expectation that people have a right to get selfies.  Auto sessions for busy guests are for auto's and should be kept for that.

The expectation..so true.  

16 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

I went to a different event not long ago and they had a sign up at the desk saying it was x amount for an autograph, x amount for a selfie and x amount for both. I don't know if that might be an option? It was a much smaller event than LFCC though.

As Showmasters don't charge for selfies, no :laugh:

36 minutes ago, Raylenth said:
52 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

As Showmasters don't charge for selfies, no :laugh:

There does seem to be a move towards that on the convention scene though. And it sucks. 

1 minute ago, natedammit said:

There does seem to be a move towards that on the convention scene though. And it sucks. 

It does and it does, but I can see the possible reasoning - if tons are people are asking for them it takes away from income earned through auto's so why not charge for them.

1 minute ago, Raylenth said:

It does and it does, but I can see the possible reasoning - if tons are people are asking for them it takes away from income earned through auto's so why not charge for them.

It is either that or full stop perhaps. 

10 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Because I don't like it and I'm super important.

12 minutes ago, Chris1970 said:

It is either that or full stop perhaps. 

Eventually I imagine Things may come to that Point.

But I have not heard of any Change to the current Situation: either free Selfies or None. SM want to give that Bonus to the attendees as Long as possible I think.

• Like 1