TV shows watched in 2019

Raylenth

lost: I've been slowly moving through the series but only had season 5-6 left.

dollhouse season 1: Rewatched because I wanted to watch season 2, now I have seemed to have misplaced season 2.

doctor who season 11: About two episodes in so far.

also making my way through friends. Enjoying everything that I am watching so far.

Daniel Deronda

A BBC period piece based on a George Elliot novel.  Lovely sets and costumes and an interesting series, very victorian in tone with controlling evil husbands and spoiled entitled ladies who hope to marry into money (standard victorian stuff really!) but I liked it.

Lookit babie Hugh with his silly big hat

Image result for daniel deronda

• 2 weeks later...

The Alienist (Netflix).  A very good series set in NY at the end of the 19th C about a psychiatrist (Alienist) consulted to help catch a serial killer.  It's a good series to watch, quite brutal in the crimes that happen and the depiction of life in the slums of NY at that time period and the discrimination most people suffered in one way or another was eye opening, especially the fates and horrific choices the poor had to make, particularly some of the boys.  It's always one thing to know it happened and another to actually see it when it's depicted realistically.

An impressive cast with some well known names - Luke Evans, Dakota Fanning, Michael Ironside, Daniel Bruhl.  There's a second series coming at some point which is good, I'd definitely recommend it, but with the proviso that there are disturbing scenes and themes in it.

Edited by Raylenth

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Chernobyl. I still remember when it happened. The nurse at school handed out iodine pills for us to take at lunch. All the tests the government did on wild life, berries and mushrooms. At some point they still do. For me it is living history which is still as scary today as it was then.

Series 5 of Black Mirror.  Very good as always and I think they did well again with all the guest stars as it never felt like 'ohh look who we have managed to get'.  The characters they played all seemed organic and not pastiches of anything else I've seen them play.  Andrew Scott is always very good so his episode was as good as I expected it to be, but I found myself surprised at how much I enjoyed the Miley Cyrus episode, particularly the last half.

12 hours ago, Raylenth said:

Series 5 of Black Mirror.  Very good as always and I think they did well again with all the guest stars as it never felt like 'ohh look who we have managed to get'.  The characters they played all seemed organic and not pastiches of anything else I've seen them play.  Andrew Scott is always very good so his episode was as good as I expected it to be, but I found myself surprised at how much I enjoyed the Miley Cyrus episode, particularly the last half.

I watched one episode of Black mirror and honestly didn't like it....

4 minutes ago, Kurdamoni said:

I watched one episode of Black mirror and honestly didn't like it....

That's fair enough, like everything in life, it's not for everyone.  I will say though that if it was the first episode of series 1 you watched, the rest of the series is very different - the first ep is hard to watch because of its subject matter, which whilst very well done and a real 'what if', it is uncomfortable viewing in my opinion.  I wasn't sure I'd watch the rest based on that episode, but I carried on because I'd heard such good things and I'm glad I did.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:42 AM, Raylenth said:

That's fair enough, like everything in life, it's not for everyone.  I will say though that if it was the first episode of series 1 you watched, the rest of the series is very different - the first ep is hard to watch because of its subject matter, which whilst very well done and a real 'what if', it is uncomfortable viewing in my opinion.  I wasn't sure I'd watch the rest based on that episode, but I carried on because I'd heard such good things and I'm glad I did.

Oh yeah, I really didn't like the first episode. Also wasn't a big fan of the second one but I did love the third one with Jodie. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 3:20 PM, The_batflash123 said:

Oh yeah, I really didn't like the first episode. Also wasn't a big fan of the second one but I did love the third one with Jodie. 

I saw an episode of season two or three I think, 'white bear'?

Just finished Stranger Things Season 3. Wow! Obviously the first season was something special, but season 2, although still good, was not as good as I had hoped it would be.They really stepped it back up for Season 3. Awesome story, awesome action, awesome monsters, awesome performances. I love this show and hadn't realised how much I'd missed it until now. Thinking a rewatch of all 3 seasons may be on the cards. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Jessica Jones 3.  Much better than the previous JJ series and a very well done and fitting end to the Marvel TV series.

Agreed really enjoyed it. Shame Netflix can't do anymore.

Poirot's Final Case.  I've been putting this off for a bit because I thought it'd be really sad but it wasn't too bad, sad yes, but not out right bawling thankfully (As I watched it at work).

I don't think the story was quite as engaging as others have been, but a fine last Poirot for David Suchet.

On 7/6/2019 at 5:37 PM, Wrong Name said:

Just finished Stranger Things Season 3. Wow! Obviously the first season was something special, but season 2, although still good, was not as good as I had hoped it would be.They really stepped it back up for Season 3. Awesome story, awesome action, awesome monsters, awesome performances. I love this show and hadn't realised how much I'd missed it until now. Thinking a rewatch of all 3 seasons may be on the cards. 

I finally got round to starting season 2 a couple days ago, good to hear season 3 was so enjoyable :)

• Like 2

On 7/8/2019 at 6:40 PM, Raylenth said:

Poirot's Final Case.  I've been putting this off for a bit because I thought it'd be really sad but it wasn't too bad, sad yes, but not out right bawling thankfully (As I watched it at work).

I don't think the story was quite as engaging as others have been, but a fine last Poirot for David Suchet.

I love Poirot and indeed a worthy closing episode. 

• Like 2

Stranger Things 3.  One of the best series of a show that is in it's own right amazing, and it can't be understated how compelling this series is, so much so that I nearly missed my stop on the train because I was so engrossed in it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Captain Lucas said:

Finally got round to starting Marvel's Agents of Shield this week which I'm enjoying. Well I shouldn't be suprised, I've never seen a Joss Whedon show yet I didn't enjoy.

If you start to doubt it's quality, then stick with it - it gets better.

13 hours ago, natedammit said:

If you start to doubt it's quality, then stick with it - it gets better.

It definitely does. And then it dips again. Last season was a mess. This new one seems to be getting better again though.

The Kominsky Method. Old men pee a lot. And they can’t do things that they used to be able to do. Some interesting character relationships that are played very well aside this is a huge cliche from start to finish.