TV shows watched in 2019

Raylenth

1 minute ago, Broo said:

@Raylenth We have watched the first 4 episodes now, ooft what a good! Loving it, particularly impressed by the actor portraying Kemper but everyone's fantastic in it. Kids are gonna have to go to bed early tonight so I can binge more episodes! :lol:

Kemper is very good isn't he!  Glad you like it.

You do know it's legal to send the kids to bed whilst it's still light outside?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Raylenth said:

Kemper is very good isn't he!  Glad you like it.

You do know it's legal to send the kids to bed whilst it's still light outside?

Interesting... Time to turn dinnertime into a speed-eating competition me thinks! :lol:

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

A Confession.  So often with police shows our enjoyment is based on trying to work out who did it and what happened, as we should because it's fictional, however because A Confession is so well written and acted, it's easy to get dragged into the story and forget that it all really happened, that it's a true story and people and their lives were deeply and utterly altered by what happened.  I'm ashamed to say that I don't remember any of it being in the news, and it would have been.

It's a desperately sad story, both for the families involved and the lead policeman but I would recommend it to anyone.  It's definitely worth a watch, I managed to power through all 6 episodes this evening because it was so compelling.

• Like 1

Watership Down (Netflix/BBC)  This was a good program.  I haven't read the book so can't attest to which it's closer to, the book or the film, but they did manage to use a lot from the film, dialogue ect, whilst making it there own by adding new scenes and changing some of the characters around.

The CGI for the most part was fairly good, the Kehaar/lightning scene in particular, but some of it was pants - the farm dog, the poor thing looked like the result of a bit too much inbreeding to me.

On it's own merits its a good series and was almost as emotional as the original film and they didn't shy away from the violence of it though it might have been toned down a tiny bit.  The only thing that was really a negative for me was that they switched 2 characters involved in a pretty vital and poignant scene, and whilst it was still very emotional, it took something away from it for me, it also took something away from the relationship between 2 characters which I thought was a real shame.  It may have also been affected by the fact that a certain song wasn't in there but on the whole I thought even without that it was a bit weaker for the changes they made.

The only other thing was that a certain new plot point they included about Fiver at the end really wasn't needed and should have been left out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Watership Down (Netflix/BBC)  This was a good program.  I haven't read the book so can't attest to which it's closer to, the book or the film, but they did manage to use a lot from the film, dialogue ect, whilst making it there own by adding new scenes and changing some of the characters around.

The CGI for the most part was fairly good, the Kehaar/lightning scene in particular, but some of it was pants - the farm dog, the poor thing looked like the result of a bit too much inbreeding to me.

On it's own merits its a good series and was almost as emotional as the original film and they didn't shy away from the violence of it though it might have been toned down a tiny bit.  The only thing that was really a negative for me was that they switched 2 characters involved in a pretty vital and poignant scene, and whilst it was still very emotional, it took something away from it for me, it also took something away from the relationship between 2 characters which I thought was a real shame.  It may have also been affected by the fact that a certain song wasn't in there but on the whole I thought even without that it was a bit weaker for the changes they made.

The only other thing was that a certain new plot point they included about Fiver at the end really wasn't needed and should have been left out.

And Peter Capaldi provides the voice for Kehaar. Nuff said. :wub:

4 minutes ago, Peter Capaldi Fan said:

And Peter Capaldi provides the voice for Kehaar. Nuff said. :wub:

I had noted that :D

And I forgot to add that they made Bigwig into a bit of a male appendage for quite a lot of the series.

Edited by Raylenth
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency series 1.  I love Douglas Adams books but when I tried to read DGHDA it didn't grab me so I didn't continue but saw there was a couple of series of it on Netflix and that Elijah Wood is in it so though I'd give it a go.  It's an odd, complex series but a good show and I've enjoyed watching series 1.

17 hours ago, Raylenth said:

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency series 1.  I love Douglas Adams books but when I tried to read DGHDA it didn't grab me so I didn't continue but saw there was a couple of series of it on Netflix and that Elijah Wood is in it so though I'd give it a go.  It's an odd, complex series but a good show and I've enjoyed watching series 1.

Series 2 is weirder and not nearly as good

• 2 weeks later...

The War of The Worlds  - For a series given limited pre-publicity and showing a year later than originally planned this could have been terrible. 

However it was surprising well made. The lead actors were good. The effects were well done. The ending (spoilers) was quite uplifting. 

I wouldn't say this is the absolute best version of the story but it was certainly up there. And one of the closest to the original book albeit with a bit of poetic licence. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peter Capaldi Fan said:

The War of The Worlds  - For a series given limited pre-publicity and showing a year later than originally planned this was could have been terrible. 

However it was surprising well made. The lead actors were good. The effects were well done. The ending (spoilers) was quite uplifting

I wouldn't say this is the absolute worst version of the story but it was certainly up there. And one of the closest to the original book albeit with a bit of poetic licence

FIFY

• Haha 1