Films watched in 2019

Raylenth

19 minutes ago, natedammit said:

I love Men & Chicken so much and Adam's Apples is great too. I'll watch The Green Butchers when I can be bothered. I couldn't honestly promise you'd like them, but they show a very un-Hannibal side to Mads.

OK, I've bought them, hope you are happy now!

1 minute ago, mark worton said:

finally got around to watching la la land wish I hadn't bothered now

Never regret watching a film, as you never know.  Just regret everything else about it.

X-Men Apocalypse.  I've been hoping to be able to watch this before the next film is out and it wasn't available on any service I've got access to and I didn't want to buy it and thankful it was on C4 last night so yay!

It was OK, not a lot happened for quite a long time, but I thought it was a decent X-Men film and I liked the links to the original films.

• Like 1

Pet Sematary (2019)- I am a huge fan of the original film, so I was very happy to find that I also loved this version. This film does a lot different, and I loved the different approach this film took, rather than just copy the story of the original. 

All of the members of the Creed family are outstanding. Jason Clarke and Amy Seimetz give amazing performances, as does John Lithgow as Jud. 

The whole film looked excellent, and was drenched in brilliant atmosphere. The sound design and score was also impeccable. 

The pacing was perfect, and keeping the story so small scale really helped as if allowed for more time to be given to getting to know the family, so when the inevitable goes down I really cared and felt for the characters, even though I knew what was coming.

The main negative I have is that it wasn't really scary. There are some very effective moments, and the atmosphere, and as a result the tension it creates, are fantastic, but an over reliance on jumpscares did irritate me slightly.

Overall- 9/10.

If you're wondering that's the same score I gave to the original. I may be too forgiving to these films, but I absolutely love them both. 

• Like 1

Us_(2019)_theatrical_poster.png

US (2019)

*No spoilers*

I really enjoyed GET OUT (2017) so I really wanted to like this new Jordan Peele film. As far as writer-directors go, Peele seems to have risen through the ranks to become a brand name very quickly so I was eager to see if his second film measured up.

US is a strange blend of horror and science-fiction in the style of THE TWILIGHT ZONE (which Peele has helped revive in a new series). US has a lot going for it with its pacing, tension, characters, humour and story but what it really lacks is logic and explanation; the film asks the viewer to disregard certain plot logistics way too much for my liking and it annoyingly interrupted my enjoyment of what otherwise might have been a very taught and engaging horror-thriller. Like I said, I *really* wanted to like this film. As an aspiring screenwriter myself, I always make sure to provide explanation and plausibility to EVERY plot detail where necessary (in order to NOT lose my audience) so its annoying to see professionals take such lazy short-cuts in screen-writing in hope that their audience "just goes with it". Peele is an Oscar winning screen-writer too, c'mon.

I left the cinema feeling a bit underwhelmed and a strong sense of, "I don't get it". When I got home, I did my research on the plot and watched spoiler explanation videos on YouTube and went over the plot synopsis on Wikipedia. Some of the plot now made sense but there was still a few large gaping holes that I just couldn't get my head around and I refused to just simply suspend my disbelief. There's just too many 'how' and 'why' questions about the logistics surrounding the story and it just spoils everything. It would be interesting to see the film again actually though because there are a lot of easter eggs that subtly foreshadow future events in the film. 

On a technical level though the film looks and sounds great, from the tension, score, pacing and Kubrickian-style cinematography (slow dollies) and it was fun to watch with a packed audience. Jordan Peele is the new horror-guy in Hollywood but it will be interesting to see how long he lasts; will he have a long successful career in the genre or will he burn-out quickly like Eli Roth, M. Night Shyamalan and Rob Zombie etc did?

3.5/5

Edited by nicky
  • Like 1

The Three Musketeers (2011)*  Stupid silly film but an OK watch.  I do like the steampunkiness about it, but it's got James Cordan in it so -100 points

* more beardy with a sword

Image result for mads mikkelsen the three musketeers

Is he going to die in everything?

Blood and Chocolate.  Not the best film ever and I wasn't expecting much based on comments I'd seen.  The acting from most of the cast was a bit hammy, so it was far from the best vehicle for Hugh but most actors have at least one less than stellar project in their catalogue.  One of the themes of the film was dodgy and that wasn't really commented on.  The scenes where they change into wolves was laughable, and some of the other effects were as well.

Image result for hugh dancy blood and chocolate

Tomb Raider (2018)  Not bad.  It suffers from the usual action movie issues of convenient things being convenient (her dad taking far, far longer to succumb to the disease than anyone else did) and it's kind of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade at some points (Her bringing the book with all the answers to the island) and the end reveal was obvious the first time they introduced the character, but on the whole it was OK.  I thought it was a bit better than the Jolie version.

Edited by Raylenth

The Necessary Death Of Charlie Countryman.  It's got Shia LeBeouf in it and I didn't hate him so that must mean it was a good film :lol:.  It was a good film, I enjoyed watching it and would recommend it to anyone.

Oh Nigel, you were a violent mafia guy who deserved to die, but that ending, oh my!

Image result for mads mikkelsen Nigel Ibanescu gifs

1 hour ago, Raylenth said:

The Necessary Death Of Charlie Countryman.  It's got Shia LeBeouf in it and I didn't hate him so that must mean it was a good film :lol:.  It was a good film, I enjoyed watching it and would recommend it to anyone.

Oh Nigel, you were a violent mafia guy who deserved to die, but that ending, oh my!

Image result for mads mikkelsen Nigel Ibanescu gifs

Yeah, I sort of enjoyed this.

• Haha 1

I finally saw Shazam! I'm sure who wanted to see it already have but here goes. I thought it was really funny and very entertaining. It had very likeable characters and never took itself to seriously. It was longer than it needed to be but I would recommend it.

• Like 1

Escape Room (2017)

I noticed that this had been added recently onto Netflix and by the description I was hoping it would be like the SAW films.

Its only a short film but it took about a hour before anything happened and by that time the characters were so unlikable I was past caring. If anybody else had the misfortune to see it can they explain the ending? Who was responsible? Why did they do it? Maybe it's me being dumb lol but I just didn't understand it!

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:54 PM, Tony1975 said:

Escape Room (2017)

I noticed that this had been added recently onto Netflix and by the description I was hoping it would be like the SAW films.

Its only a short film but it took about a hour before anything happened and by that time the characters were so unlikable I was past caring. If anybody else had the misfortune to see it can they explain the ending? Who was responsible? Why did they do it? Maybe it's me being dumb lol but I just didn't understand it!

You took one for the team there mate- I salute you!

Now I can avoid with confidence.

• Haha 1

I'm putting this one up right now as I've just comeback from watching it, but I'll keep it spoiler free:

Avengers: Endgame - It was exactly what I wanted it to be. I laughed and I cried (which I have never done at the cinema before). I left the cinema an exhausted wreck and I think it's gonna take a while to recover. The film has its faults, as all do, but it's the best way to finish off an incredible and historic saga of films that only Marvel could have accomplished. 

• Like 6