Films watched in 2019

Raylenth

My latest viewing  X-Men Dark Phoenix which for me was very disappointing and finishing the 19 year run of the franchise with a whimper more then a bang.  Now Disney have the rights, I can see it being rebooted in a few years time and done properly. 

Godzilla 2: The Stompening.  Didn't like it that much, I found it hard to follow the details of what was going on for a lot of it because here were so many very short shots all changing rapidly and lots of flashing lights in your face.

1 hour ago, Raylenth said:

Godzilla 2: The Stompening.  Didn't like it that much, I found it hard to follow the details of what was going on for a lot of it because here were so many very short shots all changing rapidly and lots of flashing lights in your face.

Who needs details? Big monsters fighting!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

Who needs details? Big monsters fighting!!!!!

Image result for indeed gif

Strap a couple of lasers on them for some pew pews and it would be mega awesome. :lol:  And I do like dragons so a 3 headed one was good to see. Go Ghidorah!

Edited by Raylenth

Late Night.  Just been to the cinema to see it.  Nice little film, not going to win any oscars or anything but it's a decent watch, mildly amusing in places and it made you feel for the characters so that was nice.  A good cast of recognisable names who all performed well.

Image result for LAte Night Hugh Dancy

Had a very nice 90’s movie evening and night. Time to call it a day (night). Started with Dante’s Peak, Twister and finished with Falling Down. As a note I would like to point out that I really like the soundtrack to Twister. ^_^

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

X-Men: Dark Pheonix was good and certainly better than some critics have said. The ending became to reliant on visual effects but it did engage the characters well for a while. It wasn't the best of the series but fans won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

Men In Black: International - A bang average movie only held up by the Chris and Tessa wont't be watching again.

Also rewatched a couple of movies at home...

Aquaman - Preferred it a lot more the 2nd time round actually, not sure if it was just because of watching in the comfort of my own home but just didn't feel as long which was it's main problem to me.

Bumblebee - Still love this film, just feels more like the Transformers of old and Hailee Steinfeld does a brilliant job in it.

Blockers - This film has gone under the radar but I actually quite like it, very funny!

Venom.  I think it helps with films like this if you haven't read the comics as it means you don't have any expectations, but I thought it was a bit 'meh'.  Most of the characters were uninteresting.

Compared to my last updates, this is just a small one:

Cinema

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters - Big dumb monster fun! The plot is almost non-existent, things just happen, but that's not what you're looking for in a film like this. The monsters get a lot more screen time and some of the fight scenes are epic! I do still prefer the first film in this new series to this though. 

Ghostbusters - Saw this on the big screen for the very first time. This is the best movie of all time. unfortunately the screen I saw it on was not the best but I was surrounded by hundreds of hardcore Ghostbusters fans, which made it one of my best cinema experiences ever!

Toy Story 4 - A great continuation of the franchise. If this is where they end it though, I'd be disappointed as it didn't quite hit the emotional notes it could have. Some great new characters and a decent plot. I'll be adding it to my collection.

Brightburn - This turned out to be too much of a jump scare horror for me. I had been looking forward to it but I hadn't realised they were going quite as 'modern horror' with it as they did. Some parts were stretched out and there is a major plot point that doesn't get resolved. Not bad, but not as good as I'd hoped.

Child's Play (2019) - I have become a big fan of the original movies lately (still working my way through them) so I was interested by this but wary as the quality of modern remakes hasn't been great. This did a good job of making it it's own thing, yet still honouring the classic slasher horror. I miss the personality of the original Chucky, and am not a huge fan of the A.I. stuff they did. And as much as I love Mark Hamill, having him do Chucky's voice took me out of the film as I could easily tell it was him.

Home

Child's Play 2 - A nice sequel to the original, continuing the story. This is a poor film in many ways but is great a slasher b-movie. Chucky on form!

Child's Play 3 - I had been wary of this one due to it being linked to some serious events in the 90's, but honestly, this was the worst of the series so far. Chucky was on form, but the plot in the army base was a weird setting that didn't really work for me. Took me so long to realise the main guy was Jimmy Olsen from the New Adventures of Superman!

Leprechaun 2 - Wow this was awful! I still had fun with it but the horror aspect was hardly there and everyone and everything in this film was dumb! I'll keep watching them though!

Can You Ever Forgive Me? - This is a rare thing for me. A Melissa MaCarthy film I actually liked! She works so much better as a dramatic actress than when she does comedy. For me at least. Richard E Grant on form here too. Even though the acts she carries out are criminal, the film makes you understand why she does it and sympathiser with her. Good film.

Creed - Had a rewatch of this, and still love it. A fitting continuation of the Rocky films

Creed II - Well, I watched the first, so why not carry on? Also a great sequel. I hope we get more.

Ghostbusters - I know, I watched it in the cinema, but a new anniversary Blu-Ray came out so I watched it with the fan commentary on. These guys know more about the film and how it was made than the people that made it! Worth a listen.

Ghostbusters II - I carried on and listened to the first ever commentary track for GB2 with the cast and crew. Not nearly as informative as the GB1 fan one but still a good few notes in there.

Edited by Wrong Name
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

I didn’t like the end too much but I think this film is underrated. It shouldn’t have bombed the way it did.

I thought the same, the ending was a little...meh.

Spacewalker (2017)

Russian-made film about the Voskhod (Sunrise) 2 mission that featured the first ever spacewalk.

I found the first few minutes confusing but after I figured out how to put the English subtitles on I was fine!

High quality production with great performances from the lead actors, who also had a good physical resemblance to their characters.

Visual effects were also very good, and the film maintained the sense of drama that occurred during the flight and the tension after the Cosmonauts landed and were awaiting rescue from the middle of nowhere.

Fellow space buffs (if there are any others left on this forum!) will particularly enjoy it.