Films watched in 2019

Raylenth

Bumblebee - Loved it so much I had to see it again this time it was in 4DX. This film had everything for me was fun, nostalgia, Easter eggs cannot speak more highly of this film easily the best Transformers movie since the animated one.

The Favourite - Not really my kind of movie but could see why it had good reviews though. Thought cast were top notch though!

Finally caught these before the release of Glass too

Unbreakable - Didn’t think it was great or bad just a bit average. Thought the concept was there for this but just missed the landing.

Split - Thought this was great! James McAvoy was brilliant!

Edited by only_jay
  • Like 2

About time I put in some of my reviews for the year so far

Cinema

Bumblebee - I agree what many have said here that it is definitely the best Transformers movie we've had so far. Making it a much smaller, more intimate story really worked and Hailee Steinfeld did an excellent job. It wasn't perfect however as I felt the villains to be pretty weak, and as with most Transformers films, it seems to just ignore the law that the previous films had made before it. But we got to see proper Gen 1 Transformers and it was worth it just for that!

Mary Poppins Returns - I've seen that this has received rather harsh reviews, whereas I really enjoyed it! The original is a classic and there was no way that this would instantly catapult itself up to that standard like many had hoped. The plot is solid and hits many similar beats to the first film but not so much that it feels like treading over the same ground. The songs, although not ugly memorable, fit well into the Mary Poppins universe. Will definitely watch this again when available for home viewing.

Stan & Ollie - I would never exactly say that I was a huge Laurel and Hardy fan. I have nothing against them, but they weren't something I was brought up watching. I did see the cartoons a fair bit, but that was it. With that in mind, it might be that I lacked the emotional connection to the double act that the film makers were counting on for this film. I felt sad to see how low the pair had gone since their heyday but it didn't quite pull on my heartstrings as much as I could tell they wanted it to. John C Reily was great as Hardy, but Steve Coogan just seemed like an odd and wrong choice to me. It's ok, but not sure it's going to get another viewing from me at any point.

Aquaman - Saw this again with a friend as they hadn't seen it. I wasn't massively impressed the first time, yet didn't hate it and felt the exact same way this time. The comedy in it is bad.

Home

Bad Times At The El Royale - This film had been advertised as being shrouded in mystery with a great cast and spooky setting. Sadly it did not hold up to my hopes. The cast were great, and the setting was spooky, but the plot overall seemed way too predictable to me and overly cliche in places. A few more twists and turns would have helped make this a bit more thrilling.

Lady Bird - A sweet coming of age story played really well by Saoirse Ronan. Nothing massively award winning going on (as much as you get the feel that's what the film makers were after) but I enjoyed it's adolescent stupidness none the less.

Alice in Wonderland (1951) - Last year I started watching all the old Disney movies in order but it had dropped off a bit in the past few months so I'm trying to get back on it. Due to timings I had to split up my watch of Alice but this is probably the best Disney movie to do that with do to it basically being several short stories all tied together. It is weird, and that's what makes it wonderful! If you like weird films you must watch this.

Peter Pan (1953) - Another Disney classic. What can I say? Easily quotable and I found myself laughing louder at parts than I expected! Tick-Tock is my spirit animal!

IO - I was meant to watch something else on Netflix when the trailer for this caught my eye. I love a good post-apocalyptic tail and this seemed to have promise. Sadly I was let down. It was just a bit boring. The serious threat they kept talking about really didn't build up enough for me to care. Just felt a bit bland the whole way through.

Bird Box - Can't remember if I watched this at the tail end of last year or very start of this but I'll throw my review here anyway. Just a rip of a quiet place and similar films. Was ok, but didn't do anything particularly new and felt very over-hyped. For a budget movie, they did well, I just wasn't overly fussed by the plot and it didn't grab me in the way it seems to with others.

• Like 1

First half of Murder On The Orient Express (2017).  Boring, can't be bothered to even try finishing it.  I've grown up watching various different incarnations of Agatha Christie stories so have no problem with a different actor playing Poirot (No one will ever surpass Suchet though), nor that I know the story from previous versions, but I just did not like this.  I can't gel with Brannagh's version of Poirot.

• Like 1

Snowpiercer (2013)

After a climate disaster triggers a global ice age, the last remnants of humanity live onboard a train that never stops.

The 3rd class passengers live in squalor in the rear carriages while those at front have a life of luxury.

But revolution is in the air...

The cast includes John Hurt, Chris Evans and Tilda Swinton.

Highly recommended.

9 hours ago, Faerie Tanith said:

I watched several early 2000s movies for the first time so far this year. 13 Going On 30 and Legally Blonde to name a couple (because I've genuinely forgotten what else).

Jennifer Garner in 13 Going On 30 > Tom Hanks in Big

The Predator (2018)

This was a big disappointment as I'm a huge fan of this series.

The story was weak, the leading actor was as dull as ditchwater, characters made stupid decisions throughout the film.

Thomas Jane & Sterling K Brown are good actors but they were wasted in this.

The poorest movie in the series (I'm including the AVP movies in that).

Stan & Ollie (2018)

Those of us of a certain age have Laurel & Hardy embedded in our consciousness thanks to the BBC showings of their short films all through seemingly endless summer holidays.

As someone who regularly goes to the Panopticon Theatre in Glasgow (where Stan first set foot on a stage) to watch those classics projected onto the screen, I was excited about seeing this film.

It was dream casting as far as I was concerned, with the excellent Steve Coogan portraying Stan Laurel. John C Reilly is great as Oliver Hardy.

Nina Arianda and Shirley Henderson almost steal the show as the respective wives and Rufus Jones deserves an honourable mention as the entrepreneurial Mr Delfont.

The main focus of the story sees the boys in the twilight of their careers; Abbott & Costello have replaced them as the comedy stars on the silver screen, but they embark on a theatre tour of Great Britain and Ireland despite Ollie's failing health.

It was fun to see some of their classic skits recreated on stage and you could feel the genuine love the boys had for each other.

A heart-warming, gentle film that I enjoyed very much; I hope it raises awareness of their wonderful work for a younger audience.

Edited by Bumper8
Grammar correction
  • Like 1