Films watched in 2019

Raylenth

How To Train Your Dragon 3.  The story didn't feel quite as exciting as the previous 2 films but it was very enjoyable, though I was sobbing at the end.  I both loved and hated the ending, it was very apt and well thought out but very sad really.

Spider-Man: Far from Home was the best Spider-Man movie since Toby and Kirsten's days. It had a terrific story and had such great involvement from the characters. A must see for everyone :spidy:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

I love how you stopped at "trilogy." For the love of God don't watch the Lebeuf one :uhoh:

I saw that at the cinema, didn't love it but was happy to see Marion Ravenwood back :) And Harrison Ford is always awesome so there was that too ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Spiderman Far From Home or as it should be renamed Spiderman CBeebies. Despite decades of great comics to influence them all we ever seem to get is Spiderman movies where the biggest motivation for the hero is his obsession with MJ/Gwen delete as applicable. Paper thin plot with a nonsensical villian who's "plans" were easily and predictably broken. The tedious "comic relief" of the Happy/Aunt May shenanigans was as jarring as it was unbelievable. I'm also done with sitting for another 8 hours to wait on end credits sequences that are little more than teasers for something I'm going to see 3 years from now or provide a slight smile or a piece of fan pandering. Very disappointing.

6 hours ago, Ravogd said:

Spiderman Far From Home or as it should be renamed Spiderman CBeebies. Despite decades of great comics to influence them all we ever seem to get is Spiderman movies where the biggest motivation for the hero is his obsession with MJ/Gwen delete as applicable. Paper thin plot with a nonsensical villian who's "plans" were easily and predictably broken. The tedious "comic relief" of the Happy/Aunt May shenanigans was as jarring as it was unbelievable. I'm also done with sitting for another 8 hours to wait on end credits sequences that are little more than teasers for something I'm going to see 3 years from now or provide a slight smile or a piece of fan pandering. Very disappointing.

So you liked it then?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

Yeah the movie was fine. I think I was just grumpy because they gave me sweet popcorn j stead of salted. I mean, can you imagine?

Do half and half layered like a normal person Rav.  Come on man, that's basic cinema knowledge.

• Like 1

The Lion King was a fantastic live action remake. The original is my favourite animated movie so this was a tough act to follow but it was a terrific movie and certainly seemed darker than the original.

Spider-Man: Far From Home: On the fence with what I think of this, initially was a tad disappointing despite enjoying whilst watching. However now upon reflection I like it more has quite a few layers to it. Wouldn't say it was amazing or rubbish just middle of the road Marvel, I would say I preferred Homecoming

Captain Marvel: Re-watched it for the first time since the cinemas as I got the Blu-ray, thought it was a bunch of fun. Massive fan of Brie Larson and Lashana Lynch who I would have loved to have seen more of! My main negative is I would have maybe loved to have seen more from Minn-Erva and Ronan also.

Annabelle Comes Home was a good horror sequel. Certainly one of the best films of the series. What made it good was the good characters and it had some very scary moments.

Edited by Daniel

Watching "Dark Crystal" for the second time... I didn't like it back then, almost 20 years ago, but thought that now that I' ve grown up somehow, I would appreciate it. Read the novelization before re-watching it and thought it pretty terrible. Now that I'm re-watching the film, I realise that the film still doesn't work for me, either. One of those cases where I'm amazed at how differently the general public and I perceive a movie.

Edited by ABlueAndWhiteYoungMan
  • Like 1

Move On.  Described as a 'breath taking road movie' that was originally transmitted in 8 separate episodes.  Well my breath was not taken, and whilst there was a lot of driving, I'd not describe it as a road movie at all, more like a bargain bin Bond.

Mads M leads and there's nothing wrong with his or anyone else's performance, in fact he carries it well given how little dialogue there is and the fact that for a lot of the time it's just him on screen going places,  but the film was just very 'meh'.  It's trying to be mysterious and innovative (apparently it's kind of a crowd source influenced, multi sponsored film and as such is kind of a mismatch of styles as each 'episode' was heavily influenced by the team/sponsors involved with that segment).  The end result is a rather weak story about the 'hero' who has to transport an item from A to B with much adventures, troubles and pirates on the way* .  It seems to be only available on youtube which is good, as I'm perfectly happy not to own it.

Image result for Move On film

*There were no pirates in this film