Films watched in 2019

Raylenth

1 hour ago, mpharris said:

I think you mean 1978.

Yeah and if you think December will be the last film you’re in for a shock. Disney will not plough billions into the franchise just to end it after a handful of movies. There might be a break, maybe a sizeable break, but there will be a 10-12 trilogy at some point you can guarantee it.

2 hours ago, Ravogd said:

Yeah and if you think December will be the last film you’re in for a shock. Disney will not plough billions into the franchise just to end it after a handful of movies. There might be a break, maybe a sizeable break, but there will be a 10-12 trilogy at some point you can guarantee it.

It’s not the end of the Star Wars franchise, but it is the end of the Skywalker saga. So episodes 10-12 are highly unlikely for this storyline, but there will be other trilogies/stories set within the universe. That’s what they are currently claiming anyway.

9 hours ago, Wrong Name said:

It’s not the end of the Star Wars franchise, but it is the end of the Skywalker saga. So episodes 10-12 are highly unlikely for this storyline, but there will be other trilogies/stories set within the universe. That’s what they are currently claiming anyway.

Oh yeah I realised that. I didn’t mean episodes 10-12 I meant 10-12 of the “main” movies if you see what I mean.

Suicide Squad.  Meh.  I suppose it was a bit better than other recent DC movies but I wasn't overly fussed about it.

Nice to see the never ending bullets trope and the camera's showing important people watching the events what is happening from angles/locations where there couldn't possibly be a camera/such high quality footage it's almost cinematic......

20 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Angel Has Fallen was a really good action film. Even though it was the third in the series it stood up well against the others and didn't repeat the same story from the previous two.

That's good to hear as I liked the first one but thought the sequel was a rehash of the same stuff from the first. I might give it a go now.

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse.  That was a fantastic film, it's visually amazing, and I love the style of it, how they brought the uniqueness of each universe into it and the humour.  I was laughing my way through it.  There's nothing really wrong with it, the only distracting thing was that a lot of the imagery that wasn't centralised on the screen was doubled and had a secondary halo around a lot of it, so I don't know if it was styled for 3D or something as it didn't list it as a 3D film?

The final song of the credits and the post credit scene were especially funny.

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse.  That was a fantastic film, it's visually amazing, and I love the style of it, how they brought the uniqueness of each universe into it and the humour.  I was laughing my way through it.  There's nothing really wrong with it, the only distracting thing was that a lot of the imagery that wasn't centralised on the screen was doubled and had a secondary halo around a lot of it, so I don't know if it was styled for 3D or something as it didn't list it as a 3D film?

The final song of the credits and the post credit scene were especially funny.

It was released in 3d, but most of that stuff is just how they decided to stylise the film. Those bits looked weird in 3d too.

Edited by Wrong Name
  • Like 1

I too have watched S-M:ItS-V recently and enjoyed it. Not as much as Roy by the sounds of things but it was another good Spidey film (he has quite a few now - plus a couple of guff ones). I have more to say about it but don't want to be annoying so I won't.

I also watched 'Ralph Breaks the Internet'. A real step down from the first one, and the first one wasn't that good. It didn't have the charm of the first. Side note: I asked a female human not so long ago what her favourite Pixar film was. She said "Wreck it Ralph Breaks the Internet". I've never been so disgusted.

I also also watched 'Mulan' which I'd never seen before. It wasn't very good. It felt very slight, possibly because it is a Disney film about a girl going off to war and they're hardly going to get into realistic details about the hardships. I would expect the upcoming live action version to have a bit more substance. Maybe.

Ghost In The Shell.  As I have no knowledge of the source material I watched it with an open mind and thought it was OK,  though nothing really happens and it's not a film I will probably ever really think about again or watch again.  So it's a bit of a 'meh' film, there's nothing wrong with it on it's own merits, but there's nothing that makes it really good either.

Edited by Raylenth

ALIEN - 40th Anniversary restoration

Unfortunately this wasn't in 4K as my cinema doesn't have the capability for that unlike the other releases. I won't go into what I think of the film, we all know its a classic but having watched it this time I found myself being really interested by The Company's agenda and Special Order #937 rather than the Alien itself. Some points I have:

1) So The Company definitely knew about the existence of the Alien before the Nostromo left Earth. That's why they replaced the science officer with Ash 2 days before take-off (so he could ensure the Alien was brought back safely). The Company then re-routed the Nostromo so it then picked up the Derelict's warning/distress signal.

2) Even if you ignore the prequels, The Company knew about the Alien ages ago because they detected the warning signal (all the way from Earth) that the Derilict's beacon was transmitting every 12 seconds. I guess before the Space Jokey died, he activated the warning beacon which has been on repeat every 12 seconds ever since. But when the Nostromo finally picked up the signal Mother interpreted it as a distress signal. Or maybe The Company told Mother to call it a distress signal and not a warning so the crew would investigate.

3) Did Dallas know about Special Order #937 to bring back the Alien? He must have if he was Captain and had access to Mother. He also knew that when it came to his job, "You do whatever the hell they tell you to do." So when he went into the shaft to kill the Alien was he disobeying orders? And if so why didn't Ash (who was assigned to protect the Alien) not stop Dallas?

4) Why did Ash try to kill Ripley by choking her with a magazine? Couldn't he have strangled her or suffocated her with a pillow or stab her or something???

230308_large.jpg?t=1551818236

52333468_2875907979116963_39225683641441

Edited by nicky
  • Like 1

The Mustang was a watchable film. It is about a convict taking part in a rehabilitation programme involving riding wild horses. It had some nice scenes and fairly good character involvement, but not sure I'd rush to watch it again.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD (2019)

2/5*

Hmm. I'm not a huge Tarantino fan but I thought I'd give it a go since my cinema gives free tickets sometimes. Man, this film was as boring as a dog's ass (to quote Mel Gibson when he made Million Dollar Hotel). There was no story, it was just made up of a load of dialogue-heavy scenes strung together. I think I can even go as far to say its QT's most boring film yet, even surpassing Death Proof (2007) which I actually sort of liked.

DiCaprio and Pitt were excellent in the film (Leo especially and Pitt looking like pro-skateboarder Rodney Mullen) but by casting these two A-list heavy-weights I couldn't help but think this was a very white film. Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate wasn't even necessary to the film and the Bruce Lee scene was just cringey. I'd like to have seen more Kurt Russell but that Zoe Bell (playing his wife) still can't **** act - there's a reason why she's primarily a stunt-woman! 

Of course, the best parts of the film are towards the end. FINALLY, something grabbed my interest. There's one scene with Pitt which is terrifically tense and really played-out and over-drawn but the pay-off is such an anti-climax. It's like QT was trying something new, I don't think he's ever tackled suspense and tension like that before and it was like something out of a Brian DePalma film. The climax of the film was also just as tense and great.

It feels like QT wrote the film for himself and not for the purpose of entertaining others, it was his love letter to 1960s Hollywood and he just managed to squeeze in a subplot about the Manson murders towards the end. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToswZe6sYekUbOf0TpjhY

Hunter Killer. My husband wanted generic action he could switch his brain off to. It was, for the mostpart, okay in fulfilling this role. Decide for yourself if that's a positive or not ;)

On a totally unrelated note, the US sure does love its military propaganda films huh.

22 minutes ago, Broo said:

Hunter Killer. My husband wanted generic action he could switch his brain off to. It was, for the mostpart, okay in fulfilling this role. Decide for yourself if that's a positive or not ;)

On a totally unrelated note, the US sure does love its military propaganda films huh.

Hoorah.

I do remember one discussion of Black Hawk Down as it stood out " He suggested that although the film was presented as being anti-war, it was at its core pro-war."  So yeah...….

• Like 1