Films watched in 2019

Raylenth

Cant believe I've never seen it before, but just watched the 1991 classic 'samurai cop'. Accidentaly stumbled upon it on YouTube and have to say it's probably the greatest thing I have ever seen. So terrible it was awesome :)

Black Hawk Down.  I'd seen it before a while ago but it was on TV recently which was lucky as it was going to be part of my Mads/Hugh catchup.  It really is an amazing film, with a hugely impressive cast list - the who's who of who we want at comic con really.

Image result for hugh dancy black hawk down

27 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Black Hawk Down.  I'd seen it before a while ago but it was on TV recently which was lucky as it was going to be part of my Mads/Hugh catchup.  It really is an amazing film, with a hugely impressive cast list - the who's who of who we want at comic con really.

So Karl Kennedy from Neighbours is in it then?

The Art of Racing in the Rain was a good although very sad drama film. It may have been told from a dog's perspective but it was certainly better than expected. Sure I did see it for Amanda Seyfried:wub:, but glad I did see it.

On 8/8/2019 at 10:49 AM, Raylenth said:

Image result for hugh dancy black hawk down

I feel like you're building up to a epic Mads/Hugh duo photo shoot at a future LFCC with this :laugh:

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, VikingGrrrl said:

I feel like you're building up to a epic Mads/Hugh duo photo shoot at a future LFCC with this :laugh:

If that were to ever happen pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease it would be the most boring picture ever as I have the imagination of an over boiled cabbage.

• Haha 1

FAST & FURIOUS PRESENTS: HOBBS AND SHAW (2019)

No Spoilers. 3/5*

I'm not a huge fan of the F&F films but this one appealed to me on the basis it was a buddy movie featuring The Rock and The Stath. As you might expect this is another OTT action-fest like the films before it however because there are fewer heroes to root for you would expect there to be more time given to the characters. This wasn't the case though and I found this film to be quite over-stylized and over-loaded with big, loud-in-your face action set-pieces. Its as if director David Leitch continuously tries to outdo himself with each film after JOHN WICK (2014), ATOMIC BLONDE (2017) and DEADPOOL 2 (2018).

The action is at the forefront of the film and so the opportunity to showcase Hobbs and Shaw's relationship is slightly overshadowed. This is made even worse with the inclusion of the sister, Hattie Shaw (Vanessa Kirby) making the team a trio when it should only be a duo - the sister just took the focus off the two leads. Hobbs and Shaw are presented as two larger than life invincible men and so there was a very comic-book like feel to the film - you just didn't feel any danger for them. I did miss the other F&F characters in this but they did manage to squeeze in a few nice cars and a big convoy-chase sequence towards the end.

I felt the villain (Idris Elba) didn't really do much and he felt like a bit of a cliche being someone from Shaw's past. And I wasn't quite sure why he had to be a cybernetically upgraded superman either. The plot had MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 2 (2000) and TANGO & CASH (1989) written all over it and kinda served as an excuse to have a load of big action sequences strung together. It also had a James Bond feel and felt too long. Personally I much preferred the previous F&F films (from FAST 5 onwards at least) because they seemed more fun with a lot more heart.

Fast_&_Furious_Presents_Hobbs_&_Shaw_-_t

Edited by nicky
  • Like 1

Transformers The Last Silly English Knigget.

I watched this for 4 reasons.  1. Despite the fact that I really don't like these films or Michael Bay, I feel compelled to watch for reasons that it's got giant friggin transforming robots in it, 2. it's got giant dinosaur (and a dragon robot!) robots in it, 3. I wanted to see the scenes I watched being filmed, and 4, I've watched all the others so I might as well watch this one.

It was actually the best of the series in my opinion and I enjoyed it more than the others.  That's still a bit like saying I enjoyed being slapped in the face more than having my leg broken just because it hurt less, it still hurt, but less than the others.  I think I just hate kooky characters and films like the Transformers are filled to the brim with them.  I loathe the entire Whitwicky family.

Still, it wasn't quite as horrible as the previous versions though again the ending was a bit pants - having the bad guy survive to live another day is a bit cliche'd and ending the film with a giant frikkin robot planet far bigger than our own planet 'resting' on the Earth, with presumably no way to move it off...…..yeah, like that's not going to seriously bugger up the planet.  It's a surprise anyone is even left alive on Earth or any country still functioning in any normal way at this point.

Ugh.

1 hour ago, Raylenth said:

Transformers The Last Silly English Knigget.

I watched this too (not through your window, honest).

I'd never seen any of the other Transformers films as I have taste, but I loved this film. It's soooooo gloriously dumb. I loved Marky Mark being grumpy all the time and looking like somebody had just farted - directly into his face. I loved Anthony Hopkins acting in the most "I'm only doing this for the money" way possible and getting away with it because he's Anthony Hopkins. I loved the stereotypical English characters (it's true, we do all play Polo and drink tea!), especially as they were played for laughs and the main annoying stuck up English woman fell over a lot - people should fall over more in this kind of film - also she kept getting new outfits out of nowhere. I loved that the guy was in it whose name I couldn't remember until I saw that he had "Morshower" printed on his army (I think - I've no idea who anybody was) uniform. I love Josh Duhamel. I loved the robot dinosaurs, especially the cute little ones. I loved that it was really loud. I loved that they ended the film with a giant frikkin robot planet far bigger than our own planet 'resting' on the Earth, with presumably no way to move it off.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, natedammit said:

I watched this too (not through your window, honest).

I'd never seen any of the other Transformers films as I have taste, but I loved this film. It's soooooo gloriously dumb. I loved Marky Mark being grumpy all the time and looking like somebody had just farted - directly into his face. I loved Anthony Hopkins acting in the most "I'm only doing this for the money" way possible and getting away with it because he's Anthony Hopkins. I loved the stereotypical English characters (it's true, we do all play Polo and drink tea!), especially as they were played for laughs and the main annoying stuck up English woman fell over a lot - people should fall over more in this kind of film - also she kept getting new outfits out of nowhere. I loved that the guy was in it whose name I couldn't remember until I saw that he had "Morshower" printed on his army (I think - I've no idea who anybody was) uniform. I love Josh Duhamel. I loved the robot dinosaurs, especially the cute little ones. I loved that it was really loud. I loved that they ended the film with a giant frikkin robot planet far bigger than our own planet 'resting' on the Earth, with presumably no way to move it off.

I want to know why MarkyMark's lips were soooooooooooooo pink during most of the film. 

The Other Boleyn Girl AKA The One Where Doctor Strange Marries Black Widow.

I've been meaning to watch this early Cumberfilm for ages but never got around to it.  It's a good film, a nice watch, though nothing massively original here for all that it's focused on the Boleyn side of the Henry VIII story, and in particular the lesser known Mary.  It's regarded as quite inaccurate in places but it doesn't detract from the story at all.

Coach.   Nothing overly special about the film, nothing that hasn't been done before though but an average little family film.  Rich guy with nothing meaningful in his life finds himself when he takes on the task of coaching an underdog football team to win back his girlfriend.

Image result for hugh dancy coach

50 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Coach.   Nothing overly special about the film, nothing that hasn't been done before though but an average little family film.  Rich guy with nothing meaningful in his life finds himself when he takes on the task of coaching an underdog football team to win back his girlfriend.

Was she a prize? Or had he bet her in a previous match, lost, then gone 'double or quits'?

1 minute ago, natedammit said:

Was she a prize? Or had he bet her in a previous match, lost, then gone 'double or quits'?

Kind of, she was a fairground prize.  The carnival ran out of fishes so substituted her at the ring toss game and he won, but foolishly he then tried his luck on a Zoltar machine and went on a magical mystery adventure where he had to prove his worth to his one true love.

1 hour ago, Raylenth said:

Kind of, she was a fairground prize.  The carnival ran out of fishes so substituted her at the ring toss game and he won, but foolishly he then tried his luck on a Zoltar machine and went on a magical mystery adventure where he had to prove his worth to his one true love.

Yeah, like you say, nothing that hasn't been done before.