Films watched in 2019

Raylenth

10 minutes ago, only_jay said:

Watched that myself this weekend, I mean it isn't great but I do love a shark movie haha

I've seen far worse.  I was counting all the tropes in it though and they had a few!

Booksmart was a very good comedy with a serious tone. It was more than simply a teen comedy, it felt much deeper than that. It demonstrated some important issues and good performances.

I've just seen that I am up to my 100th movie of the year, so I should probably do a catch up on here:

Cinema:

Lords Of Chaos - Based on the true story of the first Norwegion Black Metal band staring Rory Culkin (Macaulay's brother). Dark, twisted in places and surprisingly gory! Really good and hard to believe at times (but those parts are supposedly the true parts!) Fans of metal and horror would enjoy.

Wild Rose - The film was not really anything special and a bit cliche but I loved the music in this.

Hellboy (2019) - Yeah... no. I like David Harbour, but why did he just shout throughout the entire film?! Not a touch on the Pearlman films.

Avengers Endgame - I did a review on this when I first saw it, go read that! (spoiler: I LOVED it!) I saw it 4 times in total (each count towards my 100)

Tolkien - A nice film but nothing special. A bit on the nose about where it claimed his inspiration came from at times.

Pokemon: Detective Pikachu - I've never been a Pokemon fan or had anything to do with it, but I really enjoyed this film despite it's predictable and cliche plot. Probably because of Ryan Reynolds. Ryan Reynolds is awesome!

John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum - Punchy Stabby Pew Pew part 3! Gotta love these films, and Keanu!

Aladdin (2019) - Feared the worst going in and was worried for the first 20 mins but actually ended up really enjoying it! Will Smith is no Robin Williams by a long way, but he made the part his own and it worked. They kept quite close to the cartoon story which was great. It made no sense that Jafar was a "young hot dude" as a friend of mine called him. Doesn't it make more sense if he's old and ugly for the part he plays?

Rocketman - Meh. This was much more of an actual musical, with song and dance numbers than I was expecting (I though it's be more like Bohemian Rhapsody). They will probably make a stage show out of it. I'm not a massive Elton John fan anyway, but I found this to be very up it's self. I probably won't watch it ever again.

Home

The House With A Clock In It's Walls - A surprisingly fun yet forgettable film. Which why this is short.

Jaws - A true classic that I truly truly love. You've all seen it (if you haven't please don't talk to me!), so no need for comment.

Star Wars The Force Awakens - The best of recent Star Wars

Harry Potter films - I watched all 8 and can't be bothered to write out all the titles! Obviously I'd seen them before. They're ok. I'm not a diehard fan but I do enjoy watching them every few years or so.

Guardian Of The Galaxy - Had a night catching a friend up on a few Marvel films he'd missed before Endgame. This was a must watch!

Thor Ragnarok - I know everyone says this is the best Thor. I disagree. I still find the change to comedy weird for the character.

Avengers: Infinity War - Needed to be done just before Endgame!

Iron Man - Started the MCU from the start after seeing Endgame (Which is still ongoing). The best Iron Man film by a mile.

The Incredible Hulk - I think this film gets a hard time. Edward Norton does a good job and I love Tim Roth in this.

Iron Man 2 - Yeah. Has it's moments but not great. 

Critters - One of my favourite horror from the 80's. Gotta love those hungry balls of fluff!

Leprechaun - I'd never seen this before and the plot is terrible, acting even worse (especially from Jennifer Aniston), gore is badly done and is an all out cheesy Z movie. I loved it.

Blackfish - I've watched this a few times before and it never stops to scare the hell out of me yet also make me feel really bad for the animals. If you haven't seen it, do. Great documentary.

Legend - I'd never watched this before. I almost wish I hadn't. As with a lot of Ridley Scott film, this looks stunning, but the substance is lacking.

Clerks - An old favourite of mine that I like to chuck in there from time to time.

Super Mario Bros - This film looks good when compared to the Sonic trailer! It does suck though, but I still love it.

The Flintstones - The John Goodman one. The film is cheesy and cliche but I love all the special effect s used to bring this world to life. 

Fighting With My Family - My third viewing this year. I don't know why, but I love it!

Thor - This is my favourite Thor movie. The more serious tone works better.

Captain America: The First Avenger - A very underrated MCU film. Great story, great action, and although Hugo Weaving was only there for the money, he makes a great Red Skull.

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping - I'm a biog fan of The Lonely Island, but had never seen this before. It has a few good moments, but I can see why it flopped. They work better in the digital shorts.

Iron Man 3 - Urgh. You know the issues with this film. The less said the better.

Thor The Dark World - Just when you thought the MCU couldn't get lower than Iron Man 3!

The Upside - Based on a true story yet somehow still cliche, I enjoyed this. I'm not usually a Kevin Hart fan but I think with the company I had while watching this may have elevated my view of it. Serious plot at times but still good fun.

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, And Vile - This film would work better if you don't know who Ted Bundy was. I know this was laid out as things happened, but it tried to use the twist as if we didn't know how the film would end. It actually happened and was he was VERY famous for what he did, so why lay it out that way?

Batman Vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Not a crossover I would expect! Was generally fun but I had issues with a large section of the film (in Arkham) as it was just a bit terrible. The interaction between the Turtles and Batman were great though.

The Bill Murray Stories: Life Lessons From A Mythical Man - How did I not know this film existed?! Awesome stores of the randomness that is Bill Murray from people that were there. From him turning up at a party to wash the dishes, to reading poetry on a building site. The man's a legend and these people were lucky enough to get an experience with him. Well worth a watch.

Godzilla (2014) - Getting my prep in for the new movie!

Kong: Skull Island - Technically in the same universe as Godzilla, so was part of my prep. I'd not seen it since the cinema, and I still though it was poor with a lot of bad acting.

Leprechaun Returns - Released this year, this ignores all the sequels (which I haven't watched yet) and is a 25 years later follow up to the first. Fits very well with it. Bad plot, bad acting, cheesy gore. I loved it too!

Mandy - What?! I had no idea what was going on for the first part of this film. It vaguely got explained, but whatever. Very gory Nick Cage movie. It was ok. I probably won't watch it again for quite a while.

Wow that was a lot of typing!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Raylenth said:
35 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

Wow that was a lot of typing!

Celebrate typing it all up with another film

Only 1 series that could compare, really.

Lord of the Rings Directors Cuts.

15 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

That's a Christmas thing.

Though I do protest that 4 viewings of Endgame counts as 4 films, is it not like your 5 a day and they have to be different to be counted?  :lol:

7 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Though I do protest that 4 viewings of Endgame counts as 4 films, is it not like your 5 a day and they have to be different to be counted?  :lol:

Nope, they count as 4. I watched 4 films. They may have been the same film, but I watched 4. I spent 12 hours watching it. It’s not a 12 hour movie. This is my chart and I decide the rules. Do what you like in your own chart.

Edited by Wrong Name

3 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

Nope, they count as 4. I watched 4 films. They may have been the same film, but I watched 4. I spent 12 hours watching it. It’s not a 12 hour movie. This is my chart and I decide the rules. Do what you like in your own chart.

Wrong Name wields Logic.  Raylenth looses 50 HP's. :smile:

A few that I have watched recently -

Ma (2019). What a great film! Yes it is cliched (but aren't a lot of horror) and it is a while before Ma's intentions become clear. But it told a good story and kept me entertained throughout. A lot of horror films have disappointed me recently but this is definitely one of the better ones.

The Perfection (2019). This film was so frustrating! Started of great with a good twist. Then unfortunately it had another twist which took it into another direction completely and ruined it for me. A film of two halves. Shame as if it stuck along the same early storyline it would have been so much better.

X -Men: Days Of Future Past (2014). Haven't seen this before. Good storyline and action. Enjoyed it. Film4 are showing X-Men films this coming week so will be good to catch up on them before Dark Phoenix is released.

Tag - Average film had a couple of funny moments but not sure I will watch again.

Godzilla: King of Monsters - Heard a lot of negative reviews going in so my expectations were pretty low, thought it was okay nothing more. Think I prefer the 2014 one if i'm honest.

I just watched detective Pikachu,(film finished about 15 minutes ago, give or take)

As a movie it was fantastic but if I were following it like the game then id probably be 50/50 about it. Stands on its own as it should do whilst still having the main plot points from the game in it.

Edited by maegurwen

On 6/1/2019 at 7:33 PM, Raylenth said:

Confessions Of A Shopaholic.  Annoying, pretty much a film about everything I hate. And it stars Isla Fisher which makes it worse.

But hey.............

Image result for hugh dancy confessions of a shopaholic gif

I think we're soulmates ;)

• Haha 1

Godzilla King of the Monsters was a good monster movie. It wasn't as good as the last but certainly had more effects and action scenes. If you are a fan of the monster pictures you'll enjoy it.

Rocketman was a good musical biopic of Elton John. It certainly showed both sides of fame and the struggles he had in life. Whilst not as deep as it could have been it was certainly very well done.

X Men Dark Phoenix.  On the whole I liked it, it was far better than Apocalypse, and a much, much better Phoenix story than the Famke one.  I've never read the comics though I do fondly remember the cartoon series, and the DP story from that, so I can't really attest to how this compares to the original story, but as a film on it's own, without knowing the origin story, I thought it was fairly decent.