Films watched in 2019

Raylenth

Polar.  Started watching this a couple days ago on the train before quickly realising it's really not the kind of film you watch in public.  It's very graphic, it's gruesome and horrific in places and it's a brilliant film.  Definitely not one for the faint of heart but it's worth a watch for sure, I enjoyed it (had to cover my eyes in a certain place near the end as they did something I always shiver about) and Mads was brilliant as ususal.

Image result for polar film

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, natedammit said:

That's how I feel about kissing scenes.

I'm fine with most fighting scenes, and wounds and stabbings and stuff doesn't bother me, but I can't 'bear' the thought of anything slicing so the bit where Matt Lucas's character starts doing the under arm scene was a bit more than I could comfortably watch :laugh:

On 5/8/2019 at 11:09 PM, Raylenth said:

Polar.  Started watching this a couple days ago on the train before quickly realising it's really not the kind of film you watch in public.  It's very graphic, it's gruesome and horrific in places and it's a brilliant film.  Definitely not one for the faint of heart but it's worth a watch for sure, I enjoyed it (had to cover my eyes in a certain place near the end as they did something I always shiver about) and Mads was brilliant as ususal.

I just can't get over the fact that you watch that film on the train, even if only for a little while :lol: :lol: :lol: Good film though!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, VikingGrrrl said:

I just can't get over the fact that you watch that film on the train, even if only for a little while :lol: :lol: :lol: Good film though!

In my defence I knew very little about what it was going to be like as I've not read, nor heard of the graphic novel it's based on before, nor seen much discussion of Polar, so assumed it would be a regular film!  I didn't have any real idea of how adult/graphic it was but it was fairly obvious around the opening scene it was going to be different and I stopped watching until I was home :P 

Isn't Matt Lucas's character creepy, with that hand lotion and all.  Ewww.

Edited by Raylenth

10 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

In my defence I knew very little about what it was going to be like as I've not read, nor heard of the graphic novel it's based on before, nor seen much discussion of Polar, so assumed it would be a regular film!  I didn't have any real idea of how adult/graphic it was but it was fairly obvious around the opening scene it was going to be different and I stopped watching until I was home :P 

Isn't Matt Lucas's character creepy, with that hand lotion and all.  Ewww.

I didn't know before I watched it either :lol: it's anything but PG :lol:

His character was just ewwww 

• Haha 1

AVENGERS: ENDGAME (2019)

*NO SPOILERS* 4/5

There's a lot of hype surrounding this film but I thought it was well-deserved. The filmmakers really had a lot of pressure on them to make this "final" Avengers film in the "Thanos saga" great and I was really impressed with how everything was done.

One of the greatest things about ENDGAME though is that it brings back certain previous films in the MCU making this installment feel so much more than just a cash-in sequel; it makes all the films before it relevant. Now I went in not knowing anything about the plot at all and it was a complete surprise to me (and quite a treat) with what the writers did to bring things back. Its a very crowded film too with many characters but it didn't feel crammed at all, all the appearances were deserved and didn't feel forced.

The film is 3hrs long but I was kept entertained throughout and was never bored. I will say however that the build-up to the 2nd act, where the main plot kicks-off, does take its time though but in a nice way; its a film that isn't afraid to take it time and its obvious that the writers were confident they wouldn't lose their audience.

This is probably my favourite MCU film so far; its just so intricate and intelligent with great characters and pay-offs from the previous films. Its almost like RETURN OF THE JEDI (1983) in a way; everything is so neatly tied-up at the end and you can tell cos the ending is pretty long in the style of LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING (2003). It really does feel like the end of an era though so it will be interesting to see how the subsequent films particularly future AVENGERS films go forwards. Its the best film of the year so far for me.

Avengers_Endgame_poster.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, nicky said:

the ending is pretty long in the style of LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING (2003).

Aaaargh, don't mention that, it's probably my least favourite moment in a cinema ever, and put me off ever re-watching any of the LOTR films.

I agree with pretty much everything you said about Endgame though.

9 hours ago, natedammit said:

Aaaargh, don't mention that, it's probably my least favourite moment in a cinema ever, and put me off ever re-watching any of the LOTR films.

Haha, funnily enough Robert Downey Jr. in Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang (2005) says near the end of the film in his narration, "Don't worry, I saw LOTR. I'm not gonna end the movie 20 times."

• Like 1

Rocketman- This is a fantastic movie. I can't believe how much I enjoyed it.

Taron Egerton gives a phenomenal performance as Elton John. Both his singing and his acting is amazing. The rest of the cast are all great. Richard Madden, Jamie Bell, Bryce Dallas Howard, no one gives a bad performance. Dexter Fletcher directs this in a very unique way, and I love the somewhat surreal visuals which come up every now and then. 

This film doesn't hold back on showing the darker sides of Elton's life, and I respect that. It doesn't sugar-coat anything, which makes his story all the more tragic, which makes the film much more emotional as a result. Every character feels fleshed out and real. Of course I have no idea how accurate this film is to the real story, but it's a great film nonetheless. 

One thing that surprised me is how quickly the film went. The film is 121 minutes long, but it really didn't feel like that for me. The hours flew by. The music is amazing, and I'm probably going to buy the soundtrack, I loved it that much. I'm going to watch it again, it's one of my favourites of the year so far.

Overall- 9/10.

I was an Elton fan before seeing the film, so I may be more biased towards this film than most, but I think it is a brilliant film. 

• Like 1

John Wick Parabellum - I liked it but I didn't love it as much as I had hoped. It all felt a bit too much whereas the other 2 have got the balance just right. All that being said some of the fight scenes and action are incredible.

Resident Evil The Final Chapter.  Awful, terrible, pointless, obvious, c r a p, rubbish.  The people who commissioned these films beyond the first should be fed to the zombies.

I still watched them though.

34 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Resident Evil The Final Chapter.  Awful, terrible, pointless, obvious, c r a p, rubbish.  The people who commissioned these films beyond the first should be fed to the zombies.

I still watched them though.

I don't think I made it passed the second one.

21 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

I don't think I made it passed the second one.

I think I was always curious what would happen and the hope that they can't all be poop.  They were, and they weren't interesting.

More fool me.

• Like 1

Incredibles 2.  There aren't many films you could call perfect, but I think this would be a contender.  It was very enjoyable to watch and worth the wait that it took them to make it

Cookie numnum?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raylenth said:

Incredibles 2.  There aren't many films you could call perfect, but I think this would be a contender.  It was very enjoyable to watch and worth the wait that it took them to make it

Cookie numnum?

The Incredibles movies are what the Fantastic 4 ones should have been.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

The Incredibles movies are what the Fantastic 4 ones should have been.

I have no idea why I loved this little detail so much, but I loved that when they were sitting around in the new house watching cartoons, they didn't adapt the look of the cartoon on the TV to match the modern look of the animation of the film, and they kept the cartoon in it's original style (if that makes sense)

And the fact that Winston looks like Bob Odenkirk :P

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jabberwocky50 said:

The same could be said for the Hellboy reboot..The script, acting and CGI were terrible even Ian Mcshane couldn't save it with his very witty intro..

I haven't seen the new Hellboy yet but will when it comes on sky movies at some point