Latest Guest Announcement - IAN SOMERHALDER

I have a question about the diamond pass.  What do you get for paying the extra?  

The photo is £65, autograph £65.  Going on last years price for the talk that was £11 so that comes to £141, so what is the extra £40 for?  Am i missing something?!?

15 minutes ago, T2ggergal said:

I have a question about the diamond pass.  What do you get for paying the extra?  

The photo is £65, autograph £65.  Going on last years price for the talk that was £11 so that comes to £141, so what is the extra £40 for?  Am i missing something?!?

Diamond passes have a premium on for guaranteeing you the included items.

17 hours ago, natedammit said:

You get a terrific feeling of superiority as you walk about wearing the pass around your neck.

And a print.

But don't you get a print anyway that you get signed?

It all seems a bit of an extra opportunity to get more money out of people to be honest!  This year i managed to do everything that i wanted to without getting a diamond pass.  I don't see that it's worth an extra £40.  Usually when things are bundled together you get a better deal 

1 minute ago, T2ggergal said:

But don't you get a print anyway that you get signed?

It all seems a bit of an extra opportunity to get more money out of people to be honest!  This year i managed to do everything that i wanted to without getting a diamond pass.  I don't see that it's worth an extra £40.  Usually when things are bundled together you get a better deal 

The print is 12x16 as opposed to the standard 8x10 ones that you can get, and the diamond pass is for the guarantee and the priority, no one is forcing you to buy it but personally it is worth it, from my own experiences 

10 minutes ago, T2ggergal said:

It all seems a bit of an extra opportunity to get more money out of people to be honest! 

Yes, but that extra money is what means that SM can afford to bring guests like Ian over. 

12 minutes ago, T2ggergal said:

This year i managed to do everything that i wanted to without getting a diamond pass.

A lot of Dr Who fans didn't.

13 minutes ago, T2ggergal said:

I don't see that it's worth an extra £40. 

And that's the choice that everybody has to make with the DP guests. Do I pay extra and get the guarantee and a less stressful day, or do I take my chances and risk missing out. I would guess with Ian you would be fine - he'll be busy but I'd get think he'd get through a fair few VQ tickets each day. With some guests I'd say the DP is a must.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, T2ggergal said:

Yeah I think i'll just do it all separate, works out cheaper and like I say didn't have any problems this year.  Thanks for all your comments :)

No one is saying you have to buy the diamond to be able to get the auto, in fact most Diamond guests you can get without much trouble on a VQ so are entirely doable without the pass.  However there are certain factors that come into play that you should consider when deciding to get one as they are very relevant sometimes:

How many days the guest is doing.  The more days the more likely you won't need a Diamond, but if they are only doing 1 day it's more of a risk trying on VQ

How rare are they.  The rarer a guest the busier they will be as lots of people will want them for different shows/films

How slow are they.  There are a few semi regular guests who are always popular and known to be very slow signers so never get through many people at all

How popular are they.  Some guests whilst not particularly rare, or slow and may still be there for 2/3 days are HUGELY popular and are going to attract massive crowds.

So any of the above really should increase your opinion of getting the Diamond.  No one can say for certain how it will go with most guests - For example Christopher Lloyd and RDA are always very very slow and rarely make it above a 100 or so people so if you want them then you have to consider the Diamonds because it's unlikely they will reach VQ's or see many if they do.  Cumbers always draws a huge crowd so is unlikely to see many VQ's after getting through the Diamonds if he only does a day.  Ian is not rare as he has done other events so probably isn't slow either but is massively popular so will have huge queue's.  It's likely he will see VQ's but who know how many.

It really comes down to weighing up the above factors and if you want to risk possibly missing out if the guest is one of the above.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, T2ggergal said:

Thank you Raylenth, you've given me some stuff to think about!  I'll see, got to clear my credit card first before i'll let myself buy anything!!! :lol:

What I hope I got across is that it's not always cut and dried, there are some guests you should consider buying the diamond for if you want their auto as you may not get it otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, Ellie04826 said:

But they need to have both Salvatore brothers as we didn’t get them this year also Paul Wesley attends the same ones most years.

It is possible. As you say, they often attend both shows. However, the two are not cojoined twins. ;) It is certainly not a "must happen."

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Ellie04826 said:

Also this is the only event they attend in the U.K. fans and this is a chance for the U.K. fans too see them.

Still doesn't mean it's going to happen I'm afraid, I'm sure SM will try and get them both, they know Paul is popular as well, but it doesn't mean it will happen for sure.

18 minutes ago, Ellie04826 said:

Does anyone know if any of the vampire diaries cast went in 2016 and 2017?

Not as far as I recall but if you do a search for 'Guest Days & Prices' and look in the previous years threads you can see what guests went.

3 minutes ago, Ellie04826 said:

We need as many hashtags saying this as possible XD

Hashtags on here don't do anything though? 

However this is the Ian announcement thread so whilst I know it's related, the mods do prefer the threads to remain mainly on topic of the person announced, so please make any further requests in the Guest Suggestion thread.  You can be assured though that SM know people will want Paul back, especially because Ian is attending, and I'm sure they will get him if they can but it's obviously not guaranteed to happen.  Paul may not be available that weekend for a start.  It's not simply a case of 'if they get enough people asking they will book him', there are many factors in guest booking but you don't need to worry about drumming up support for it for sure.

2 minutes ago, Ellie04826 said:

Yes but if a lot of people are suggesting Paul it will for sure boost them booking him if he’s available.

That's the key word in the first place. ;)

I see you also found your way to the correct spot for this suggestion, seeing we are currently spamming Ian's guest suggestions topic.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I'm new to comic con.... what happens if you want to see Jenna Coleman and Ian? I will be with a 17 year old who wants to see Jenna, and my 2 kids aged 6 and 12, and I want to see Ian.

I'm thinking that with paying the £180ish for the Diamond Pass I won't be subjected to long queues with the kids.... am I right? (They all have autism :/)

It's my birthday on the Sunday so I would prefer to see him then but Jenna is on the Sunday.. Is two days in Comic con too much? 

What happens if we go on the Saturday and visits with both stars is at the same time in different areas? The 17 year old would be okish if he doesn't get too star struck, but I was relying on him to keep my 2 kids while I go see Ian.... they won't let them beside me will they?