Selfies, Photos or Posed Photos

Lawrance

No Posed Photos can also mean you can ask someone (a friend or the person in the queue behind you) to take a photo of yourself with the guest while they're signing the autograph, unless a crew member says otherwise.

As Wrong Name said, asking can lead to embarrassment - I did this once because I did not see the sign at the start of the queue and there wasn't one behind the guest. Fortunately, they were willing to pretend to sign the photo while having a photo taken.

5 hours ago, Lawrance said:

It's crazy cause when I went this year, they had a sign up saying "No Photos," they were still allowing selfies?

Again it depends. Sometimes the crew will put the signs up for whatever reason but the guest themselves will still be happy to pose for selfies if asked. 

Although a no photos sign doesn't necessarily mean no selfies, now that I think about it. Maybe said guest didn't want people pointing their phones at them while they were signing but were fine with posing for pictures with whoever asked.

2 minutes ago, Faerie Tanith said:

Again it depends. Sometimes the crew will put the signs up for whatever reason but the guest themselves will still be happy to pose for selfies if asked. 

Although a no photos sign doesn't necessarily mean no selfies, now that I think about it. Maybe said guest didn't want people pointing their phones at them while they were signing but were fine with posing for pictures with whoever asked.

Cause I would think that they'd put this up before given the permission to have selfies. E.g Some people would just take pictures of guests while in the que.

1 minute ago, Lawrance said:

Cause I would think that they'd put this up before given the permission to have selfies. E.g Some people would just take pictures of guests while in the que.

It's not a clearcut situation with an answer that fit's all.

Basic rule is that if it says 'no photo's' people shouldn't ask for one but for a variety of reasons some people do or the guest offers anyway.

7 minutes ago, RomeroSavini said:

The word "Selfie" makes me throw up a little each time I read or hear it..... urgghhh.

Its a photo of yourself ;-) lets clean up the internet and ban the "S" word haha

Selfie Selfie Selfie Selfie Selfie Selfie Selfie Selfie Selfie Selfie Selfie Selfie Selfie Selfie Selfie Selfie Selfie  ;) 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, RomeroSavini said:

The word "Selfie" makes me throw up a little each time I read or hear it..... urgghhh.

Its a photo of yourself ;-) lets clean up the internet and ban the "S" word haha

Well it's a photo of yourself taken by yourself. A self-portrait if you will.

• Thanks 1

While I do agree the word itself is a little cringy, I don't hate it that much. What I do hate is when someone gets someone else to take a photo of them, then they call it a selfie! It's only a selfie if you take the photo of you, not if someone else does! It's surprising how many people don't know this. By their rules, all the professional photos we have at cons are selfies!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RomeroSavini said:

I agree with you. Plus it is extremely rare I take photos of myself, I know what I look like. I dont have a better name which to use when, for instance, I have a photo taken with my mobile with a guest at a con or stage door. I would never ask if we can take a "selfie". My two best memories of such moments was when I asked a guest "if it is ok with you, could I have a photo of us", and she replied "Of course! I would be upset if you did not ask" ^_^ And my favourite: She gave me her mobile..took photos of us..then she took my mobile and took photos of us. :D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chris1970 said:

I know what I look like

That's exactly what I say when someone asks if I want them to take a photo of me somewhere.

I'm not a fan of selfies myself, but people complaining about them, and refusing to use the word, does come across a bit, well...

b6060b_7065c38877964b8b9c5495f9ad7799d0.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 10/15/2018 at 10:51 AM, The Friendly Dalek said:

Those mean you can not get selfies. No posed photos means you can take images from a distance, and no photos means no photos at all.

The Dales has summarised this one nicely, I am going to lock this one here as I’ve hidden a few comments on here and don’t want it to spiral as it has before.  

If there is a sign is up saying No Photos/Posed Photos it is there for a reason and is at the request of the guest or guests team and we would ask that it is respected as to ask will only lead to potentially awkward and embarrassing situations for all concerned.  If a guest with a sign up offers themselves then that is completely at their discretion.

Edited by StuartG2198