New Attendees Advice Thread

R4wly97

8 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I think this is one the mods need to answer - most of us haven't volunteered before as far as I'm aware so won't be best placed to answer these questions.  I'll flag your post to them and hopefully they can help you.

Thank you very much!

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, AndreaLP said:

Hello everyone! Newbie here! A friend and I applied as helpers for Saturday a couple of days ago, but I have some questions:

1. Since we're still waiting for an answer, but the Sat tickets are almost sold out (from what I read in other threads), what can we do? If we buy the entry tickets now, but then get accepted as helpers, will we be reimbursed of the entrance ticket? Or we risk not getting accepted AND the tickets selling out.

2. As helpers, we get 3 VQs for free: can we use them all for the same actor (obviously only during Saturday)? Also, since VQs are numbered, would I get 3 consecutive numbers or random ones? 

3. VQs are only to be used if I also have an autograph, correct? If I only want to talk to an actor, I don't need a VQ, just go up to them when they're free... would I be able to ask for a selfie in that moment (if the actor is willing of course), or can i get selfies only during an autograph session?

Thank you! 

I'm not entirely sure about question 1, that's a question more for the head of crew and/or the office. 

2. Unless procedure has changed since I had helpers in my pit at Spring: you don't get actual physical VQ tickets. You get a helper form (signed by your pit boss when you have finished your shift) where you list the 3 guests whose queues you want to access, and this acts as your VQ ticket (as if it was VQ 1 - if its a diamond guest and they are not seeing VQs yet you may have to wait). If you were hoping to use your 3 free VQs to get friends into a queue that is not how it works! 

3. If a guest is quiet *and on open queue* you can go say hi but you must give way to anyone who comes to buy and auto and asking for a free selfie is strongly discouraged - guests may be offering selfies to those who buy an auto but just walking up and asking is another thing entirely. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, etmuse said:

I'm not entirely sure about question 1, that's a question more for the head of crew and/or the office. 

2. Unless procedure has changed since I had helpers in my pit at Spring: you don't get actual physical VQ tickets. You get a helper form (signed by your pit boss when you have finished your shift) where you list the 3 guests whose queues you want to access, and this acts as your VQ ticket (as if it was VQ 1 - if its a diamond guest and they are not seeing VQs yet you may have to wait). If you were hoping to use your 3 free VQs to get friends into a queue that is not how it works! 

3. If a guest is quiet *and on open queue* you can go say hi but you must give way to anyone who comes to buy and auto and asking for a free selfie is strongly discouraged - guests may be offering selfies to those who buy an auto but just walking up and asking is another thing entirely. 

1. how can I contact the head of crew and/or the office? Or do they respond here?

2. I wanted to use my VQs with Lana Parrilla, who is a diamond guest. I understand the schedule and priority and all that stuff, I was just wondering if I can use all 3 VQs for her, as long as I have 3 of her autographs. I'm not planning on gifting the VQs to friends!

3. That's what I thought, thank you :)

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, AndreaLP said:

1. how can I contact the head of crew and/or the office? Or do they respond here?

2. I wanted to use my VQs with Lana Parrilla, who is a diamond guest. I understand the schedule and priority and all that stuff, I was just wondering if I can use all 3 VQs for her, as long as I have 3 of her autographs. I'm not planning on gifting the VQs to friends!

3. That's what I thought, thank you :)

VQs aren't 1 per autograph. They are 1 per 'entry to the queue'. So depending on any limits set, you may only need 1 VQ entry to get 3 autographs. (the standard VQ limit is 5 autos but diamond guests may be further limited if time demands) 

13 minutes ago, etmuse said:

VQs aren't 1 per autograph. They are 1 per 'entry to the queue'. So depending on any limits set, you may only need 1 VQ entry to get 3 autographs. (the standard VQ limit is 5 autos but diamond guests may be further limited if time demands) 

Oooooh thank you! I completely missed that part :unsure:

On 2/10/2019 at 2:19 PM, Peter Capaldi Fan said:

Thanks. I'll take some ID just in case :coolthumb:

Do you usually collect your diamond pass on the day in the venue? I can only collect it on the day, will there be a hassle?

To get to the VT collection area do I just follow the crowds in front of me? Do we take the stairs on your right when you just get in or do we walk straight to the back and take stairs there? Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, Lita said:

Do you usually collect your diamond pass on the day in the venue? I can only collect it on the day, will there be a hassle?

You can collect on any day but on the day is fine, there may obviously be a queue but it's usually fairly quick

its usually quite a smooth and easy process, from experience of collecting 4 at once, you'll be fine and staff will be around to direct you

Just now, Lita said:

To get to the VT collection area do I just follow the crowds in front of me? Do we take the stairs on your right when you just get in or do we walk straight to the back and take stairs there? Thank you. 

You are very unlikely to be first in the queue so follow the crowd.  There are stairs on the right and usually a bit further down on the left.

Thank you @Raylenth @Green Arrow 2046 @Chris1970 noted. Apologies so many questions it's my 1st time in London Comic con so excited. My other question is... when i do meet Billy Dee Williams & Ian McDiarmid for autographs I would like to take a pic of themselves when signing my stuff (without me in the photo). Based on your experiences should I just take 1 quick pic without asking permission OR best thing to ask first even though they most likely say no if you ask them? Thanks a lot.

Edited by Lita

• Moderators

Thank you @Raylenth @Green Arrow 2046 @Chris1970 noted. Apologies so many questions it's my 1st time in London Comic con so excited. My other question is... when i do meet Billy Dee Williams & Ian McDiarmid for autographs I would like to take a pic of themselves when signing my stuff (without me in the photo). Based on your experiences should I just take 1 quick pic without asking permission OR best thing to ask first even though they most likely say no if you ask them? Thanks a lot.

If there is a sign saying 'No Photos' then do not take a pic of them signing, with or without asking. No photos means no photos.

If there is a sign saying 'No Posed Photos' then it will generally be fine to take a pic while they are signing - if you are planning on using the flash then it can be a good idea to check if flash is ok as some guests struggle with flash in their face all day. (This sign means they will not take photos 'with' you or pose with your signed item etc)

If there is no sign, then taking a pic while they sign is very likely to be fine.

16 minutes ago, etmuse said:

If there is a sign saying 'No Photos' then do not take a pic of them signing, with or without asking. No photos means no photos.

If there is a sign saying 'No Posed Photos' then it will generally be fine to take a pic while they are signing - if you are planning on using the flash then it can be a good idea to check if flash is ok as some guests struggle with flash in their face all day. (This sign means they will not take photos 'with' you or pose with your signed item etc)

If there is no sign, then taking a pic while they sign is very likely to be fine.

Excellent @etmusethank you very much this is very useful for me, I will make sure I'll check the sign before using my phone.

21 minutes ago, etmuse said:

Thank you @etmusethis is a very useful information for me .

Edited by Lita

Quick question, have those who have been before seen adults wearing ear defenders?  Are they allowed?

I don't hesitate to bring them for my autistic children when I take them places that they find overwhelming.  I generally try and manage (I'm autistic as well) but I know I will be pretty stressed having had an early flight then making our way out a major airport and onto public transport in a new place before I even arrive at our first comic con ever! I'm just worried about sticking out like a sore thumb :blush: Maybe I should trying pimping up at pair to make them look a little geeky :D

my folks think I'm nuts to be doing this but I'd do anything to meet any of the lucifer cast :wub:

6 minutes ago, Keepingmesane said:

Quick question, have those who have been before seen adults wearing ear defenders?  Are they allowed?

I don't hesitate to bring them for my autistic children when I take them places that they find overwhelming.  I generally try and manage (I'm autistic as well) but I know I will be pretty stressed having had an early flight then making our way out a major airport and onto public transport in a new place before I even arrive at our first comic con ever! I'm just worried about sticking out like a sore thumb :blush: Maybe I should trying pimping up at pair to make them look a little geeky :D

my folks think I'm nuts to be doing this but I'd do anything to meet any of the lucifer cast :wub:

I haven't and I'm sure they will be OK.  There are a few people who attend who are or with autistic family members so I'm sure people have used them in the past.  I'd presume them might just look like headphones?  Lots of people have wireless headphones so I don't think it'll look too odd at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Keepingmesane said:

Also given the amount of people who cosplay and the range of stuff they cosplay from there will probably be far more people sticking out :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Also given the amount of people who cosplay and the range of stuff they cosplay from there will probably be far more people sticking out :lol:

Thanks, I guess I think that cosplay is sort of expected whereas not many adults wear ear defenders in general, they do look more obvious than headphones unfortunately.. may have to think of a cosplay that wears headphones then it wouldn't be noticeable at all :lol: 

actually found a really nice pair of galaxy ear defenders so might get them and just rock that style :coolthumb:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keepingmesane said:

Thanks, I guess I think that cosplay is sort of expected whereas not many adults wear ear defenders in general, they do look more obvious than headphones unfortunately.. may have to think of a cosplay that wears headphones then it wouldn't be noticeable at all :lol: 

actually found a really nice pair of galaxy ear defenders so might get them and just rock that style :coolthumb:

Big pipe cleaners with ping pong ball eyes on the top of them stuck on the bridge of the ear defenders?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Dr.1963 said:

Does anyone know if Malorie Blackman at YALC will be requiring VQ tickets to obtain her autograph, appologies if this has already been asked, thanks. :D

As WrongName said it is better to contact the YALC people on social media, but I think it will mention it on her YALC announcement page if she requires VQ tickets. I remember one year seeing it written somewhere about some authors that they would require VQs and I think it was on their YALC announcement page. But better contact YALC to be certain.

9 hours ago, Keepingmesane said:

From googling ear defenders I see they are like big headphones. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't be allowed, and don't worry about looking weird. Comic-Con is about not worrying about looking weird! I've seen people use headphones like that on public transport, so don't worry. Just wear what you need to feel comfortable and don't worry about what other people may think!

• Like 2