New Attendees Advice Thread

R4wly97

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, extremeladders said:

I’m considering using the preorder service but I wanted one item signed by two different guests, does anyone know if that’s possible? Thanks :) 

Select the first one as normal then select “Send in your own item” and choose “Item already with Showmasters” for the second.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello lovely forum people :WAVE:

This will be my first LFCC (very excited :YAHOO:) and have a few questions so hoping you can advise me?

1. I’m attending just on the Saturday all day but from the pre-lim schedule have a photo clash between Ian Somerhalder and Tom Ellis. I have DPs for both - B5 for Ian, B2 for Tom. Both sessions start at 9.30am and Ian’s is shorter so I presume I see the crew at his first and they get me through in time for Tom’s? I’ve heard the shoots move quickly but wasn’t sure if they would get to Ian’s DP B5 within the hour? 

2. I’m not the tallest (4ft9.5) and when I meet the 6ft3 Tom Ellis I was wondering if it would look better with a portrait orientation on the photo rather than standard landscape? Can you ask for this before they snap you?

3. I’ve figured out I have to queue at Gate H to get in (if same as last year) but I’ve heard it’s mega busy on the Saturday. What time should I start queuing to make it to my 9.30 photoshoot? I’ve got DPs for guys above and Tom Felton but apart from that, not planning any other guest meets. 

4. I arrive in London on Friday afternoon. Is it possible to pick up my 3 DPs that day to save time on Saturday or is that option only available on the Thursday like last year?

Many thanks in advance :D

41 minutes ago, Livia said:

Hello lovely forum people :WAVE:

This will be my first LFCC (very excited :YAHOO:) and have a few questions so hoping you can advise me?

1. I’m attending just on the Saturday all day but from the pre-lim schedule have a photo clash between Ian Somerhalder and Tom Ellis. I have DPs for both - B5 for Ian, B2 for Tom. Both sessions start at 9.30am and Ian’s is shorter so I presume I see the crew at his first and they get me through in time for Tom’s? I’ve heard the shoots move quickly but wasn’t sure if they would get to Ian’s DP B5 within the hour? 

2. I’m not the tallest (4ft9.5) and when I meet the 6ft3 Tom Ellis I was wondering if it would look better with a portrait orientation on the photo rather than standard landscape? Can you ask for this before they snap you?

3. I’ve figured out I have to queue at Gate H to get in (if same as last year) but I’ve heard it’s mega busy on the Saturday. What time should I start queuing to make it to my 9.30 photoshoot? I’ve got DPs for guys above and Tom Felton but apart from that, not planning any other guest meets. 

4. I arrive in London on Friday afternoon. Is it possible to pick up my 3 DPs that day to save time on Saturday or is that option only available on the Thursday like last year?

Many thanks in advance :D

1. Photo shoots move quickly once they've started, we're talking seconds per photo. They should get through your batch in Ian's AM shoot. Just go to Ian's shoot first, wait for your batch, then go to Tom's. You got no reason to worry :smile: There's always the PM shoot too, should things for some reason not work out.

2. You can ask the photographer if you can have the photo portrait, just do it quickly before they've snaped the shot ;)

3. The queue is long when you get to 9.00, but almost everyone of those people have already gone through bag check and ticket scanning and will just walk inside when the show opens. You need to leave some time for bag check and ticket scanning and a queue before that point, but if you arrive a little before 9 you should be good for 9.30 (you'll need some time to find out where things are when you get inside).

4. We don't know where DP pick up will be located this year yet. Last year DP pick up was located by main entrance before entry, so you could pick up your DP during show hours without having entry ticket.

I'm not a first timer. But I never was at YALC. This year there's an author I love and want to meet. Has anyone an idea how to get from the lfcc show floor to the yalc area? And how does it work? Do I have to buy the books to sign at YALC or can I bring my own books? Is the yalc area very crowded? Are there long queues? This YALC thing is so near to LFCC but yet so far away ;-)

From inside the nearest access is the lifts/stairs in the LFCC Auto area if Yalc is in the same place this year.  Authors are only there set times/days so make sure you check their schedule to see when your author will be there.

I've not done Yalc myself so can't comment on how busy they are, except the floor isn't at LFCC auto area levels

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ansett said:

I'm not a first timer. But I never was at YALC. This year there's an author I love and want to meet. Has anyone an idea how to get from the lfcc show floor to the yalc area? And how does it work? Do I have to buy the books to sign at YALC or can I bring my own books? Is the yalc area very crowded? Are there long queues? This YALC thing is so near to LFCC but yet so far away ;-)

As Raylenth said, you use the stairs or life to get to the YALC floor. Check the YALC section of the site for the YALC schedule, it will say when the author is signing. They already have a first draft of the schedule out. You can bring your own books; sometimes if the author is there to promote a new book you have to have bought that new book (happened with Judy Blume), but as far as I know you don't have to buy it there, you can buy it wherever you usually buy books and bring it with you. The YALC area has much fewer people than LFCC, and the queues aren't that long. As a result they don't generally use virtual queuing, though I think there were 2 authors one year that did have it. If there is such a thing it will say so at the YALC page for the author.

Last but not least, if you have an LFCC ticket you can't enter the YALC area first thing in the morning; you have to wait till 10 or 11 (don't remember exactly, but check the FAQ). But all the signings are after that time so it won't really matter for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whitewillow said:

As Raylenth said, you use the stairs or life to get to the YALC floor. Check the YALC section of the site for the YALC schedule, it will say when the author is signing. They already have a first draft of the schedule out. You can bring your own books; sometimes if the author is there to promote a new book you have to have bought that new book (happened with Judy Blume), but as far as I know you don't have to buy it there, you can buy it wherever you usually buy books and bring it with you. The YALC area has much fewer people than LFCC, and the queues aren't that long. As a result they don't generally use virtual queuing, though I think there were 2 authors one year that did have it. If there is such a thing it will say so at the YALC page for the author.

Last but not least, if you have an LFCC ticket you can't enter the YALC area first thing in the morning; you have to wait till 10 or 11 (don't remember exactly, but check the FAQ). But all the signings are after that time so it won't really matter for you.

Is there a limit on how many things an author/illustartor will sign for free?

4 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Probably, I don't know if there's an official answer other than 'don't take the p...'

Ok thanks, I work for a library and hoping to get a few books signed, thanks, :coolthumb:

13 minutes ago, Dr.1963 said:

Ok thanks, I work for a library and hoping to get a few books signed, thanks, :coolthumb:

You know if you put them out to be borrowed and they are signed you probably aren't getting them back? :huh:

28 minutes ago, Dr.1963 said:

Is there a limit on how many things an author/illustartor will sign for free?

I don't know of any official number, but certainly if you show up with a sackful of books they will say "no". You can ask theYALC people if there is an official limit; they have a facebook page so maybe if you send a question there with the number of books you are hoping to get signed they can give you more info.

41 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

You know if you put them out to be borrowed and they are signed you probably aren't getting them back? :huh:

(I work in a school library.) In my library, we have ink stamps, so if any sneaky rascal tries to sell them, the buyer will probably question why it's addressed to a library and it has a matching stamp, at my library, we're not silly. :D

giphy.gif

Edited by Dr.1963
  • Like 2

Just now, Dr.1963 said:

Does anyone know if Malorie Blackman at YALC will be requiring VQ tickets to obtain her autograph, appologies if this has already been asked, thanks. :D

We don't tend to get the answers for questions like that on here for YALC stuff. You might be better off reaching out to YALC themselves on their social media to find out.

Hello everyone! Newbie here! A friend and I applied as helpers for Saturday a couple of days ago, but I have some questions:

1. Since we're still waiting for an answer, but the Sat tickets are almost sold out (from what I read in other threads), what can we do? If we buy the entry tickets now, but then get accepted as helpers, will we be reimbursed of the entrance ticket? Or we risk not getting accepted AND the tickets selling out.

2. As helpers, we get 3 VQs for free: can we use them all for the same actor (obviously only during Saturday)? Also, since VQs are numbered, would I get 3 consecutive numbers or random ones? 

3. VQs are only to be used if I also have an autograph, correct? If I only want to talk to an actor, I don't need a VQ, just go up to them when they're free... would I be able to ask for a selfie in that moment (if the actor is willing of course), or can i get selfies only during an autograph session?

Thank you! 

9 minutes ago, AndreaLP said:

Hello everyone! Newbie here! A friend and I applied as helpers for Saturday a couple of days ago, but I have some questions:

1. Since we're still waiting for an answer, but the Sat tickets are almost sold out (from what I read in other threads), what can we do? If we buy the entry tickets now, but then get accepted as helpers, will we be reimbursed of the entrance ticket? Or we risk not getting accepted AND the tickets selling out.

2. As helpers, we get 3 VQs for free: can we use them all for the same actor (obviously only during Saturday)? Also, since VQs are numbered, would I get 3 consecutive numbers or random ones? 

3. VQs are only to be used if I also have an autograph, correct? If I only want to talk to an actor, I don't need a VQ, just go up to them when they're free... would I be able to ask for a selfie in that moment (if the actor is willing of course), or can i get selfies only during an autograph session?

Thank you! 

I think this is one the mods need to answer - most of us haven't volunteered before as far as I'm aware so won't be best placed to answer these questions.  I'll flag your post to them and hopefully they can help you.

15 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

We don't tend to get the answers for questions like that on here for YALC stuff. You might be better off reaching out to YALC themselves on their social media to find out.

Ok thanks :coolthumb: