Great Guests experiences

SamA96

13 hours ago, Faerie Tanith said:

Just search through any of my posts about Costas Mandylor :wub: you couldn't meet a kinder guy.

I found this yesterday and thought of you - it's from a series of posts linking 2 films with the same descriptor.

42965194_534934443612820_2815864547343073280_n.png?_nc_cat=108&oh=8e3c0889b18c1700e7a6cb48d4a0ca7d&oe=5C4EC742

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've often found some of the most friendly and most entertaining guests that I have met are those who are best known for their Voice Acting. One of my most memorable and favourites is Phil LaMarr (Futurama, Justice League, Samurai Jack etc)

Here's an interesting story to go with it: Something I do in my spare time is doing Fan Art on the internet and one of my best pieces of work which is commonly used on other websites is my "Futurama Planet Express Crew Photo". Phil LaMarr contacted my through Deviant Art and asked if he could use it to sign at Conventions in the US. A few months later, I received a signed autograph of my work in the mail from him. And to make things even better, he appeared at LFCC 2017 and I had the pleasure of meeting him. He was a wonderful person to meet and incredibly nice.

This is a memory I still cherish to this day. 

I've often found some of the most friendly and most entertaining guests that I have met are those who are best known for their Voice Acting. One of my most memorable and favourites is Phil LaMarr (Futurama, Justice League, Samurai Jack etc)

Here's an interesting story to go with it: Something I do in my spare time is doing Fan Art on the internet and one of my best pieces of work which is commonly used on other websites is my "Futurama Planet Express Crew Photo". Phil LaMarr contacted my through Deviant Art and asked if he could use it to sign at Conventions in the US. A few months later, I received a signed autograph of my work in the mail from him. And to make things even better, he appeared at LFCC 2017 and I had the pleasure of meeting him. He was a wonderful person to meet and incredibly nice.

This is a memory I still cherish to this day. 

From personal experience some of the better guest experiences have come from the 'smaller' guests, as they are often less busy and you get more time with them.

My favorite one has been with, and in hindsight I feel a bit bad about admitting this, one of the token guests I went to see just because he was there and I had some free time. Met Andy Beckwith to get an autograph on my GoT poster for his role as the charming and friendly Rorge:

rrDwEob.jpg

Anyway, we got chatting and he asked my name and really made an effort to have a conversation and found him really engaging, offering me a selfie and dedication and all sorts. Part way through his phone rang and he said "sorry about this...." and looked at his screen, "....its the wife." He answers the phone and tells her "sorry, I can't speak right now, I'm busy talking to Tom" and ended the call.

Honestly, from that moment on, the man could do no wrong. Total ledge. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tompain100 said:

Part way through his phone rang and he said "sorry about this...." and looked at his screen, "....its the wife." He answers the phone and tells her "sorry, I can't speak right now, I'm busy talking to Tom" and ended the call.

He's now divorced.

Here’s my favourite. Many years ago at a con, my late wife and I met Leslie Easterbrook and Marion Ramsay who played Callahan and Hooks in Police Academy. Both were unbelievably friendly, and happily chatted away and posed for photos at their table. When we were leaving their table I happened to say we were off to the bar for a glass of wine. They joked they wished they could come with us and we left. While I was at the bar, I bought them both a miniature bottle of wine and took it back to their table along with a couple of glasses. They were so taken aback by my gesture. That was it for the day. Every time we walked past during that day they shouted us and waved. Later that evening, we went out for dinner in the hotel restaurant, and it turned out they were staying there as well. They saw us, shouted us over, and invited us to have dinner with them. We spent a few happy hours swapping stories and getting a little tipsy. The following day back at the con, we again visited their table, and they admitted they were a little worse for ware from the previous night. A nicer pair of ladies you couldn’t wish to meet. 

• Like 8

Lucky to have have had many great experiences...

David Tennant.... busy guest but was warm and friendly and was focused on you when it was your turn to meet.   Gives great hugs. 

Michael J Fox..... such a lovely man. Hug and a friendly brief chat.

Zach Levey..... so friendly and lots of fun.

Sarah Douglas.... what an amazing woman. Chatty, friendly and super kind.

Jeremy Renner..... was worried about meeting him at first but was so sweet and charming.

Judge Reinhold..... great fun and even chatted to him when spotted him walking about.

Got lots more but those are my main ones.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Lance Henriksen was an absolute gent. So so friendly and gave high fives to everyone queuing before our photos were taken. He asked if he could put his arm round me then jokingly said to the photographer that he didn't think he had taken the picture properly - basically just so we could have another photo! Lovely to hug as well. Would love to meet him again if he ever comes back to LFCC :wub:

On 10/1/2018 at 10:27 PM, Lord of House Tyrell said:

The guest I have had my best experience with is a guest I didn't know I was going to meet until about three minutes before I got into his line and that was Staz Nair. The Game of Thrones talk on the Sunday morning this year really made me see what an upbeat soul he was and, once he spoke about his scenes in the talk, I realized that I knew his character. So I left the talk and met him just after and we had the best talk I've had with any guest.

He asked me if I had any predictions or theories regarding Season 8 of Game of Thrones and the end of the show and I said that I'd like to see Sansa on the Throne. He agreed with me and we talked about her character arc for a little while and he wrote on my print "Don't tell Khaleesi... but Sansa for the win!" which is so unique and personal. I highly recommend meeting Staz if you get the chance!

I had the same good surprise from him!

Killed the time in meeting him and he is really funny.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 6:06 PM, Broo said:

I don't think anyone will beat Richard Dean Anderson for me <3 photo op first, I think he could tell I was nervous cause as he put his arm round me for the photo he told me I was doing okay. Photo's taken, I thank him and tell him it's amazing getting to meet him, cue a huge smile on his face and telling me "bless you you are lovely".

Few hours later I queue for auto, he recognises me from earlier and we're doing some small talk about London when he pauses and asks "so, how old *are* you, if you don't mind my asking" so I tell him, but with a confused whyyyyy? and he says it's just cause he thought I looked very young. So I joke "oh well in that case thank you very much, now I love you even more" which he bursts out laughing at then innocently waves his hands saying "I swear that's not why I said that!!" Cue some banter while he signs my Stargate magazine, I thank him again then move to the side while I wait for my mum to get her auto. They talk for a minute or so then she tells me to come back over which I didn't cause I didn't want to crowd her time, but then he gestures for me to come over so I'm not gonna say no to him ;) more banter, some lovely compliments, and then when we're leaving I look back to say Bye and he waves me a goodbye kiss so I wave one back and somehow I didn't faint lol.

Next day for final photo, he recognises me again, throws open his arms with a "hello again my love!" and I get a big squeezy hug for my pic and I will honestly always be grateful for how amazingly lovely he was. Dream encounter with a dream guest <3

Sorry for the waffle, just one of my favourite experiences ever! :)

I was rereading through this thread and coming across my RDA post had me smiling hugely again. It got me wanting to share my sunday photo op with him

IMG-20181115-152448.jpg

It was such a joyful lil moment and I love that that comes through in the pic (at least to me it does!) <3

• Like 11

I've been to four LFCC's and in general all guests have been amazing. But to name a few that I think back to with extra-fondness:

TJ Thyne - remembered me throughout the weekend, gave presents to the fans! Sweet, funny and very grateful for us fans.

Zach Levi - genuine, funny, sweet and very thankful for the fans

Jeremy Renner - I was worried he'd be too busy and jet-lagged but he took his time, chatted with me and made me feel at ease. He did poses and seemed to genuinely enjoy being there.

Laurie Holden - she was thrilled when I talked about how much I loved her on M7 and was so happy to chat.

But as I said, in general all guests have been amazing! I would be happy to mention pretty much every single one I've met at LFCC but those above stand out a little extra. :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2018 at 8:08 AM, cecitj said:

I've been to four LFCC's and in general all guests have been amazing. But to name a few that I think back to with extra-fondness:

TJ Thyne - remembered me throughout the weekend, gave presents to the fans! Sweet, funny and very grateful for us fans.

Zach Levi - genuine, funny, sweet and very thankful for the fans

Jeremy Renner - I was worried he'd be too busy and jet-lagged but he took his time, chatted with me and made me feel at ease. He did poses and seemed to genuinely enjoy being there.

Laurie Holden - she was thrilled when I talked about how much I loved her on M7 and was so happy to chat.

But as I said, in general all guests have been amazing! I would be happy to mention pretty much every single one I've met at LFCC but those above stand out a little extra. :)

I've only recently got into The Walking Dead, but I wish I had got into it sooner. I adore Laurie Holden's character. Andrea is definitely one of my favourites. I'm glad you had a lovely time meeting her! I would love to meet her myself! :smile:

Harold Perrineau was my best comic con guest. I was cosplaying as Constantine that year and he saw me in the queue for the photoshoot, and grinned. Then as I walked forward for the shoot he looked me up and down and in Manny's voice said "It's been a long time, John!" I was soooo happy :D

Lalla Ward and Sarah Douglas were both great guests as well, and neither of them had much of a queue when I saw them so I was able to have a nice long chat with both of them while they were signing. 

Those were the ones that really stuck out in my mind, but I have to say that all of the guests I've seen at various comic con's have been wonderful people.

• Like 1

I suppose I'm lucky in the sense that I've never had a bad experience with a guest at an event. However these are guest experiences that've really stood out to me.

John Levene- Such a happy, cheery guest, and more than happy to talk with everyone. He was lovely to meet, and I attended a talk panel of his that day and he can really tell a good story. 

Colin Baker- He is such a nice man. I've met him multiple times and he is always so friendly and lively.

Sylvester McCoy- Same as Colin. Always a pleasure to meet.

Christopher Eccleston- He is "my Doctor" in the sense that he was the first one I ever watched, way back in 2005 when his episodes aired. Although I had to wait years, meeting him was so worth the wait. He was smiling and seemed to be enjoying himself, interacting with the fans and having a good time. If you know about what went on behind the scenes during his series, seeing Eccleston so happy around his fans was a wonderful surprise, and if he is ever announced again I would buy another photo in a heartbeat. 

Just to reiterate, every guest that I have met at any event has been wonderful, but sometimes some experiences are slightly more memorable than others. I'm certian that throughout this year and in other future years, Showmasters will give us many more opportunities for excellent guest experiences such as these. :D

• Like 4

Hey it will be mainly cheaper/lesser well known guests for me as hey you get more time to interact, in fact 10 minutes+ with a few smaller guests easy. (Note - They are not small to me mind you haha).

No Rush. No pressure with lines behind you and no management wanting it over quicker like many of the bigger guests, who can feel like a cattle line of money. Some who really have no time for deep conversations, some not even a Hello sadly (as nice as many are to me).

Alicia Witt stands out from the last few years for me out of the tonnes of guest's I have met . Literally spent an age chatting, having actual conversation about her life and a bit of fun with passing Darleks as well. Again she is a big guest to me (many may know ger as the little girl from Dune and her from The Walking Dead) but many wont know how nice she can be until they get chatting.

Well worth a meet :-)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RomeroSavini said:

Hey it will be mainly cheaper/lesser well known guests for me as hey you get more time to interact, in fact 10 minutes+ with a few smaller guests easy. (Note - They are not small to me mind you haha).

Talking to someone for 10 minutes? Eww, no thanks.

• Haha 2