Great Guests experiences

SamA96

OK I'm fairly new to the convention scene having done only two so far upto this point, I'm also kicking myself for being this late to the scene. However LFCC 2018 was a great first covention and guest experiences like Peter Capaldi, Noel Clarke and Rose Mciver made it all worthwhile. I would just like to know what great guest experiences people have had... 

Edited by SamA96
Spelling
  • Like 1

Mads Mikkelson is totally lovely and I have never heard anyone say they have had a bad experience with him, so he's always a recommended meet.  Michael Emmerson was very sweet as well.  They were both communicative, chatty and friendly with everyone and happy to play with my potato ;) which was a plus

• Like 4

I have been to three conventions so far, but I regret not coming to the convention scene sooner as well. I'm so glad I started coming to them, though! Each year has been amazing! :smile:

Here are just some of my highlights... Finn Jones, Natalie Dormer, Ellie Kendrick, Isaac Hempstead-Wright and Sam Neill. Finn and I had a lovely little chat about The Last Showing. He is so smiley and chatty! I made Natalie Dormer laugh. That was amazing! She is so sweet and polite! I was nervous when meeting Ellie. We had trouble finding a parking space; but Ellie said she was glad I got there, and it was nice to meet me. She was lovely! Isaac was really sweet and polite. He even took the time to ask me where I'm from! Meeting Sam Neill was such an honour. He is so polite! I recommend meeting them all. They're all so lovely! :smile:

Edited by ChloeLou
  • Like 2

I don't think anyone will beat Richard Dean Anderson for me <3 photo op first, I think he could tell I was nervous cause as he put his arm round me for the photo he told me I was doing okay. Photo's taken, I thank him and tell him it's amazing getting to meet him, cue a huge smile on his face and telling me "bless you you are lovely".

Few hours later I queue for auto, he recognises me from earlier and we're doing some small talk about London when he pauses and asks "so, how old *are* you, if you don't mind my asking" so I tell him, but with a confused whyyyyy? and he says it's just cause he thought I looked very young. So I joke "oh well in that case thank you very much, now I love you even more" which he bursts out laughing at then innocently waves his hands saying "I swear that's not why I said that!!" Cue some banter while he signs my Stargate magazine, I thank him again then move to the side while I wait for my mum to get her auto. They talk for a minute or so then she tells me to come back over which I didn't cause I didn't want to crowd her time, but then he gestures for me to come over so I'm not gonna say no to him ;) more banter, some lovely compliments, and then when we're leaving I look back to say Bye and he waves me a goodbye kiss so I wave one back and somehow I didn't faint lol.

Next day for final photo, he recognises me again, throws open his arms with a "hello again my love!" and I get a big squeezy hug for my pic and I will honestly always be grateful for how amazingly lovely he was. Dream encounter with a dream guest <3

Sorry for the waffle, just one of my favourite experiences ever! :)

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Broo said:

I don't think anyone will beat Richard Dean Anderson for me <3 photo op first, I think he could tell I was nervous cause as he put his arm round me for the photo he told me I was doing okay. Photo's taken, I thank him and tell him it's amazing getting to meet him, cue a huge smile on his face and telling me "bless you you are lovely".

Few hours later I queue for auto, he recognises me from earlier and we're doing some small talk about London when he pauses and asks "so, how old *are* you, if you don't mind my asking" so I tell him, but with a confused whyyyyy? and he says it's just cause he thought I looked very young. So I joke "oh well in that case thank you very much, now I love you even more" which he bursts out laughing at then innocently waves his hands saying "I swear that's not why I said that!!" Cue some banter while he signs my Stargate magazine, I thank him again then move to the side while I wait for my mum to get her auto. They talk for a minute or so then she tells me to come back over which I didn't cause I didn't want to crowd her time, but then he gestures for me to come over so I'm not gonna say no to him ;) more banter, some lovely compliments, and then when we're leaving I look back to say Bye and he waves me a goodbye kiss so I wave one back and somehow I didn't faint lol.

Next day for final photo, he recognises me again, throws open his arms with a "hello again my love!" and I get a big squeezy hug for my pic and I will honestly always be grateful for how amazingly lovely he was. Dream encounter with a dream guest <3

It's hard to pick sometimes, RDA is another lovely one though I never had the meet with him that you did.  He is a genuinely unassuming guy who at the beginning when he started doing events again after swearing off them for 20/30 years really couldn't get that all these people wanted to meet him for some reason.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

It's hard to pick sometimes, RDA is another lovely one though I never had the meet with him that you did.  He is a genuinely unassuming guy who at the beginning when he started doing events again after swearing off them for 20/30 years really couldn't get that all these people wanted to meet him for some reason.

Yesss! That's definitely how he came across last year, don't know if you went to his talk but he thanked the crowd at the end for coming and for everyone who met him at the event and he was really apologetic for us having to wait in lines etc just to meet him cause, as you say, he couldn't really understand why we would want to do that?? But awesome that we did cause he'd had a great time with it all etc :) "genuinely unassuming" is such a perfect descriptor :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Broo said:

Yesss! That's definitely how he came across last year, don't know if you went to his talk but he thanked the crowd at the end for coming and for everyone who met him at the event and he was really apologetic for us having to wait in lines etc just to meet him cause, as you say, he couldn't really understand why we would want to do that?? But awesome that we did cause he'd had a great time with it all etc :) "genuinely unassuming" is such a perfect descriptor :)

I didn't, I been very lucky that I was in the Stargate fandom since when it started on TV and have been to many events with the cast.  I was very lucky to have been one of the few who managed to get a ticket for his first event and have seen him a few times since then :D

• Like 1

I have to say the cast of class are a really humble and down to earth lot, they're really friendly and not too busy to have a chat with everyone particularly Greg Austin. 

Edited by SamA96
Incomplete post.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Raylenth said:

I didn't, I been very lucky that I was in the Stargate fandom since when it started on TV and have been to many events with the cast.  I was very lucky to have been one of the few who managed to get a ticket for his first event and have seen him a few times since then :D

Oh wow the atmosphere at his first appearance after so many years must have been amazing! I'm really happy you got to experience that :)

12 hours ago, VikingGrrrl said:

RDA was lovely! Your meeting sounds sooo amazing!!! :D my meeting with him ended with him saying he would always remember me :wub: not that I think he actually would, but still :wub2:

Ohhhh oh oh that is so wonderful he said that to you!!! You obviously made a really lovely impression on him for him to say that :wub:

• Like 1

The Sons of Anarchy guests are all very great and friendly. Hope to see them again soon.

Would say my best experience ever was with Ron Perlman  - he kissed me twice (at photo op and at autograph) and with James Caan. Also got a kiss from him, after I told him he was my reason to come from Germany to London.  Seems that I am pretty good with older men :) 

But lucky me I never had a bad experience so far with everyone I met.

• Like 2

As this was my first LFCC I didn't really know what to expect so I only had a few guests.

Don't know if I was just lucky but whether it was for an autograph or a photo all the guests I met had the ability to make you feel special even if it was a brief encounter.

Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Paul McCann and Peter Capaldi - to quote the Brigadier "splendid fellows - all of them".

Also Pearl Mackie, Guy Siner, Kim Hartman, Richard Gibson, Richard Wilson and Sam Neill made for a very enjoyable weekend.

If I had to choose one (and I may be a little biased) it would have to be Peter Capaldi. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance for an autograph. However when I went for a photo at the end of his Sunday afternoon session he was still full of enthusiasm and energy. And to get a Capaldi sized hug for the photo - well for me it doesn't get any better than that!

If next year is anywhere near as good I'll be happy.

Ones that spring to mind are:

• Benedict Cumberbatch, who from what I saw engaged with everyone as much as he could, asking names and how people's days were etc., top notch experience!
  • Andrew Scott, had the pleasure of getting him to sign a drawing which he loved, and then flicked through my whole sketchbook for 5 minutes!
  • Matt Smith, instantly welcomed me into the photo and complimented my cosplay (even though the green jacket isn't his personal preference)!
  • David Tennant, who even though we were told not to engage in conversation or give handshakes, had conversations and handshakes and complimented gifts and cosplay!
  • Peter Capaldi, welcoming and kind, listened to stories, gave people handshakes and hugs, loved artwork... what more can I say?
  • The cast of Class as mentioned earlier by Sam, once I spent 2 hours just playing card games with them!
  • Pearl Mackie, just so engaging and so bubbly and friendly, took the time to have a chat where possible!
  • Benedict Wong, so down to earth and constantly giving handshakes, I couldn't fault him!
  • Like 1

I think Finn Jones and Gethin Anthony were great in LFCC 2014. Our pics are a blast, but I have to say I had had the privilege of having interviewed then just before the photoshoots, so they already knew me. Super down to earth, approachable and kind. Way back then it was easier to access to them as well.

More recently, Mads is one of those universally loved guests, and with good reason. He was always ready for whichever sort of silly picture you came up with. I also have a very remarkable memory with the then-pregnant Gemma Whelan, who not only had the time for some small talk during the photoshoot, but she actually complimented me on my cologne. That got me by surprise, but I thought it was quite lovely :D

I really think most of the guests I've met are just great. Even when they have seconds (case in point, Benedict Cumberbatch), they try hard to make it memorable for you. In my particular case, I was over the moon with my photo op with Natalie Dormer last year, who is FAR more stunning in person and whose poise, natural grace and disarming smile made that moment one to remember. Top marks for the photographer who took such an awesome picture as well!

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 6:06 PM, Broo said:

That's so lovely, Broo! It sounds like each meeting you had with Richard was amazing! :smile:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MarinoSR said:

I think Finn Jones and Gethin Anthony were great in LFCC 2014. Our pics are a blast, but I have to say I had had the privilege of having interviewed then just before the photoshoots, so they already knew me. Super down to earth, approachable and kind. Way back then it was easier to access to them as well.

More recently, Mads is one of those universally loved guests, and with good reason. He was always ready for whichever sort of silly picture you came up with. I also have a very remarkable memory with the then-pregnant Gemma Whelan, who not only had the time for some small talk during the photoshoot, but she actually complimented me on my cologne. That got me by surprise, but I thought it was quite lovely :D

I really think most of the guests I've met are just great. Even when they have seconds (case in point, Benedict Cumberbatch), they try hard to make it memorable for you. In my particular case, I was over the moon with my photo op with Natalie Dormer last year, who is FAR more stunning in person and whose poise, natural grace and disarming smile made that moment one to remember. Top marks for the photographer who took such an awesome picture as well!

Natalie Dormer is wonderful, isn't she? She could tell I was nervous, but she made me feel so at ease. She is just so sweet and polite. As I walked over to her for our photograph, she reached out to me. She gave me a wonderful hug. I love our photograph together! I agree, the photographer there was great! :smile:

Gemma Whelan is lovely, isn't she? I was nervous, but she made me feel at ease as well. My mother came with me to meet her, so I didn't go on my own. Gemma was so chatty. We all chatted together. I definitely hope Gemma is invited back, so I can go for a photograph this time! :smile:

• Like 1

The guest I have had my best experience with is a guest I didn't know I was going to meet until about three minutes before I got into his line and that was Staz Nair. The Game of Thrones talk on the Sunday morning this year really made me see what an upbeat soul he was and, once he spoke about his scenes in the talk, I realized that I knew his character. So I left the talk and met him just after and we had the best talk I've had with any guest.

He asked me if I had any predictions or theories regarding Season 8 of Game of Thrones and the end of the show and I said that I'd like to see Sansa on the Throne. He agreed with me and we talked about her character arc for a little while and he wrote on my print "Don't tell Khaleesi... but Sansa for the win!" which is so unique and personal. I highly recommend meeting Staz if you get the chance!

Meat Loaf. I think he's my favourite guest I've met ever even though he kept me waiting in a  long queue. He's such a lovely man and he really wanted to get to know every single person who was there, he was asking questions in the photo shoots about where everyone was from etc. Despite his bad health he was in such a great mood the the whole weekend. His talk was just wonderful, the man has some stories but the poor guy who was meant to be doing the hosting of the talk never got to speak! Meat literally walked on stage in the middle of his intro and didn't stop talking the whole time. I could listen to him talk for hours he was just that entertaining. For the price of his diamond pass he was an absolute bargain compared to some others and I would have paid so much more based on the experience alone.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Faerie Tanith said:

Just search through any of my posts about Costas Mandylor :wub: you couldn't meet a kinder guy.

I've seen pictures from forum users showing Costas giving out hugs, seems like a great guy.