General Chat

Wrong Name

1 hour ago, natedammit said:

One more thing. "Man shall not live by bread alone". Who said that? Jesus. 

Me and Jesus, similar in so many ways.

This is just conjuring up weird mental images to me, That and I'm now hungry for a tuna sandwich....

8 hours ago, natedammit said:

Ok, maybe I need to explain it to everybody, as I know I operate on a higher level than you people.

Please pay attention, and save your applause until the end:

It all started as Kurdamoni was asked to describe their tattoo:

'Orbis non sufficit' is Latin for 'the world is not enough'. It's James Bond's family motto, hence why it is tattooed upon Kurda's body one would presume. I changed that to 'Hovis non sufficit', due to the interchanged words having sufficient phonetical similarities for the joke to work. Hovis is known for being a popular maker of bread, thus the phrase could now be translated to 'bread is not enough' (NB: of course Hovis is not actually Latin for bread, but it is actually a shortening of the Latin phrase 'hominis vis' meaning 'strength of man' adding another deliciously subtle layer of humour into the joke).

I then came up with a credible reason as to why I may have a tattoo declaring that 'bread is not enough'. Bread is generally considered a filling yet bland product, an essential part of the diet of most cultures around the world but on it's own not something considered particularly 'flavourful' or 'exciting'. One may get tired of simply eating bread every day (plus it lacks many essential nutrients vital for healthy, balanced diet thus making a bread only diet a very poor option). Due to this, bread is generally supplemented with other foodstuffs one deems more pleasurable: one example would be with the filling in a sandwich (this is specifically to what my ham and cheese comment was referring) but there are many other options.

I declared this comment on the positive and negative aspects of bread as a 'metaphor for life'. Put simply, a metaphor is taking one thing and using it to illustrate something else via a comparison, i.e. life isn't literally made of bread, but, I posited, shares the particular characteristic I have previously described. The things that are necessary in life are not always particularly 'flavourful' or 'exciting'. One may get tired of simply performing these tasks every day. Due to this, life needs to be supplemented with other ventures one deems more pleasurable: one example would be visiting London Film and Comic Con (or amusing oneself by composing ridiculously lengthy posts on a forum dedicated to such an event) but there are many other options.

You ruined the joke by explaining it.

4 minutes ago, R4wly97 said:

I see everyone has been talking about bread today so here’s my contribution to this discussion :P

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d1e78195a4c2f4c6b

Oh, jeez... I haven't seen you here in a while :lol:

(Probably because I was gone for quite some time)

How are you? ^_^

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fanowaty said:

Oh, jeez... I haven't seen you here in a while :lol:

(Probably because I was gone for quite some time)

How are you? ^_^

Yeah I’ve been on here everyday, I’m not gone for long :P

I’m good thanks how are you? ^_^

10 hours ago, Chris1970 said:

tenor.gif

For some reason it looks like an oversized profiterole to me....

1 hour ago, R4wly97 said:

The last day of your life!?!??

:blink:

18 minutes ago, natedammit said:

Finally, the answer to the question "what would Catbus look like if it were made of bread?"

It wouldn't look like that for long, especially if it rains....

• Like 1