General Chat

Wrong Name

Booked a hotel in London for 2 days in march for LFCC spring. Since I don't need to go to work, the 2 days turned out to be 18. That escalated quickly :blink: Planning to do a journey across the capitals of the UK and Ireland (and probably the Isle of Man). Does anyone have any recommendations that I need to visit as someone who loves natures, history or some iconic movie landscapes? :D 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The_batflash123 said:

Booked a hotel in London for 2 days in march for LFCC spring. Since I don't need to go to work, the 2 days turned out to be 18. That escalated quickly :blink: Planning to do a journey across the capitals of the UK and Ireland (and probably the Isle of Man). Does anyone have any recommendations that I need to visit as someone who loves natures, history or some iconic movie landscapes? :D 

Chris is your man for history. 

And not just because he's lived through so much of it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The_batflash123 said:

A lot of Game of Thrones was filmed in Northern Ireland, you can find a few tours that will take you around the sites if you're a fan of the show!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_batflash123 said:

If your capitals include Edinburgh there is A LOT to see here :) Edinburgh Castle, Mary King's Close, Greyfriars, Rosslyn Chapel just outside of Edinburgh (for the whole Dan Brown/da Vinci Code thing), various locations used for Trainspotting (Black Bull pub being the most memorable I think) and, er, Waverly train station for the early Avengers Infinity War fight bit... that last one sounds especially I exciting I know... yay, trains... you're welcome... ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EllaBlair said:

A lot of Game of Thrones was filmed in Northern Ireland, you can find a few tours that will take you around the sites if you're a fan of the show!

I am a fan of the show, already have some locations on my list but the list is endless by now. Thanks :) 

42 minutes ago, Broo said:

If your capitals include Edinburgh there is A LOT to see here :) Edinburgh Castle, Mary King's Close, Greyfriars, Rosslyn Chapel just outside of Edinburgh (for the whole Dan Brown/da Vinci Code thing), various locations used for Trainspotting (Black Bull pub being the most memorable I think) and, er, Waverly train station for the early Avengers Infinity War fight bit... that last one sounds especially I exciting I know... yay, trains... you're welcome... ;)

Edinburgh is the one I really want to visit. Never been to Scotland before, I really like castles and ruins. I didn't know there were locations of the Da Vinci Code close to Edinburgh. Never seen Trainspotting, is it any good?

6 minutes ago, natedammit said:

448.jpg

So... there I was. I had only recently landed at Edinburgh airport, and taken a bus into the middle of the city. the bus gave me a nice tour through the town which I hadn't visited for around 8 years, when we suddenly arrived at a building with a 'zig zag' roof. "I've seen that before" I thought to myself "and more recently than when I last visited this city". After a quick search on the interwebs using my phone, I found out that my suspicions were correct and I had indeed seen the building fairly recently in a fairly popular movie called Avengers: Infinity War. I like visiting places used in movies so I decided to take a look inside. I'd never been inside here before but thanks to the movie, it all felt very familiar. The station was alive with activity. People rushing to be on time, trains pulling in and out of the platform. It was jolly exciting! It took some finding, using the pictures from the internet and some help by a friendly information guard at the station but I eventually found the place that they had used for the filming, where I took some photos and marvelled at the spectre of what had happened here. 

RirlxY2.jpg

"This has made my day" I thought to myself as I made my way out of the station to see what other exciting things I could find.

This is an excerpt from Wrong Name's Edinburgh Adventure (available from no good book shops), part 112 of a 120 part series on Wrong Name's UK adventures. See book shop for details.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

So... there I was. I had only recently landed at Edinburgh airport, and taken a bus into the middle of the city. the bus gave me a nice tour through the town which I hadn't visited for around 8 years, when we suddenly arrived at a building with a 'zig zag' roof. "I've seen that before" I thought to myself "and more recently than when I last visited this city". After a quick search on the interwebs using my phone, I found out that my suspicions were correct and I had indeed seen the building fairly recently in a fairly popular movie called Avengers: Infinity War. I like visiting places used in movies so I decided to take a look inside. I'd never been inside here before but thanks to the movie, it all felt very familiar. The station was alive with activity. People rushing to be on time, trains pulling in and out of the platform. It was jolly exciting! It took some finding, using the pictures from the internet and some help by a friendly information guard at the station but I eventually found the place that they had used for the filming, where I took some photos and marvelled at the spectre of what had happened here. 

RirlxY2.jpg

"This has made my day" I thought to myself as I made my way out of the station to see what other exciting things I could find.

This is an excerpt from Wrong Name's Edinburgh Adventure (available from no good book shops), part 112 of a 120 part series on Wrong Name's UK adventures. See book shop for details.

Is it published by DeAgostini?  Part 1 just 99p*

*following editions £4.99.

• Haha 1

@Wrong Name that was actually an entertaining read, the next time I'm at Waverly (a fairly regular haunt since I've lived here longer than @R4wly97 has been alive...) I shall try to view it with a little of the wonder you did rather than the usual"ffs people move quicker I need to get to my platform!!!"

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Broo said:

rather than the usual"ffs people move quicker I need to get to my platform!!!"

You can do both, marvel ('scuse the pun) at being on a film set whilst wishing everyone else would just stop gawping and get out of the frikkin way.

• Like 1