LATEST GUEST ANNOUNCEMENT - TOBY STEPHENS

showmasters

Was gutted when he cancelled last summer but was so glad I finally got to meet Toby yesterday. 

I’d heard anecdotes he did not seem to enjoy himself when he did a LFCC back around when Die Another Day came out, but hey, he decided to come to this one?

I got the impression these shows aren’t really his kind of thing and didn’t look 100% at ease but I thought he was really good. Was pleasant and courteous to everyone at the signing table, took his time and did not give you a rushed feeling. He kindly added a long quote to my Bond picture. Did poses with people in the photoshoot. 

Really great guest. 

3 hours ago, Dent_1 said:

Was gutted when he cancelled last summer but was so glad I finally got to meet Toby yesterday. 

I’d heard anecdotes he did not seem to enjoy himself when he did a LFCC back around when Die Another Day came out, but hey, he decided to come to this one?

I got the impression these shows aren’t really his kind of thing and didn’t look 100% at ease but I thought he was really good. Was pleasant and courteous to everyone at the signing table, took his time and did not give you a rushed feeling. He kindly added a long quote to my Bond picture. Did poses with people in the photoshoot. 

Really great guest. 

Same experience here, reall loved the guy, DAD was the first Bond movie I saw so he’s my Bond Vilain :whistling:

3 hours ago, Kurdamoni said:

Same experience here, reall loved the guy, DAD was the first Bond movie I saw so he’s my Bond Vilain :whistling:

I thought he was a really good Bond villain! That said, there has been more than one article where you get the impression he doesn't hold it up as one of his crowning achievements in his career.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/jamesbond/9719323/Maggie-Smiths-son-Toby-Stephens-says-he-cant-face-appearing-in-another-James-Bond-film.html

I do wonder what it's like for these guests who are so well known for something like Bond (and it was indeed Bond items everyone around me was having signed when I was in the queue), and have to sign all that stuff, when they'd rather be remembered for their other work?

I got my Gustav Graves pic signed but at the photoshoot I mentioned that I enjoyed him in Jane Eyre and he seemed genuinely happy about that.

Toby was nice to meet and we had a brief chat about his first TV role in the Camomile Lawn - which I very much enjoyed as a 17 year old when it first screened ;)

But for almost any actor whose first love is the theatre (as Toby's clearly is) they can often be dismissive of their screen work as opposed to stage.  It's just one of those things.