Extra Help Information please

Ravogd

This has been answered before for LFCC but I wanted to clarify before we purchase our tickets for DST. I will be a fully paid up carer for my partner again and I understand all about the extra help at photoshoots and autographs. However, this is the first time she will be attending paid talks at a (larger) convention. We did one or two free ones at DST last time but she really wants to do as many of the paid talks this time as she can. So much so that she is buying a Commander package. Now I cannot financially stretch to this but will have a full weekend ticket. She will want me to be near to her due to her anxiety. She is also in a wheelchair and needs me to push her around all weekend. What is the policy regarding seating at these paid talks? Will I be able to sit beside her or will I have to leave her due to her being sat with the Commanders and go sit at the back?

Edited by Ravogd

I emailed them a few days ago and they weren't really able to give any information about what the procedures were other than confirming that there would be wristbands. The information for other events has been so detailed not sure why it isn't for this event, doesn't help with the planning.

43 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

I emailed them a few days ago and they weren't really able to give any information about what the procedures were other than confirming that there would be wristbands. The information for other events has been so detailed not sure why it isn't for this event, doesn't help with the planning.

It’s probably because it’s a Massive Events Con not a Showmasters one. There are a few differences but everything is mostly the same. It’s the same blue/red shirts as LFCC (more or less) so it all runs the same. 

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

DST isn't a SM Only show if that makes sense, it is a collaboration between Massive Events, Media 10 with Showmasters involvement.  All I would advise if you email them again and say you need further information and clarity on the process and procedures, if you don't get very far post back on here and we will see what we can do to help.

7 minutes ago, StuartG2198 said:

DST isn't a SM Only show if that makes sense, it is a collaboration between Massive Events, Media 10 with Showmasters involvement.  All I would advise if you email them again and say you need further information and clarity on the process and procedures, if you don't get very far post back on here and we will see what we can do to help.

Yes it does make sense. I'll email them later today when I get a chance. Thanks for the reply Stuart!

14 hours ago, Ravogd said:

This has been answered before for LFCC but I wanted to clarify before we purchase our tickets for DST. I will be a fully paid up carer for my partner again and I understand all about the extra help at photoshoots and autographs. However, this is the first time she will be attending paid talks at a (larger) convention. We did one or two free ones at DST last time but she really wants to do as many of the paid talks this time as she can. So much so that she is buying a Commander package. Now I cannot financially stretch to this but will have a full weekend ticket. She will want me to be near to her due to her anxiety. She is also in a wheelchair and needs me to push her around all weekend. What is the policy regarding seating at these paid talks? Will I be able to sit beside her or will I have to leave her due to her being sat with the Commanders and go sit at the back?

In my experience if you have a carer wristband (which you'll get with her EH one) on you at all times then you accompany your partner wherever she needs you to be, especially if you explain why to crew at the event. I'd say if you both sit on the end of a commander row for talks, there will more than likely be sufficient room to accommodate both of you (remember you’d be sitting on a seat she’d otherwise paid to be using were it not for needing her wheelchair) - I highly doubt you’d get every commander package holder attending every talk going. If not, sit on the end of the first row immediately behind?

Edited by robmoriarty
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, robmoriarty said:

In my experience if you have a carer wristband (which you'll get with her EH one) on you at all times then you accompany your partner wherever she needs you to be, especially if you explain why to crew at the event. I'd say if you both sit on the end of a commander row for talks, there will more than likely be sufficient room to accommodate both of you (remember you’d be sitting on a seat she’d otherwise paid to be using were it not for needing her wheelchair) - I highly doubt you’d get every commander package holder attending every talk going. If not, sit on the end of the first row immediately behind?

Thanks Rob. What you say makes sense and I think it has been the case in the past although there is no commander section as such, just admirals get in first, then captains then commanders etc. The reason I asked was I read in one of the threads for LFCC that it was no longer the case that wheelchairs etc were put near the front as too many people who payed for priority complained about non-paying carers taking up the prime seats and as such something was different at talks and wheelchairs were put somewhere else. I couldn’t find the thread when I went looking the other day. It’s also the fact that whilst I will be a paying attendee, these will be paid talks which I do not want to buy a ticket for. I need to be there purely as a carer. I’m sure it will be OK I just wanted to get everything clarified. I will email the address Raylenth suggested above to get final clarification.

4 hours ago, Ravogd said:

Thanks Rob. What you say makes sense and I think it has been the case in the past although there is no commander section as such, just admirals get in first, then captains then commanders etc. The reason I asked was I read in one of the threads for LFCC that it was no longer the case that wheelchairs etc were put near the front as too many people who payed for priority complained about non-paying carers taking up the prime seats and as such something was different at talks and wheelchairs were put somewhere else. I couldn’t find the thread when I went looking the other day. It’s also the fact that whilst I will be a paying attendee, these will be paid talks which I do not want to buy a ticket for. I need to be there purely as a carer. I’m sure it will be OK I just wanted to get everything clarified. I will email the address Raylenth suggested above to get final clarification.

There have been designated sections at the last two DST's I've attended. To me it sounds like some of the complainers should be winding their wooly heads in, especially if those with accessible needs have paid for the same level of access they have... 

The maths of it is not in their favour.

If there are ten (for round numbers) admiral seats and a wheelchair user pays for and is entitled to use one of them but cannot sit in it, there is no earthly reason why their PA cannot sit in one of those seats. There are still nine other seats available for other admirals to use as the wheelchair user has added another seat by bringing their own. If they are taking up two seats (leaving eight) that can start to be a different matter if there are a number taking that option at the same time, in which case the organisers should think about placing some seats around the edge of the seating area that can be used by carers and PAs instead (which I did see in operation at Collectormania).

Edit (guidance I was always advised to follow...): "Tier sizes have not been released, but if your needs require your carer to constantly be with you then we will try and seat you on the end of the row within your particular tier with your carer sat beside you. Should you have any issue on the day, there will be a crew member available to assist."

Edited by robmoriarty
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, robmoriarty said:

Edit (guidance I was always advised to follow...): "Tier sizes have not been released, but if your needs require your carer to constantly be with you then we will try and seat you on the end of the row within your particular tier with your carer sat beside you. Should you have any issue on the day, there will be a crew member available to assist."

Excellent thanks. I’ve not heard back from my email yet but what you say makes perfect sense. What you say above is what I expected would happen and I would hope it’s the same this time around.

Now you mention it I do remember there being designated sections. We didn’t go to any talks but we did attend the Shatner’s World show on the Saturday evening (which was separate from the con, you didn’t need a con ticket to go to it) and those tickets had tiered pricing and even though they didn’t use the same terms it was strange as in order to reduce gaps they moved everyone forward to sections they may not have paid for. 

Edited by Ravogd

It's strange to hear that anyone has complained, I've found DST to have some of the most friendly and helpful people attending, admirals often tell me to go in front of them for photoshoots even though I am happy to wait, it's one of the most inclusive events, it goes with the Star Trek ethos of acceptance I think, I've never gone as anything but standard entry but doubt you'll have any trouble.

24 minutes ago, Daniel_Baker said:

It's strange to hear that anyone has complained, I've found DST to have some of the most friendly and helpful people attending, admirals often tell me to go in front of them for photoshoots even though I am happy to wait, it's one of the most inclusive events, it goes with the Star Trek ethos of acceptance I think, I've never gone as anything but standard entry but doubt you'll have any trouble.

I think the people were complaining are the ones are LFCC, I know there was an issue with wheelchairs not being allowed to go to the front in talks. Though I have never attended DST before so I might be wrong.