Academy Awards: 'Achievement in Popular Film'

natedammit

I think it is good, as films in genres such as sci-fi often get overlooked by the academy in favour of dramas. This new category will allow those films a fair chance to win an Oscar. For example, I doubt Infinity War will be nominated for much outside of the effects categories, but this new award could have allowed it the chance to win (although I think I read that this category won't be implemented until 2020, but you get my point).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

I think it is good, as films in genres such as sci-fi often get overlooked by the academy in favour of dramas. This new category will allow those films a fair chance to win an Oscar. For example, I doubt Infinity War will be nominated for much outside of the effects categories, but this new award could have allowed it the chance to win (although I think I read that this category won't be implemented until 2020, but you get my point).

Aww, poor Avengers, they'll have to make do with 2 billion dollars and a half a dozen technical nominations/wins. Anyway, A:IW isn't winning this award (it is coming in for the next ceremony, apparently), Black Panther is. Everyone knows that. It's the only reason why the award exists. That and the terrible ratings the award show has been getting. 

What about the quality films that get overlooked by the public? They all get a boost from being Best Picture nominated, or even being in the discussion as potential nominees, and now they'll be overshadowed in the headlines by the films that are in the headlines all the time anyway. 

1 hour ago, natedammit said:

Aww, poor Avengers, they'll have to make do with 2 billion dollars and a half a dozen technical nominations/wins. Anyway, A:IW isn't winning this award (it is coming in for the next ceremony, apparently), Black Panther is. Everyone knows that. It's the only reason why the award exists. That and the terrible ratings the award show has been getting. 

What about the quality films that get overlooked by the public? They all get a boost from being Best Picture nominated, or even being in the discussion as potential nominees, and now they'll be overshadowed in the headlines by the films that are in the headlines all the time anyway. 

The traditional Best Picture category will still exist, so those films that may be overlooked by the general public can and most likely will be nominated for that. For example, "You were never really here". I hope that will get nominated for best picture,  and people who are interested in the Oscars will still look into what has been nominated for that award. Thus allowing more popular and mainstream films to win the new award, and these lesser known films to succeed in the best picture category.

I think I made some sense there. :D

Edited by The Friendly Dalek
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

The traditional Best Picture category will still exist, so those films that may be overlooked by the general public can and most likely will be nominated for that. For example, "You were never really here". I hope that will get nominated for best picture,  and people who are interested in the Oscars will still look into what has been nominated for that award. Thus allowing more popular and mainstream films to win the new award, and these lesser known films to succeed in the best picture category.

I think I made some sense there. :D

You did make sense. Buuuuut, think of all the headlines and publicity garnered this year by 'The Shape of Water' (and 'Three Billboards'...) and how much that will have helped their sales. Imagine if 'You Were Never Really Here' wins Best Picture next year - all the headlines the next day will be about Black Panther and 'YWNRH' will be a footnote. It makes less money, and films like it become less likely to be made. 

Also think of 'Get Out'. It was a big deal that it was nominated for Best Picture last year - and evidence that the Academy's attempts to diversify their voters was working. It was the 15th highest US grossing film in 2017, surely that would qualify it for the 'Popular Film' category? It's highly plausible that it would not have been nominated for 'Best Picture' at all if the new category had existed this year - much like animations and foreign films are overlooked because they have their own categories.

45 minutes ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

Well it looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree in regards to this.:D

I agree to nothing :angry:

Worst award ever! 

Mind you all Oscars are rigged anyway, great films dont win because of politics etc... if you dont have tonnes of cash to promote your film you do not win either....bribe bribe bribe...

But this new award is hilarious.

Basically its so Black Panther can win. As it was so crap its never gonna win a real award. 

Edited by RomeroSavini

I disagree vastly on Black Panther.

The acting was dreadful a lot of the time, the direlogue was shocking, the action was poor and the effects work was laughable - a total CGI abomination in places. The end fight was literally a painful thing to watch such dodgy effects, like someone playing a Playstation 4 game.

So crap for me. Anyone lauding it because of politically fueled matters and ignoring its flaws, well each to their own :-D

14 minutes ago, RomeroSavini said:

Anyone lauding it because of politically fueled matters and ignoring its flaws, well each to their own

Everyone has pointed out the flaws they thought it had. You're the first to mention "politically fuelled matters" in this thread, which is possibly quite instructive.