Sam Neill Appreciation! :)

ChloeLou

Let's all talk about how amazing Sam Neill is, shall we? :smile:

I have loved the Jurassic Park films since I was very young. I have always loved the third film and it is a personal favourite of mine. When Sam Neill was announced; I was out for a meal, so I had to contain my excitement in the middle of a restaurant. Not easy. When I arrived home, my photograph session was booked straight away for Sunday! I was so happy! I wasn't able to make it to Sam's morning session, so I joined the afternoon session. As I stood in the queue, I was so nervous! There was a lady in front of me, so we started chatting. Despite being very shy, we got along very well. She asked me how long I had been a fan of Sam for. We had a nice little chat about Jurassic Park lll. This made me feel a bit calmer. When it was my turn, I walked over to Sam. He was very smiley. We greeted and he shook my hand. I told him how much I loved him in The Tudors! He put his arm around me; and was really appreciative of what I told him, and thanked me more than once. Saying: "Thank you! Thank you very much! God bless you," and was really so polite. We thanked one another. Then we said goodbye. This was such a special moment for me! As I came out of the photograph area, I was beaming! Sam was really polite, friendly and smiley! :smile:

Feel free to share your experiences, too! :smile:

Edited by ChloeLou
  • Like 2

I was thrilled when Sam was announced as I've been a fan of his since he played Damien Thorn in Omen III: The Final Conflict and Vasiliy Borodin in The Hunt For Red October. I had nothing planned for the photoshoot but at the last minute I made a sign that read "#DamienThorn4President" and asked him to hold it. He took one look, laughed and asked if I was serious, giggled some more and then stood holding it during the op. Really made my weekend!

Edited by johnhuk
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

I unfortunately wasn't able to meet him due to funds (Doctors come first;)) but I am glad to hear that he was so nice.

Thank you! He was so lovely! If he attends again, I definately recommend meeting him! I'm glad you had a great time meeting the Doctors, though! :smile:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, johnhuk said:

I was thrilled when Sam was announced as I've been a fan of his since he played Damien Thorn in Omen II: The Final Conflict and Vasiliy Borodin in The Hunt For Red October. I had nothing planned for the photoshoot but at the last minute I made a sign that read "#DamienThorn4President" and asked him to hold it. He took one look, laughed and asked if I was serious, giggled some more and then stood holding it during the op. Really made my weekend!

That's amazing! I'm glad you had such an amazing experience! :D

• Like 1

Yes, great guy, his talk was really funny, he looks great in the photoshoots and he was very nice at the autograph table.  My Dad was a friend of the eccentric late singer Screamin' Jay Hawkins, so I had to point out that in Sam's film "Death In Brunswick", there was a framed pic of Screamin' Jay on the wall at one point.  "Well spotted, we all loved him" he said, looking genuinely surprised.  All pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things but for me,  it's these unexpected little exchanges you can have with a big guest that end up making your day.

Thanks SM for persevering and getting him back.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MVronsky78 said:

Yes, great guy, his talk was really funny, he looks great in the photoshoots and he was very nice at the autograph table.  My Dad was a friend of the eccentric late singer Screamin' Jay Hawkins, so I had to point out that in Sam's film "Death In Brunswick", there was a framed pic of Screamin' Jay on the wall at one point.  "Well spotted, we all loved him" he said, looking genuinely surprised.  All pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things but for me,  it's these unexpected little exchanges you can have with a big guest that end up making your day.

Thanks SM for persevering and getting him back.

That's great! I'm glad you had a great time meeting him! Sam is a wonderful guy! :smile:

I totally agree. Something that maybe trivial to someone else, is important to you! I try and have something planned before I meet a guest; but if I'm nervous, that goes out the window. Then I usually just say what comes to mind. Like you said, it can be these little exchanges that make your day! :smile:

18 hours ago, MVronsky78 said:

Yes, that's what I do, but then I completely forgot to congratulate Matt Smith on his Emmy nomination despite thinking about it beforehand!  As you say, nerves, excitement or spontaneity takes over!  Glad you had had a good time.

Thank you! I'm glad you had a good time, too! :smile:

Exactly! Nerves just take over, don't they? Sometimes I say what I had already planned, but it rarely works out that way...

Congratulations to Matt Smith! :smile:

Well a few folks might recall I got a teensy bit emotional when he was announced - tears were shed ;) meeting him was wonderful, like has been said above he was very friendly, chatted with folks, seemed to take everything in his stride while enjoying himself too. Doesn't sound a big deal I'm sure but when I went up for the photo, having said "hello sir" he asked if I was Irish. No one ever correctly guesses that from my accent as it's a rather strange Irish/American/English combination so it made my day he picked up on that :)

And I know I posted it elsewhere but I love my photo with him and it makes me happy so here it is again:

2j5nx9j.jpg

Sam Neill. With his arm around me. :wub::wub::wub:

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Broo said:

Doesn't sound a big deal I'm sure but when I went up for the photo, having said "hello sir" he asked if I was Irish. No one ever correctly guesses that from my accent as it's a rather strange Irish/American/English combination so it made my day he picked up on that :)

Sounds great, broo! :D

Don't know if you know or not but Sam was born in Omagh and spent a few years there before his parents moved back to New Zealand. His dad was stationed there as he was a member of the Irish Guards. :smile:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

Don't know if you know or not but Sam was born in Omagh and spent a few years there before his parents moved back to New Zealand. His dad was stationed there as he was a member of the Irish Guards. :smile:

That will explain why his accent in Peaky Blinders was so good (even though it was Belfast/Northern Irish he did in that)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

I didn't know that, cool! :)

21 hours ago, Broo said:

Well a few folks might recall I got a teensy bit emotional when he was announced - tears were shed ;) meeting him was wonderful, like has been said above he was very friendly, chatted with folks, seemed to take everything in his stride while enjoying himself too. Doesn't sound a big deal I'm sure but when I went up for the photo, having said "hello sir" he asked if I was Irish. No one ever correctly guesses that from my accent as it's a rather strange Irish/American/English combination so it made my day he picked up on that :)

And I know I posted it elsewhere but I love my photo with him and it makes me happy so here it is again:

2j5nx9j.jpg

Sam Neill. With his arm around me. :wub::wub::wub:

That's a wonderful experience, Broo! Your picture with Sam is lovely! :smile:

I was so happy when Sam was announced! Trying to contain your excitement in a restaurant isn't easy! I tried to contain myself, but it didn't really work that way... People just sort of looked at me! :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChloeLou said:

That's a wonderful experience, Broo! Your picture with Sam is lovely! :smile:

I was so happy when Sam was announced! Trying to contain your excitement in a restaurant isn't easy! I tried to contain myself, but it didn't really work that way... People just sort of looked at me! :lol:

Thank you so much my dear <3 oh bless you being somewhere public when his attendance was announced!! Ach well, I'm sure it was nice for folks to see you so happy in that moment :)

Also thanks for sharing your experience meeting him, awesome that you got to express appreciation for cardinal Wolsey and that he seemed touched by it :) Loved loved loved him in The Tudors!

• Like 1