Jump to content
The Friendly Dalek

My huge Doctor Who episode marathon.

Recommended Posts

Carnival Of Monsters- Yet another really good Pertwee story. Both Pertwee and Manning are great. 

The other characters are alright, but not particularly memorable,  and the dialogue is good for the most part. The Drashigs look great in my opinion. The story is an interesting concept, and thankfully the rest of the production allowed a good concept to be make into a great story. It's really a lot of fun, and a story I can sit back and just enjoy.

Overall- 8/10.

Edited by The Friendly Dalek
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to get the Target books from my local library-this one (Carnival of Monsters) in particular was a good read.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

Carnival Of Monsters- Yet another really good Pertwee story. Both Pertwee and Manning are great. 

The other characters are alright, but not particularly memorable,  and the dialogue is good for the most part. The Drashigs look great in my opinion. The story is an interesting concept, and thankfully the rest of the production allowed a good concept to be make into a great story. It's really a lot of fun, and a story I can sit back and just enjoy.

Overall- 8/10.

I’ve often felt this story gets underrated a lot possibly due to the poor realisation of the drashigs. It really is very good. An early appearance of “Davros” too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frontier In Space- Another underrated one in my opinion. 

I love a good dialogue and character driven political story, and this is one of the finest examples of that type of story that Doctor Who has ever produced in my opinion. The dialogue is great. 

The intrigue and mystery in this story is brilliant, and the characters are great. The Master is very good here, but sadly this was the last story in which Delgado played the character. His exit wasn't handled well at all to be honest.

The Draconians are a very intriguing race in my eyes, and I wouldn't mind seeing them return in the modern series.

The Daleks were well introduced into the story, and didn't feel shoehorned in. It leads vey well into the next story. Sadly I do feel a drags a little around parts and 3 and 4.

Overall- 9/10.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Planet Of The Daleks- A very enjoyable Dalek story.

The story continues nicely from the ending of the previous story. The plot of this one recycles ideas from previous Dalek stories, but they still work here. The Daleks themselves are well utilised, and the Supreme Dalek looks very good.

The characters and acting are good, and the dialogue is decent. The story does drag a little though.

Overall- 8/10 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

Frontier In Space- Another underrated one in my opinion. 

I love a good dialogue and character driven political story, and this is one of the finest examples of that type of story that Doctor Who has ever produced in my opinion. The dialogue is great. 

The intrigue and mystery in this story is brilliant, and the characters are great. The Master is very good here, but sadly this was the last story in which Delgado played the character. His exit wasn't handled well at all to be honest.

The Draconians are a very intriguing race in my eyes, and I wouldn't mind seeing them return in the modern series.

The Daleks were well introduced into the story, and didn't feel shoehorned in. It leads vey well into the next story. Sadly I do feel a drags a little around parts and 3 and 4.

Overall- 9/10.

It is brilliant this story although to be fair they did not expect this to be the last time Delgado played the Master hence the lack of a proper exit from the series. There were tentative for the Master to return in what was to be his and the third Doctor’s final story but some dodgy Turkish taxi driver put paid to those plans!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

Planet Of The Daleks- A very enjoyable Dalek story.

The story continues nicely from the ending of the previous story. The plot of this one recycles ideas from previous Dalek stories, but they still work here. The Daleks themselves are well utilised, and the Supreme Dalek looks very good.

The characters and acting are good, and the dialogue is decent. The story does drag a little though.

Overall- 8/10 

Can’t agree. 2/10 tops. It’s the original Daley story all over again. A classic Nation device that they got away with as The Daleks was over 10 years old at this point and nobody would have seen it since the original transmission, and the current audience wouldn’t have a clue about it. He tried to sell them this script again in 1974 but Dicks and Let’s put their foot down and told him to come up with something original. This led to Genesis of the Daleks!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

Can’t agree. 2/10 tops. It’s the original Daley story all over again. A classic Nation device that they got away with as The Daleks was over 10 years old at this point and nobody would have seen it since the original transmission, and the current audience wouldn’t have a clue about it. He tried to sell them this script again in 1974 but Dicks and Let’s put their foot down and told him to come up with something original. This led to Genesis of the Daleks!

Fair enough. I felt the formula worked well and produced a fun story, hence why I like it and don't mind that fact that it copied other stories.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Green Death- Another perfect story from the Pertwee era. Every actor is at the top of their game here, and Katy Manning is fantastic. Her final scene is a heart-breaking moment, and the shot if The Doctor driving away in the darkness is wonderful.

The story itself deals with adult themes in a mature way, something which I really appreciate. It doesn't drag at all, and the villains are interesting. The maggots look very good for the time, and I also don't mind the giant fly.

Overall- 10/10.

Overall rating for Season 10- 9/10.

A huge return to form here. Every story in this season is excellent, and the production and acting are consistently brilliant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

The Green Death- Another perfect story from the Pertwee era. Every actor is at the top of their game here, and Katy Manning is fantastic. Her final scene is a heart-breaking moment, and the shot if The Doctor driving away in the darkness is wonderful.

The story itself deals with adult themes in a mature way, something which I really appreciate. It doesn't drag at all, and the villains are interesting. The maggots look very good for the time, and I also don't mind the giant fly.

Overall- 10/10.

Overall rating for Season 10- 9/10.

A huge return to form here. Every story in this season is excellent, and the production and acting are consistently brilliant.

So ahead of its time with the green issues and basically predicting the invention of “Quorn” vegetarian meat substitute. The Doctor in drag. I love this episode. The cast were perfect. It was obvious that Katy Manning and Stewart Bevan were in a relationship in real life at this time. Never mind all this nonsense people spout about Rose’s departure being the saddest (I HATE Rose so I was delighted to see her go) this has by far the saddest departure ever. It is usually the companion looking sad and/or regretting leaving while the Doctor gets on with it but this turns it on its head. The Doctor realising its time to move on for Jo but him not wanting her to, Jo barely noticing the Doctor leaving, then Bessie driving off into the sunset. Gets me every time. 10/10 and my that’s my top 3 Who stories passed now. War Games, The Demons and The Green Death.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the earliest Who story I have memory of-watched it again ahead of Katy's planned appearance at Glasgow FCC. Geuinely scary in parts- a big favourite of mine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Time Warrior-  Another fantastic Pertwee era story.

It's nice to return to time travelling stories, but the lack of the UNIT family is felt. The supporting characters here are rather over the top, and it works for some but not others. The dialogue is brilliant though. Pertwee appears to be enjoying being able to do something different, which is nice, and Elizabeth Sladen is wonderful as Sarah Jane, who is one of my favourite companions (obviously :D).

The Sontaran Linx is an incredible villain, in terms of dialogue and performance. This is one of the few times where they feel truly threatening.

Overall- 9/10.

A great start to Pertwee's final series.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a scary moment when Linx revealed his face for the first time. The Sontarans seem to be comic foils these days.

Sarah Jane is my all-time favourite companion :wub2:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sarah Jane is MY companion because she was the earliest one I remember watching and I was devastated when she left (I’ll wait for your Hand of Fear review for that one). I’m not that big a fan of her in the early Pertwee’s largely due to script writers no knowing what to do with her and also because of the way the 3rd Doctor doesn’t seem to like her very much but that could have been Pertwee beginning to feel fed up in the roll and unhappy at the breakup of his “family.” To be fair to her she makes a tremendous job of what little she is given. Sontarans bore me because there are too many contradictions in their race and they way they are portrayed. It is enjoyable enough of a story though. I also dislike this season’s opening credits. Pertwee looks like a bobble head doll. Thank goodness they dropped the full body of the doctor in the future and went with the floaty head thing instead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

I also dislike this season’s opening credits. Pertwee looks like a bobble head doll. Thank goodness they dropped the full body of the doctor in the future and went with the floaty head thing instead.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the title sequence. There are elements to this one that I do like, but I agree that Pertwee's entire body was a bit much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Invasion of the Dinosaurs- Another sadly under appreciated story. 

The dinosaurs look awful. However, if you can overlook that, there is an interesting and intellectual story surrounding it.

The plot is great, and is interesting enough to not drag at all. Episode 1 is hugely atmospheric. The characters are intriguing and the dialogue is well written.

I find myself enjoying this story a lot. I may think far more highly of it than other people (considering what I have read regarding other people's thoughts on this episode) but I have to be honest and admit that I love it.

Overall- 9/10. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So glad you think this way. It gets derided purely for the effects which from Dr Who fans I just do not understand. It has such unprecedented themes and as for one of the good guys who you have known and admired for years suddenly joining the bad guys, well what other show did that? Just brilliant. The looks or disappointment from the Doctor and the suppressed rage from the Brig just so well done. I actually talked about this story with Richard Franklin at Glasgow Film and Comic Con a couple of years ago and he said that while it was very interesting as an actor to do this story it was also very hard to do because it felt like HE was betraying his friends. The legendary late great Peter Miles too. I’ve always loved this one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Death To The Daleks- Meh.

Nothing really memorable here. The characters aren't interesting or particularly memorable. The Daleks are ok, but nothing special. The Exillons look alright, and the dialogue is ok. The story is decent.

This is one of those which isn't flat out awful, but it's not great either. It's just ok.

Overall- 5/10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Monster Of Peladon- Another which I really like, but the majority do not.

I think this story is only slightly weaker than the previous Peladon story. I really like most of the characters here, but they are not all great. The Ice Warriors return to being villainous, and it works. 

Pertwee is great as always, and Sladen really shines here in my opinion.

Sadly the story isn't hugely interesting and does drag a bit.

Overall- 8/10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Planet Of The Spiders- We've reached the end of the Pertwee era. And sadly it isn't the best. It's very enjoyable, but I'll explain my issues with it soon. 

Pertwee gives a great final performance, and most of the other characters are great. Tommy particularly stands out. I like how the story resolves plot threads from earlier in the Pertwee era, such as regarding his trips to Metabelis Three in previous stories. Some of the other supporting characters suffer from poor dialogue and poor acting.

Car chases and action sequences were a large part of the Pertwee era, so it makes sense that there is a huge, over the top chase in this story. However it does feel like padding as there really was no need for it to be as long as it was. The story isn't the strongest, and a lot of it does feel slow. 

The spiders themselves weren't very interesting wither, to be honest. The Great One impresses though purely through its apparent size and scale. 

Pertwee's final scene is heartbreaking to watch, and the acting from him and Elizabeth Sladen is fantastic. The regeneration itself is simple and effective, and personally I think it workd far better than the over the top explosive regenerations from modern Who.

Overall- 7/10.

Overall rating for Season 11- 8/10

This season had strong incredibly strong stories, but there are a few poor stories which pull it down. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know Jon loved his cars-any excuse to shoehorn a car chase in :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robot- This feels very much like a Pertwee story. I have no issue with that.;)

Tom Baker instantly excels as The Doctor, and the other regulars are great. Harry Sullivan is a wonderful companion, and I Ian Marter did more than one series.

The effects of the Robot look very good for the time, I think. However some of the supporting characters aren't well fleshed out, and are unmemorable, with pretty poor dialogue. Bar those few characters this is a very strong start to the Baker era.

Overall- 8/10.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ark In Space- Now this is more like it. :D

This story has everything. The characters and dialogue are excellent. The story is very intriguing, and episode 1 does a great job at building mystery. 

The idea of being slowly taken over by another being really stuck with me when I first watched this story many years ago. I still think it is a rather horrifying concept (even if it does look rather silly) and a very mature idea of Doctor Who. This era really did push the boundaries of what they could get away with, and I much prefer the more adult storylines of this era to the more silly and goofy stories in other eras of the show. As a horror fan I appreciate the tones and ideas of the Hinchcliffe era a lot. The purely white and claustrophobic sets add real tension and atmosphere, and really aid the more horrific undertones of the story.

Baker, Sladen and Marter are all fantastic, and honestly if you didn't know this was Tom's second story beforehand you probably wouldn't think that when watching the story, he is immediately brilliant in the role.

Overall- 10/10.

Edited by The Friendly Dalek
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...