My huge Doctor Who episode marathon.

The Friendly Dalek

Kinda- This is far superior to the previous stories in this season, and one of my all time favourites. I think this is the story in which Peter Davison's Doctor becomes fully defined and he really gets into the role. He is good in the previous two stories but from this point on he excels in the role. This is also the first story in which we fully get to see what Janet Fielding is capable of, acting wise. She gives a magnificent performance, and is one of the strongest parts of the story. The dialogue is well written and the plot is great. The whole cast do a wonderful job, and there are certainly memorable performances on display here. The sets and costume design also look great. The appearance of the snake in the final part is the only real negative, but it's such a minor thing that it isn't going to make me remove points from it.

Overall- 10/10

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

Kinda- This is far superior to the previous stories in this season, and one of my all time favourites. I think this is the story in which Peter Davison's Doctor becomes fully defined and he really gets into the role. He is good in the previous two stories but from this point on he excels in the role. This is also the first story in which we fully get to see what Janet Fielding is capable of, acting wise. She gives a magnificent performance, and is one of the strongest parts of the story. The dialogue is well written and the plot is great. The whole cast do a wonderful job, and there are certainly memorable performances on display here. The sets and costume design also look great. The appearance of the snake in the final part is the only real negative, but it's such a minor thing that it isn't going to make me remove points from it.

Overall- 10/10

The snake isn't too bad at the end if you have the updated special effects enabled.

On 11/25/2018 at 9:30 PM, The Friendly Dalek said:

The Leisure Hive- We now enter 80s Who and I don't think that it is a problem at all. I love the 80s. :lol:

From the very beginning, everything feels different. For one, there is a radically different title sequence and theme, and honestly I prefer this version of the theme to the original (I know, blasphemy right? :P)

Tom Baker gets a new outfit for this Season, and I really like it. Everything looks more glossy and bright, and the score certainly sounds like the 80s. It all looks great, but the story falters in terms of character and dialogue. The villains are not memorable at all either.

Overall- 6/10.

I just LOVE the title sequence and theme. Just class.

• Like 1

The Visitation- This is another one that I really like.

The regulars are brilliant, and the supporting cast are good as well. Michael Robbins gives a really good performance. The set and costume design is wonderful.

The dialogue is wonderful, the story is pretty good, and the ending is interesting. The Terileptils are great monsters, and their design is pretty cool. 

I really don't have any issues with this story. I think of it a lot more highly than most people, but I do really love it and I have to be honest on these reviews.

Overall- 10/10.

• Like 1

Black Orchid- The first purely historical story since The Highlanders, and unfortunately the very last one. It is a very enjoyable story. The characters are fine, and the dialogue is good. The costumes and set design is fantastic. The only flaw with the story is that fact that it is so simple and lacks much depth (but depending on how I'm feeling I sometimes view that as a positive). The story is very short and moves nicely and at a quick pace.

Overall- 9/10.

Earthshock- This story sees the return of the Cybermen, and it is a great return for them. The Cybermen themselves are brilliant in this story (and I do have a soft spot for the design of the '80s Cybermen). The first episode in the cave is highly atmospheric and suspenseful. Sadly I don't think the story retains that level of high quality from the second episode onwards. It is still good, but the majority of characters aren't interesting and the acting is pretty bad at times. The story itself is full of holes and I find that it drags a little towards the end. However the ending pulls this episode way back up. For those who haven't seen this story I won't spoil what the ending is, but it is certainly an emotional one and is one of the few times in this show when something like that happens and remains permanent. 

Overall- 7/10.

• Like 1

Time-Flight-  This is undoubtedly one of the worst Doctor Who stories ever made. There is absolutely nothing good about this one. The story is crazy in concept, and there was no way they could ever make it well on their budget. I'm all for an ambitious tale but this was too far. It all looks awful. The acting and writing is terrible, and Anthony Ainley is unfortunately wasted. I think it is made even worse by the fact that it is the finale of a fairly strong Season, so it will be compared to the previous stories in the Season which are all better than it.

Overall- 1/10 

Overall for Season 19- 8/10.

Another very strong Season. Peter Davison is brilliant, and the other regulars are also very good. Many of the stories in this Season are very high quality, but a few bad ones ruin it. The writing is very good, and the show managed to escape the trap of being stuck under the shadow of the Tom Baker era. The Davison era kicks off with a great start and I don't miss Tom at all (now don't misinterpret me here, I love Tom Baker, of course I do. What I mean is, I didn't long to have Tom Baker still in the role at this point, Davison is a welcome breath of fresh air for the show, and I think that Tom left at the perfect time).

Arc Of Infinity- Unfortunately this is another story I don't really like.

The characters are for the most part bland and unmemorable. Omega is wasted, the character is no where near as well written or well acted as in The Three Doctors. Peter Davison is good, and his portrayal of Omega in the final episode is one the story's best aspects. It is nice to see the Time Lords again, and Colin Baker is actually pretty good as Commander Maxil.

The direction is flat and the dialogue is mostly poor. The costumes look rubbish, especially Omega's. The story itself is boring and I think it drags.

Overall- 3/10.

Snakedance- Unfortunately not as good as Kinda but still decent. Martin Cloones and Collete O'Neil are the best aspects of this story, they are both highly entertaining. The rest of the supporting cast are fine but no one else really stands out. The story is alright but no where near as well written as in Kinda. The Mara is still a good villain, and Janet Fielding is again fantastic.

Overall- 7/10.

Mawdryn Undead- I think this is a highly under rated story. The regulars are brilliant, and Valentine Dyall is wonderful as the Black Guardian. The return of Nicholas Courtney is great, and his performance is very good. The story itself is well written and interesting. Mark Strickson is great as Turlough, and he actually goes on to become one of my favourite companions. I absolutely love the character and Strickson's performance. David Collings does a great job as Mawdryn. If I have any issues with it it's the fact that the story takes a bit of time to actually get going. The first episode especially is very slow. 

Overall- 9/10.

Terminus- Nothing works here. This is a very bad story. In fact I'd say it is one of the worst in the show's history. There is not a single thing about it I enjoy.

The acting is rubbish from just about everyone (see the cliffhanger for episode 1). The regulars try their best but the dialogue is atrocious. The story itself is badly written, with the episode 4 twist being ludicrous, and the rather depressing subject matter makes the whole thing a chore to sit through. The Garm creature looked terrible as well.

This is also the final story for Sarah Sutton in the role of Nyssa, and it doesn't do the character justice at all. Her final on screen interactions with The Doctor and Tegan makes for a good scene, but the reason for her departure is one I don't like.

Overall- 1/10.

Enlightenment- A massively under rated one. This is easily one of my favourite stories of the Davison era (hence why this is the film I have signed by him). I love everything about it. The acting and characters are fantastic. Mark Strickson especially stands out as Turlough. Peter Davison is also great. Linda Baron is highly entertaining. The effects look good in the original version, so that's the version I watch. This story serves as a very satisfying conclusion to this trilogy of stories.

Overall- 10/10.

The King's Demons- Another meh story. It isn't really that memorable. It is very short so at least it doesn't drag at all. The regulars are good and the supporting cast are passable. Anthony Ainley is once again wasted. Kamelion was an interesting idea, but unfortunately far too ambitious for the show at this time. 

Overall- 5/10. 

Nothing really sticks out as bad about it. It is jsit really uneventful and unmemorable. It is fine for a quick watch to pass the time but that's about it in my opinion.

The Five Doctors- This is one of the most enjoyable and entertaining Doctor Who stories ever in my opinion, and it is one of the stories which I watch the most. 

The characters are great. The vast consists mostly of older characters, but they are all still great. The acting is brilliant and the dialogue is entertaining. The chemistry between the cast is fantastic.

The Doctors are as wonderful as ever. Richard Hurndall does a decent job as the First Doctor, but of course no one can really follow up from William Hartnell. Hurndall and David Bradley both do a fine job as the character though. Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee both seem like they never left the role, they are both so good. Peter Davison continues to do a great job. It's just a shame that Tom Baker didn't come back, but after playing the character for seven years I can understand why he didn't want to return to the role so soon.

Companion wise, Janet Fielding and Mark Strickson are still good. It is lovely to see Elizabeth Sladen back as Sarah Jane Smith, and all the other returning characters are great. Anthony Ainley is given another opportunity to shine as The Master and he is superb. 

The story itself is basic, and certain monster do feel shoehorned in, such as the Dalek and the Yeti. The Cybermen play a large role and are actually important to the plot, but there really is not point to the Yeti. I get that this is the 20th anniversary special and they are there to celebrate the show, but the story should never be compromised by fan service, which is what I think happens here. It is still very entertaining and enjoyable to watch but it is very simple. I love his story despite that fact though. 

Overall- 9/10.

Overall rating for Season 20- 7/10.

This is a decent anniversary Season. It's just a shame that some poor stories really do pull it down.

Edited by The Friendly Dalek
  • Like 1

Warriors Of The Deep- This story brings back two of my favourite villains, and neither of them are equal to their previous appearances. These villlains are the Silurians and the Sea Devils. They were both introduced in fantastic stories, and it is cool to see them teaming up, but they just aren't as effective here as they were in their introductory stories. I'm also not a fan of either of their physical appearances, I much prefer their original designs.

There is a decent script here, and the story is nicely paced and the dialogue is good. The Cold War undertones really add some tension and raises the stakes of the story. Unfortunately it is ruined by some atrocious acting and really poor visuals, even by classic Who standards. The sets look really bad here. Whilst on the subject of awful looking things, the Myrka has earnt it's reputation as one of the worst looking things the show has ever produced.

I adore the ending. I love seeing the Doctor forced into a situation in which they can see no clear good answer. The final line spoken in this story really sums up what I mean, and Davison delivers the line brilliantly.

Overall- 4/10.

The Awakening- An under rated gem. This is a hugely atmospheric and rather creepy little story. The story is brilliantly paced (due to its short run time). The acting and costume/set design is also wonderful. The Malus looks great. To be honest I can't really think of any flaws. It is short, simple and effective. A highlight of the Davison era in my opinion.

Overall- 10/10.

Frontios- Another pretty good story. The Tractators are interesting monsters, but I'm not a fan of their design.

The acting is dodgy at times but good for the most part. I love what this story does for the character of Turlough. Mark Strickson is fantastic in this story. A lot of these recent epsudoes have really showcased Strickson's talent, but I feel like Janet Fielding is often left to the sideline and not really given any special material to work with, which is a shame. Peter Davison also shines in this story.

The story itself is ambitious, and I like that. It is also a rather unique and clever story. I do feel it drags a little though around the middle, and some of the dialogue isn't that great or very interesting. 

Overall- 7/10.

Resurrection Of The Daleks- As  a Dalek story, I think this one of the best. The Daleks themselves and fantastically done here. They are cold and ruthless, which is exactly what they should always be. This is also the first story in which Terry Molloy plays Davros. I think Molloy is perfect in the role, equal to Michael Wisher even. Over his three stories in the part, Molloy fully captures the character and is always great. 

Unfortunately this story falters in most other aspects. The side villains are not interesting at all, to be honest I'm not a fan of the actual plot of this episode. The body count is also huge, especially for a Doctor Who story. After a while the shock factor really dissipates in my opinion and it is just killing for the sake of killing, which isn't entertaining at all to me. I find that parts 2 and 3 especially drag. The majority of the side characters are bland and uninteresting, and the dialogue isn't great either. Lytton is the exception, I think that is an interesting character. 

The best scene in this story is easily the meeting between The Doctor and Davros. What I love about this scene, is that we really get to see just how much of an effect the Daleks and Davros have on The Doctor, thanks to the characterisation of the 5th Doctor. This Doctor was written and portrayed to be a much more relaxed and gentle Doctor, which is why it's so effective when this particular incarnation snaps and threatens to shoot and kill Davros there and then. Another very powerful scene is the departure of Tegan. What I love about this particular companion's exit is the fact that it is so sudden. It isn't overplayed or emotionally drawn out, it is quick, simple, perfectly emotional and effective. 

Overall- 4/10.

The leads are brilliant in this story, and the villains are very good. There are also some stand out scenes which are very well done. The story and the majority of the dialogue and acting is what brings it down massively unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Planet Of Fire- This is one of the most unmemorable stories in the show's history in my opinion. Ask me tomorrow to name one supporting character or even give a detailed description of the plot and I wouldn't be able to. It isn't a bad story by any means, just really forgettable. 

The location shooting makes this one of the best looking stories from classic Who. The dialogue is fine, but the characters are bland. 

The Master isn't really used that effectively in this story. Anthony Ainley does his best, but the way the character is used just doesn't feel very Master-ey to me if that makes sense.

This is the story that introduces Nicola Bryant as Peri, and is the final story for Mark Strickson as Turlough. It works as a departure story for Turlough, because this story neatly wraps up his character arc that has been building from his introductory story. Unfortunately it isn't as good in regards to being an introductory story for a new companion. Nicola Bryant is good, but her character is so purely written and unlikable to start with in my opinion (the character doesn't coke into her own until the Colin Baker era in my opinion).

Overall- 6-10.

The Caves Of Androzani- This is my second favourite regeneration story (second only to The War Games). I can't believe we are already at the end of the Davison era, but what a way to go out.

This is one the best Doctor Who stories ever. Peter Davison gives his best performance, he is incredible here. Nicola Bryant is also good. 

The whole story feels very gritty and dangerous. None of the characters are particularly likeable, and this story does a greag job at showing there are good and bad people on both sides in a conflict. 

Sharaz Jek is a fantastic villain. Christopher Gable played the character wonderfully, aided by superb dialogue. The character is the perfect mix of creepy and insane, but also respectable. He has a love for art, and you kind of feel sorry for him when you find out what his story is. 

The reason for the Doctor's regeneration is one of best, not because of what kills him, but how he acts. He has the option to either save himself or Peri (and remember at this point he barely knows her). He chooses to save her and face death, and he really does believe that he  will die, making his choice even more onoactful. As I've mentioned when talking about previous stories, the 5th Doctor is one of the nicest and most human Doctors, and he really does care for people, which is why it feels so natural for this incarnation of the Docotr to be faced with a choice like that and make that decision. I also think that the regeneration itself is one of the most unique and visually interesting of all of them.

Overall- 10/10

Colin Baker has arrived, and I am more than happy about that. I am part of the group who absolutely loves the 6th Doctor, even in his earlier stories when he is at his arguably most unlikable point. I find it refreshing to have a Doctor who is arrogant and occasionally rude and will say what he thinks (I also like how Capaldi's version of the Doctor shares some parallels with the characterisation of the 6th Doctor), and this unpredictable and more alien feeling personality is a welcome change after the nice, kind personality of the 5th Doctor. Mini rant over. :lol:

• Like 2

The Twin Dilemma- Unfortunately this story is both a terrible end to this season but also a really bad way to introduce the new Doctor. That is no fault of Colin Baker. He really does do his best and clearly makes the most of the material he has. I get what the intention was with the 6th Doctor, to make him unlikable to start with and then allow him to mellow and become nicer over time. I feel that they made him too unlikable here. Strangling a companion is way too far in my opinion. Thankfully the character isn't this poorly written in the rest of his stories (and Big Finish only makes the 6th Doctor even better).

The rest of the acting is bad as well. Nicola Bryant trys but is still given poor material. The dialogue in this story is atrocious, as are the characters. The villains in this sorry is terrible and not threatening in the slightest.

I'd say the only reason to ever watch this story is to see Colin Baker do his thing. He does try his best (and anyone who can still act and be taken seriously when wearing that costume has to be good at their job). I actually like Colin's outfit but I admit that it isn't the best and can certainly be distracting at times.

Overall- 1/10.

Overall rating for Season 21- 6/10. 

This season started poorly and ended terribly. There are a couple of gems such as The Awakening and Caves, but there are more poor stories than good ones. Davison is as his best in this series, but Colin gets off to a bad start (but that is the fault of the writing).

• Like 1

Attack Of The Cybermen- I'm not a fan of this one to be honest. I don't find it very entertaining.

Colin Baker is great, he is nicer than he was in The Twin Dilemma, but at this point his Doctor is still very rude and blunt, but Colin plays it so well that it really works. Nicola Bryant is once again underused in my opinion. I am really grateful to Big Finish for giving Nicola Bryant the chance to shine that she was so often denied in the tv series. The other supporting characters are uninteresting and unmemorable, except Lytton (the character from Resurrection Of The Daleks). 

The story is so slow and dull I just don't find it enjoyable to watch. It also relies far too much on continuity references. I love when a story remembers previous stories and finds clever ways to neatly tie references into the narrative, but this story relies entirely on these references rather than having an interesting original story. 

The only other positive to this story is the Cybermen themselves. I do have a soft spot for 80s Cybermen and I think they are well written here. 

Overall- 3/10.

Worth a watch for Colin Baker and the Cybermen, but that's all that this story has to offer in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Vengeance On Varos- This is my favourite story from Colin's television run. The acting is great here. Colin shines and Nicola Bryant finally gets a chance to shine. The supporting characters are memorable and well acted. The most memorable by far is Sil, played excellently by Nabil Shaban. 

There is also some social commentary in this story regarding the media and what is shown to the public, which is interesting, and paying to see violent acts performed on television is a dark concept, and the story treats it with the level of maturity such an issue deserves. I would say this story isn't fun, due to the subject matter, but it is very well written, and well worth watching. I find myself coming back to watch this one quite frequently. The cliffhanger is also one of my favourites. 

Overall- 10/10. 

• Like 1

The Mark Of The Rani- Honestly I'm not hugely fond of this story. I love The Rani herself, played excellently by Kate O'Mara. I also like her dynamic with The Master, who is also very good in this story. Colin and Nicola are also great, and the set and costume designs are nice.

Unfortunately those are all the positives I have for this story. The story itself I think isn't that great, and the dialogue isn't very interesting to me personally. I also think this story drags a lot. None of the other characters except the mains are interesting or memorable.

Overall- 3/10.

This might be a controversial one because this story is normally viewed as one of the best of the Colin Baker from what I have seen, but I'm not really a fan of it. I get why people like it, and power to you if you do, but it just doesn't click for me personally. 

Kate O'Mara really deserved better. Her character, and her portrayal of the character are excellent, but both of her stories are ones I dislike. 

Also, I haven't mentioned this regarding any of Colin's stories yet, but I absolutely love the title sequence his stories have. It's so colourful and sounds so good (and it is even improved in Season 23). :D

50 minutes ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

The Mark Of The Rani- Honestly I'm not hugely fond of this story. I love The Rani herself, played excellently by Kate O'Mara. I also like her dynamic with The Master, who is also very good in this story. Colin and Nicola are also great, and the set and costume designs are nice.

Unfortunately those are all the positives I have for this story. The story itself I think isn't that great, and the dialogue isn't very interesting to me personally. I also think this story drags a lot. None of the other characters except the mains are interesting or memorable.

Overall- 3/10.

This might be a controversial one because this story is normally viewed as one of the best of the Colin Baker from what I have seen, but I'm not really a fan of it. I get why people like it, and power to you if you do, but it just doesn't click for me personally. 

Kate O'Mara really deserved better. Her character, and her portrayal of the character are excellent, but both of her stories are ones I dislike. 

Also, I haven't mentioned this regarding any of Colin's stories yet, but I absolutely love the title sequence his stories have. It's so colourful and sounds so good (and it is even improved in Season 23). :D

Be a boring world if we all liked the same thing. :D

I am definitely one of those who think this is one of the best, if not the best, Colin Baker story.

I love the historical setting. Colin and Nicola are hitting their peak in the Doctor/Companion relationship.

The dynamic between The Master and The Rani is brilliant - there was a missed opportunity for a spin off!

The interaction between the three Time Lords makes you believe they have a long history.

The support characters all have a purpose.

However I do agree that Kate O'Mara was let down in her second outing during the Sylvester McCoy era. That really didn't do the character justice.

Overall 9/10. I'm docking a point for Colin's costume. :smile:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peter Capaldi Fan said:

Be a boring world if we all liked the same thing. :D

I am definitely one of those who think this is one of the best, if not the best, Colin Baker story.

I love the historical setting. Colin and Nicola are hitting their peak in the Doctor/Companion relationship.

The dynamic between The Master and The Rani is brilliant - there was a missed opportunity for a spin off!

The interaction between the three Time Lords makes you believe they have a long history.

The support characters all have a purpose.

However I do agree that Kate O'Mara was let down in her second outing during the Sylvester McCoy era. That really didn't do the character justice.

Overall 9/10. I'm docking a point for Colin's costume. :smile:

And here I am admitting that I liked Colin's costume. :lol:

I'm glad that there are people out there who do enjoy the stories I don't personally like, it makes things like this far more interesting to do. I'm grateful to this forum for giving me a place to talk to other Who fans and have civil discussions about the show we love so much (2018 has been a pretty terrible year for the online Who community to put it lightly :(). I certainly agree that the world would be a boring place if everyone had the exact same tastes in everything.

• Like 1