My huge Doctor Who episode marathon.

The Friendly Dalek

Nikola Tesla's Night Of Terror- This is a frustrating one for me. Not because it is terrible, but because there are some brilliant elements which are brought down by some rushed aspects. 

The lead's are good, and Bradley Walsh especially stands out. Goran Visnjic is absolutely fantastic as Tesla. He alone makes this episode worth watching. Edison and Dorothy are also entertaining characters. The relationship between Edison and Tesla could certainly have been explored in more depth. The acting from the whole cast is generally great.

The set design is great, with the historical setting of the early 1900s making for a nice change. The visual effects also tend to be very good. The episode falls apart thanks to it's structure. It is very poorly paced. The train sequence felt like a desperate attempt to throw in some action, but it still managed to be boring.

The biggest negative I have with this episode is the villains. The red-eyed people looked stupid, and the Skithra's design isn't interesting. The queen of the Skithra looks utterly ridiculous. It is clear that a lot of effort went into making the costume, but I just couldn't take it seriously. The Skithra themselves feel far too much like the Racnoss, preventing them from being able to stand out as memorable villains. There's no unique characteristics to them either, they're very basic monsters.

Overall- 5/10.

This is a fairly decent episode. The acting is good, and there are some good characters. The production values are fantastic. The episode is saved by Visnjic's excellent performance, but the issues with the pacing and the poor villains prevent this from being a great episode in my eyes.

Edited by The Friendly Dalek
  • Like 1

Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror - An enjoyable episode but not without it's faults. I like the historical setting. The main cast are good. Robert Glenister and Goran Visnjic are excellent as Edison and Tesla. The production is great.

What principally lets this episode down is the writing. There is very little development in the characters. The pacing is slow. And The Skithra - this alien is too close in appearance to The Empress of Racnoss which is rather distracting.

A middle of the road story.

Overall 5/10

• Like 1

Fugitive Of The Judoon- A highly effective story.  Series 12 is still relatively recent, so I'll give a spoiler warning for this one. 

I'll start with the acting. The acting is good across the board. Jodie has some very good moments, and Yaz for once gets something to do, with her police background coming in useful for a change. Joe Martin is great, both as Ruth and as The Doctor. I'd even go as far as saying she out-acts Jodie in their shared scenes. Her Doctor seems more mature and composed, more in line with 3 or 9 than 13, and it worked brilliantly. 13 seems really over-the-top when placed against a calmer Doctor like this one.

The Judoon themselves are very effective. The episode is well-paced, and the production values are high. The Judoon themselves seem far more expressive here than in their last appearance, evidencing the higher quality of the costumes. This episode is unfortunately lessened by some weak characters, with characters such as Lee and Gat having very little actual characterisation about them. 

The Captain Jack sub-plot is something I'm mixed on. Obviously seeing John Barrowman reprising the role is a joy, and he clearly enjoyed coming back. Sadly, he is reduced to an exposition dump, seemingly only in the episode to serve the larger series arc. This plot also seems like a cheap way of removing all of the companions from the action with the Doctors. As much as I enjoy Ruth's Doctor, there are still aspects that leave major questions, but more on that when we get to the finale. I'm trying to judge all of the series 12 episodes based on the quality of the episode itself, rather than by how the Timeless Children affects them, if that makes sense. I'll praise this episode for how it set up the reveal of the Ruth Doctor, and I'm not going to deduct points from this episode because of how the Timeless Children turned out. Although series 12 as a whole suffers in my eyes from that finale, my thoughts on the individual episodes leading up to it remain relatively unchanged, although knowing what this episode was building up to does hurt it slightly upon rewatch. It's mainly an issue with this episode because this one is so heavily focused on progressing the series arcs.

Overall- 8/10

• Like 1

Fugitive of the Judoon - Now this is far more like it. Possibly my favourite episode of the Chibnall era so far.

The pacing and production are great. On the whole the comedic parts work well within the overall story. The acting from the main cast is good. Jodie does get some strong moments.

The Judoon are utilised well. Better than in previous appearances.

Now onto the two major spoilers......

Return of Captain Jack - It's great to see John Barrowman back. Though as you say it's more of an exposition. Maybe he will return in the future but here his appearance just seems to be shoehorned in for effect.

Jo Martin - Now this proves that with proper characterisation (as opposed to I'm a woman if you hadn't noticed) a female Doctor could work really well. I almost hate to say this but Jo gives more Doctor vibes in one episode than Jodie has in one and a half series. Jo's Doctor definitely has a more mature, darker feel. It's interesting that you felt this was more like 3 or 9. I actually was feeling more 7 or 12 with the performance.

A definite improvement with this episode.

Overall 9/10

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Peter Capaldi Fan said:

Jo Martin - Now this proves that with proper characterisation (as opposed to I'm a woman if you hadn't noticed) a female Doctor could work really well. I almost hate to say this but Jo gives more Doctor vibes in one episode than Jodie has in one and a half series. Jo's Doctor definitely has a more mature, darker feel. It's interesting that you felt this was more like 3 or 9. I actually was feeling more 7 or 12 with the performance.

I always say a female Doctor was never the issue, the issue was making Chibnall the head writer. I want to see the next showrunner with a female Doctor at some point, to prove how anyone can be a good Doctor if the writing is up to par with their potential performance. As you say, somehow Chibnall managed to create a more effective Doctor in 15 minutes with Ruth than he has with Jodie. 7 and 12 could definitely fit in line with that more mature side of the character if we're looking at series 8 12 and season 26 7, if that makes sense. :lol: It's nice to see how people can have such a different view on one character regarding how they'd compare this Doctor to previous ones, shows how different people are able to interpret the Doctor in so many ways.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

I always say a female Doctor was never the issue, the issue was making Chibnall the head writer. I want to see the next showrunner with a female Doctor at some point, to prove how anyone can be a good Doctor if the writing is up to par with their potential performance. As you say, somehow Chibnall managed to create a more effective Doctor in 15 minutes with Ruth than he has with Jodie. 7 and 12 could definitely fit in line with that more mature side of the character if we're looking at series 8 12 and season 26 7, if that makes sense. :lol: It's nice to see how people can have such a different view on one character regarding how they'd compare this Doctor to previous ones, shows how different people are able to interpret the Doctor in so many ways.

Agree with both if you. It's not the Doctor's gender that's the issue, it's the characterisation. Right from the off the accent and almost her first word being "brilliant" as she broke into a big grin just made me go straight to the 10th Doctor, an feeling that I just can't shake to this day. I just see an impression of 10 so it's interesting to see everyone else's spotting of other Doctors in there. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Plenty of other actors have given nods, or even based performances on previous Doctors (Matt Smith openly admitting he couldn't get the hang of the character until Moffat gave him some Troughton DVDs after watching which he got it). The trouble is (and this is just my opinion) I don't think Jodie is that good an actor. I've felt this in other things of hers I've watched. Add this to Chibnall's inability to do characters well and we have the first failure of a Doctor (again, just my opinion). The problem has been every time I try to debate this opinion I am immediately shouted down as a mysogynist, lumped in with the seething trolls that spoil online debate these days. Ruth just hammered home for me what we could have had if a better thought out, better acted Doctor had been created rather than what we got. I just spent the whole rest of the episode (and series) wishing she WAS the Doctor.

• Like 2

It does feel like any time I criticise any aspect of a Chibnall era episode I am immediately called every -ist under the sun. Frrom what I've seen that goes for the majority of Who fans nowadays, always labelling each other nasty things just for having a different opinion on a show.

I won't comment on Jodie overall as an actor because I honestly haven't seen her in enough projects, but she definitely hasn't nailed the role of the Doctor yet in my eyes. That's not to say she won't, or that she doesn't have good moments, but overall she hasn't proven herself to be a good fit for the role. 

• Like 2

One positive you can take from the Chibnall era - it certainly provides for a debate. Fortunately here that debate can be civilised without referring to someone with an -ism. :lol:

I don't think every good actor will make a good Doctor. You can only blame the writing so far. Previous Doctors have had pretty atrocious writing but still manage to give the performance. Now I don't think Jodie is a bad actress. But to me she has never been lead actress material. This is evident when Bradley Walsh manages to out perform her every week and many of the guest stars also do. Then we have the introduction of another female Doctor. I am not familiar with Jo Martin's work. But she also massively out performed Jodie. I agree with Rav. I spent the rest of the series wondering what might have been and wishing it was. As a fan since 1974 this is the first time I personally feel the casting of The Doctor has failed. It is not a gender thing. It is a lack of characterisation and performance thing. However I can appreciate that for some Jodie is their favourite. Just not for me.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Peter Capaldi Fan said:

Fortunately here that debate can be civilised without referring to someone with an -ism. :lol:

Thank goodness.

18 hours ago, Peter Capaldi Fan said:

Jo's Doctor definitely has a more mature, darker feel.

That's such ageism and racism.

Praxeus- A massive step down in quality from Fugitive. I was looking forward to this one, as it was written by Pete McTighe, who wrote my favourite episode of series 11. Sadly this episode doesn't come close to Kerblam.

The biggest mistake this episode makes is including far too many characters. As a result, I didn't relly care about any of them, as none of them had much to them in terms of personality. The acting was fine but the writing just wasn't good enough. By rapidly jumping between locations and characters, there wasn't enough time to become attached to any of them. The TARDIS crew do very little as well, and Jodie once again fails to deliver a good performance.

The pacing of this episode was atrocious. I remember being bored when it aired, and it was even worse this time around. The central mystery wasn't intriguing enough, so I wasn't interested in what was happening. The twist that the Suki character is an alien who wants to find an antidote for herself could have worked had I actually cared about the character before the reveal.

The best thing about this episode is the visuals. It looks fantastic, and Praxeus itself is well realised. That's about as far as my praise will go for this episode.

I was enjoying the fact that we had two episodes in a row with no forced political messaging, but this episode throws us straight back into the typical Chibnall-era politics with the environmental themes. The fact that this was explored just a few episodes earlier may also explain why this falls flat. Much like in Orphan 55, The Doctor overly explains absolutely everything, no subtlety to it whatsoever. Chibnall has a co-writing credit on this episode, and I have no doubts that scenes like this one were what he contributed to it.

I was also annoyed about how The Doctor was able to save Jake. He seemed like he was going to make a noble sacrifice, a note-worthy end to a character who I admittedly wasn't impressed with, but this could have added something to him. Instead, The Doctor saves him at literally the last second. Also, if The Doctor is now able to save people in such a fashion, why couldn't he do it for Adric? The Doctor also seems very un-fazed by the massive reveals of the last episode. She acts like nothing happened for most of this episode, surely those revelations would have done something to her attitude?

Overall- 2/10.

Not quite as bad as Orphan 55, but it comes dangerously close. 

• Like 1

Praxeus - Two of the main problems I have with the Chibnall era are too many characters in one episode and the unsubtle writing. Unfortunately this episode has both.

In a 50 minute episode there is no time to develop any of the characters. The consequence being you don't really care what happens to any of them. 

The pacing is slow to the point of being boring.

The main cast do nothing new.

The "scare" moments are any thing but.

Definitely one of the weaker episodes of Series 12.

Overall 1/10

• Like 1

Can You Hear Me?- After the hideously poor Praxeus, my expectations for this one were low. I am happy to report that this is one of my favourite episodes of the Chibnall era. 

The first third of this episode isn't the best. The Aleppo sequences are dull, and the pacing as a whole is slow. Zellin's first appearances aren't as intimidating as they should be (the ear thing immediately diminished any initial credibility he had in my eyes). Once the story gets to the spaceship, that's where it improves considerably. 

The prison adds some nice mystery, and I liked seeing the Doctor make a mistake in unlocking the prison, something 13 rarely does. This is how a classic villain should be reintroduced. I loved the fact that this episode brought back The Eternals, a race I've always thought have been poorly utilised in the show itself. They're great when they do show up, but they've had far too few appearances. The expanded universe does a lot with the Eternals, but it's nice to see more exploration of in the television episodes. Ian Gelder and Aruhan Galieva are great as the villains. 

I love when the show tries to be unique, and that animated sequence was a great example of that. It's something the show hasn't done before, and delivered exposition in an engaging way, something a lot of Chibnall era episodes fail to do. The Doctor defeats the Eternals a bit too easily for my liking, but it's not too much of an issue.

The acting is surprisingly excellent all around. All of the leads give good performances, and the supporting cast are effectively utilised. The writing is far superior to most episodes of this era, it made a nice change to have a script which wasn't annoyingly weak or pandering. 

That brings me onto the theme of the week- mental health. This episode treats it's messages properly. This is handled with far more respect and subtlety than the environmental messages given in Praxeus etc. Yaz finally gets an effective story, and I loved it. As someone who has struggled with mental health issues myself in the past, this episode definitely spoke to me. The only issue I have is the scene in which The Doctor interacts with Graham. Cancer is not a joke, but the way the Doctor shrugs off Graham's concerns seems like it was played as a comedic moment to me. It was way off character in my eyes. It started as a heartfelt moment, with Graham admitting his fears and looking for support. The Doctor always tries to help, even if it doesn't work exactly as they intended. I don't see any other incarnation reacting like this, and completely disregarding it, thus ruining the scene and any emotion it was evoking. The contrast between the excellent Yaz arc and this scene is quite sad to see. If it wasn't for this one scene, this portion of the episode would be flawless.

Overall- 8/10. 

This is a flawed episode. The pacing is off at times, and the villains are defeated too easily. However, for me, the pros far outweigh the cons with this episode. The script is good, the acting is great and the Eternals are effectively utilised. The theme of mental health is explored with care (for the most part), and that's something Doctor Who has been missing for a while. The stories have always had messages like these, the difference comes from how effectively they were crafted into the story at hand. This episodes succeeds in my eyes where many other Chibnall era episodes fail. This was my first tie watching this episode since it aired, and I'm happy that it still works for me as well as it did on that first watch. 

• Like 1

Can You Hear Me? - A vast improvement on the previous episode. This does get off to a slow start but improves through the episode. This does affect the overall pacing of the episode which is a bit up and down. The production is excellent.

The writing on the whole is very good. The main issue I have is the same scene as you highlighted. I'll cover that later. I do wonder if this episode suffers from the Chibnall effect. I guess we'll never know how much is the original by Charlene James.

The main cast all perform well. It's great to see some character development with a back story for Yaz and Ryan. And it's great to actually see the companions querying the impact of traveling with the Doctor.

Of the support cast the stand out performances are Ian Gelder as Zellin and Aruhan Galieva as Tahira. The Eternals are well utilised. An enjoyable throw back to Classic Who with the mention of The Celestial Toymaker and The Guardians. This is always nice to see.

The mental health issues are certainly dealt with in a responsible way. This is always a difficult area to cover in a dramatic way but still be respectful and give your message in a subtle way. This episode did very well in this. It's fantastic to know that for someone like yourself who has had to deal with your own mental health issues that you felt this episode spoke to you in a positive way. If people are taking away even an improved understanding then that can only be a good thing.

And so to 'that' scene between The Doctor and Graham. I can see where this was supposed to be going. But for me this again demonstrates a lack of understanding of the character of The Doctor by Chibnall and Whittaker. The response to Graham's fears is almost too human - not knowing quite what to say. Now The Doctor may be an alien and may get things wrong when understanding humans (sometimes with comedic effect) but (s)he is never at a loss for words. Here was a perfect (missed) opportunity to give Jodie's Doctor a memorable speech regarding fear, friendship and mortality. But instead she comes across as dismissive. Never be cruel....... didn't work here!

Overall 8/10

• Like 1

The Haunting Of Villa Diodati- This is my favourite episode of the Chibnall era so far. 

The acting is excellent across the board. Jodie finally gets some great stuff to work with, and in my eyes she proves she could be a good Doctor if the writing was always this good. The pacing is excellent, the set design is fantastic, and the editing is good. Maxine Alderton did a brilliant job with the script. On a technical level, I have no issues with this one. 

This episode's greatest strength is Ashad, played fantastically by Patrick O'Kane. This is the most chilling a Cyberman has been since the original Mondasian Cybermen in my opinion. I was captivated by him every second he was on screen. The most interesting Cyberman in recent years was one which still had emotion, which is somewhat ironic. This episode introduces something completely new for the Cybermen, and that's probably why it is so much more effective than the boring robots we've had over their last few appearances. 

The last 15 minutes of this episode are some of the best Doctor Who content that this era has given us. I love seeing a Doctor who is scared and aggressive, unsure of what to do. It's a great contrast to 13's usually hugely optimistic self. I also love to see The Doctor lose, and this episode provides an interesting moral dilemma for The Doctor- let one person die or save them and risk millions more lives. It brings depth which is missing from a lot of episodes in this series. 

Overall- 10/10.

This is something I wasn't expecting from Chibnall's era. My first 10 rating. I do think this episode deserves it though. Every aspect works fantastically, it was one of the few I was looking forward to rewatching and it was even better this time around. The characterisation of Byron lets it down ever so slightly, but not enough to lose it a point. 

• Like 1

The Haunting of Villa Diodati - I completely agree with you. This is a brilliant episode and one of the strongest of the Chibnall era. Oh to have more of this standard. Maxine Alderton proves herself to be an accomplished writer. This is a fantastic ghost story with a good mix of horror and historical. 

The pacing and production are spot on. The main cast are given the chance to shine especially Jodie. For me this is the most Doctor like she has managed to be. It's interesting to see her Doctor with a true dilemma.

The support cast are all given good material to work with. Special mention to Patrick O'Kane who gives a creepy performance as Ashad.

As a big fan of the story of Frankenstein this does the origins justice. 

Overall 9/10

• Like 1

Ascension Of The Cybermen- And so it begins, the last official (two part) story of the marathon. Sadly, it doesn't come close to the quality of the previous episode.

The story gets off to a weak start. It lost all tension when the ridiculous flying Cyber-heads attack the humans. Remember how I said that Ashad was interesting because they did something unique with him? Well, the rest of the Cybermen don't get such treatment. Instead they are basically mindless drones which only exist to serve Ashad. If the human characters around the Cybermen were interesting, I might have forgiven it, however, in the case of this story we don't get interesting characters. None of them stand out as memorable. Some of them were actually rather annoying. When they died, I felt nothing. Considering these are supposed to be the last humans in the universe, I should definitely care more about them than I do. The episode as a whole was dull, the action scenes were never impactful and the pacing was terrible. 

Surprisingly, I was more interested in the Ireland story than I was in the future-set story. When a side plot is more interesting than the main narrative, you know something's wrong. These characters were more likeable than the ones who were supposed to carry the main emotional weight of the episode. I was waiting for the episode to cut back to these scenes, because I was enjoying them so much more than the main story. 

The acting is a mixed bag. The leads are good, and Patrick O'Kane steals the show once again. Beyond them, none of the supporting cast give interesting performances. I still couldn't name half of them because they just aren't well written or acted. The finale scenes of this episode are good, seeing the Cybermen reawaken was nice and the cliffhanger is great.

Overall- 3/10.

The Ireland sub plot saves an otherwise dull Cyberman story which brings nothing new to the table, and is filled with boring supporting characters. The episode as a whole looks great, but that can only carry an episode so far. The last few scenes are good, but that doesn't make up for the weak 40 minutes that precede them. 

The Timeless Children- And here we are. The end of the marathon. And what a way to end it. 

I'll make this clear right away. I do not like this episode. At all. 

Let's start where we always start- the acting. It's fine. Only one person gives a standout performance, and that is Sacha Dhawan. He absolutely saves this episode, he is the only part of it that is great. The episode looks good, I'll give it that. That's about as far as my positives go.

The b-plot with the companions and the Cybermen is just as dull as it was in the last episode, I didn't care about it at all. The main plot was equally as uninteresting. Half of the episode is just The Master dumping exposition on us. The Cyber-Time Lords are some of the stupidest things I have ever seen in this show, and this is a show with a lot of dumb things in it. My favourite part of Ascension was the Ireland sub plot with Brendan. It's a shame that this was the story it was building up to. The pacing is dreadful, and the supporting characters get next to no development whatsoever. The ending of the episode is far too easy, they basically just bomb Gallifrey and that's it. 

Those are just scratching the surface of the problems with this episode. It disregards set ups from previous episodes, and raises far more questions than it answers. Why does the portal to Gallifrey exist? How does a death particle come to exist? Are there more of them, and how did Ashad get one? Speaking of Ashad, his death was laughable. Imagine setting up a character like that as a huge threat and then giving him an abysmally weak death. 

Why does the Division exist? I guess Chibnall just forgot about the Celestial Intervention Agency, which serves an almost identical purpose. I don't recall Shobogans ever being the first indigenous people of Gallifrey, rather than being just a splinter group of Gallifreyans who chose to live outside of the Citadel. Remember when Rassilon was the one hailed as the first Time Lord and founder of Time Lord society, along with other figures like Omega? Well, Tecteun is more important to Gallifrey's founding now than they are. Are the Pythia still relevant in Gallifrey's history? Their rule doesn't get any mention. Remember how saving Gallifrey was a key part of the 50th anniversary special? A momentous moment in Doctor Who history? Well we can disregard the success of that because Gallifrey has already been destroyed again. 

Note how I haven't even got to The Doctor yet. This episode raises so many questions about what can and can no longer be considered canon in terms of the history of Gallifrey and the Time Lords. Not even The Doctor was safe from this.

I hate the Timeless Child revelation. It fundamentally changes one of the core things that makes the character special- the fact that they aren't. The Doctor is special because they choose to help where they can, they're special because they're good, and that is a choice The Doctor makes. This reveal disregards that. Now The Doctor is essentially a god-like figure, who is at least partially responsible for the creation of Time Lord Society. How can there ever be stakes, since The Doctor now has a seemingly unlimited pool of regenerations? There's no clear rules now, because we no longer know what The Doctor is. What species are they? Where did they come from? I don't know, and this episode doesn't shed any light on it. This raises even more plot holes. Why did Ruth have a police box TARDIS if she is pre-Hartnell? Why does she call herself The Doctor? Is this episode seriously trying to tell me that the pre-Hartnell Doctors chose that name, and then after their mind wipe, the Hartnell Doctor managed to chose the exact same name his previous lives did?  It also disrespects the legacy of the Hartnell Doctor, as he clearly isn't the first any more in any sense. He wasn't the first to take up the name Doctor. He'd already been doing it for years. Other Time Lords clearly knew of the pre-Hartnell Doctors, such as the one we see in Fugitive, so was there just a mass conspiracy on Gallifrey to make sure no one allowed the Doctor to know of their previous lives? Who are the Doctor's parents that we saw in previous episodes?  

Sorry for the rant, but I have to make my feelings on this episode known. It is a boring mess to watch, and the reveals absolutely crush what I love about this show. Why did I bother trying to read about the expansive history of Gallifrey and the Time Lords now that all of it is worthless? This is the problem with canon. In my eyes, a show that goes on for this long is bound to contradict itself at some point. However, there are core things that should never be tampered with. Other better writers managed to create an entire history for the Time Lords in books and other mediums, and most of it makes a cohesive whole. Now, the actions of one makes it all pointless to try and learn because very little of it matters anymore. I now understand how Star Wars fans felt when Disney disregarded all of the expanded universe as non canon. Why bother trying to follow a show for years, and try to learn as much about it's universe as you can, when the show itself is just going to pull the rug out from under you and make all that time you invested pointless?

Overall- 1/10.

This episode gets worse and worse the more I think about it. I never want to watch it again, and honestly it has killed my anticipation for series 13. 

• Like 1

After nearly two years, the marathon is finally complete. :lol:

I did really badly with this. It shouldn't have taken me this long, but at last I've made it to the end. It's a shame it had to end on such a dour note though. Now my written thoughts on every single televised episode are archived in this forum for all to see. 

Thank you to everyone who read this thread, and thank you to those who also contributed. Your input made this much more fun to do. 

• Like 1

Congratulations on making it to the end. A great journal of your opinion of every Who episode ever which has been great to read and occasionally debate you with. Last time I did an in order watch through I started in 2009 and got up to date in October 2013 just before Day of the Doctor aired which was pretty serendipitous timing. I keep meaning to do it again but now it's becoming more obvious that they are going to animate every missing episode eventually I want to wait until I can do it without recons or audios. Then I have to hope I live long enough to do it :lol:

Edited by Ravogd
Got my end date wrong
  • Like 1