My huge Doctor Who episode marathon.

The Friendly Dalek

The Sontaran Experiment- A pretty decent two part story.

The supporting characters aren't really anything special. The regulars are good, and the dialogue is ok.

The main reason to watch this story is for the villain. This proves again that Sontarans are more effective when you just see what one of them is capable of doing (Dalek is another story which perfectly illustrates this idea). Styre is a brilliant villain.

As it is very short, this story moves along just fine, and the pacing is never an issue.

Overall- 6/10.

• Like 1

Genesis Of The Daleks- Where to begin with this one?

It is one of the greatest Doctor Who stories of all time without doubt in my mind. Everything is perfect. 

I've seen some reviews of this story where people complain about the lack of Daleks. Personally I don't think this is an issue at all. This is Davros's story. Michael Wisher plays the character perfectly. The supporting characters like Nyder also contribute to making this a fantastic story. All the characters are well written and well acted. I think that the pacing is just right, and I don't mind a slow burn as long as the characters and dialogue are as interesting as what is on display here.

The regulars are brilliant as well. This is one of Tom Baker's best, and his speech in Episode 6 is one of the greatest scenes in the entirety of the show's history in my opinion. 

Overall- 10/10.

• Like 1

GOTD has a brilliant story and the introduction of Davros is a master-stroke. Michael Wisher's performance has never been bettered.

Doctor Who at the peak of it's powers.

"Watch out for that giant clam Harry!"

• Like 1

OMG I go away for a few days to a Star Trek Con and you're now into the Tom Baker era! I can't keep up with you. Where do you get the time to watch these! I now have SO much to type but it is late and I have 3 servers to repair tomorrow so I can't get to it yet, but I will tease one thing and it is my controversial and unpopular dislike of GOTD. Watch this space and get prepared to throw rotten fruit in my direction :P

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

OMG I go away for a few days to a Star Trek Con and you're now into the Tom Baker era! I can't keep up with you. Where do you get the time to watch these! I now have SO much to type but it is late and I have 3 servers to repair tomorrow so I can't get to it yet, but I will tease one thing and it is my controversial and unpopular dislike of GOTD. Watch this space and get prepared to throw rotten fruit in my direction :P

I don't really do anything in my spare time lol. I go to my place of education, come home and put on a Doctor Who. :lol:

Also, it'll be interesting to know your reasons as to why you dislike it. I'm looking forward to reading what you say, not dreading it. :D

Edited by The Friendly Dalek

Revenge Of The Cybermen- A pretty underwhelming return for the Cybermen considering the length of time since their last appearance. 

Episode 1 is very good and has some pretty good atmosphere. The supporting characters are ok, and the dialogue is fine. The cave locations in the other episodes are nice though. The regulars are good as well.

The Cybermen themselves are a pretty large issue. Their appearance is fine, and the voices are alright. The issue is the dialogue. They just seem far too emotive for Cybermen. 

The story is a bit bland and forgettable, and although the supporting characters do their job just fine, none of them are really interesting or memorable. 

Overall- 5/10.

Overall rating for Season 12- 8/10.

This story boasts two of the greatest Doctor Who stories ever made, and some other rather strong ones. Sadly it is ruined at the end though.

Terror Of The Zygons- Another fantastic story. The story itself is good, and the characters are great. The Socttish location adds some good atmosphere and interesting set design. The dialogue and acting are brilliant.

The Zygons themselves look great, and in my eyes somehow look far better here than they ever have in the modern series. They are creepy here, and they never have been in the modern era in my opinion. 

The Skarasken isn't an issue for me. It's no worse than any other big monster in this show. I have no problem with the poor effects for it.

Overall- 10/10.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:53 PM, The Friendly Dalek said:

Revenge Of The Cybermen- A pretty underwhelming return for the Cybermen considering the length of time since their last appearance. 

Episode 1 is very good and has some pretty good atmosphere. The supporting characters are ok, and the dialogue is fine. The cave locations in the other episodes are nice though. The regulars are good as well.

The Cybermen themselves are a pretty large issue. Their appearance is fine, and the voices are alright. The issue is the dialogue. They just seem far too emotive for Cybermen. 

The story is a bit bland and forgettable, and although the supporting characters do their job just fine, none of them are really interesting or memorable. 

Overall- 5/10.

Overall rating for Season 12- 8/10.

This story boasts two of the greatest Doctor Who stories ever made, and some other rather strong ones. Sadly it is ruined at the end though.

71qz5w.jpg

"In 1974 you couldn't move down here for Cybermen..."

Edited by Bumper8
Photo link wouldn't work

Planet Of Evil- This is certainly underrated. I never hear anyone talk about this story. 

I like the characters and the story itself is a unique and interesting one. The sets look great as well. The acting and dialogue are also good for the most part. There is a good atmosphere present in this story, which heightens the tension and makes the story more intriguing in my opinion.

Overall- 8/10.

• Like 1

I watched Forbidden Planet recently and this story draws heavily on this. Very atmospheric and unsettling- you do get that feeling that this is a place so far away from home.

As you say, they spent a bit on the "jungle" set and it looks good.

I only have c. 30 Doctor Who dvds and this is one of them as I had vivid memories of being scared by this story as a kid.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bumper8 said:

I watched Forbidden Planet recently and this story draws heavily on this. Very atmospheric and unsettling- you do get that feeling that this is a place so far away from home.

Would you believe that I haven't actually watched that yet? I really need to get around to seeing it at some point. :D

3 hours ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

Would you believe that I haven't actually watched that yet? I really need to get around to seeing it at some point. :D

Get it watched-you can thank me later :coolthumb:

• Like 1

The Pyramids Of Mars- Another controversial opinion. I think this is a good story but certainly not one of the best ever.

Tom Baker and Elizabeth Sladen are brilliant, but I'm not a fan of the other supporting characters to be honest. Gabriel Woolf is fantastic as Sutekh, and that character is easily the best thing about this story. He has such a huge and menacing presence, and even when trapped in one spot you never feel like he isn't a huge threat. 

The mummies are ok, but I don't think they are scary. The story itself is a decent one. However I do find it a little slow.

Overall- 8/10.

A very good story idea but it drag a bit for me. It's always nice to see Michael Sheard though. I actually did like the "mummy" design of the robots but I agree they weren't particularly scary.

• Like 1

The Android Invasion- This is another which is perfectly fine, but that's about it really. The regulars are good, and the supporting characters do their job but aren't particularly memorable.

There is some good atmosphere and tension to begin with, but sadly the title completely spoils any mystery. The villains are rather bland and generic to be honest, but visually they are ok.

This is enjoyable enough to watch but there isn't anything that makes it stand out, thus making it rather forgettable. 

Overall- 6/10.

The Brain Of Morbius- Another very good story. The visuals are great, everything from the set and costume design to Morbius himself look fantastic. Philip Madoc is wonderful here. The Sisterhood Of Karn are a great addition to the Whoniverse, and I love how their role has been expanded upon over time. 

There is a peetty dark tone and atmosphere in this which I really like. Tom Baker and Elizabeth Sladen are also great. Writing about it now I can't actually think of any negatives. :lol:

Overall- 10/10 

And tomorrow is one of my favourite Doctor Who stories ever. I loved today's story, but it isn't as great as the next one in my opinion. :thumbup:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

Well, that one is still utterly brilliant, it's just that I personally like today's one even more. Hopefully that makes sense :D

Well the science behind your reasoning is a tad flimsy, but that fits with Dr Who so I'll allow it.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

As I said in my review, there isn't anything really memorable about The Android Invasion. Morbius is great. :D

I couldn't even be bothered googling the Android Invasion :-D

The Seeds Of Doom- I think it worked out really well that this was the story I got to watch on Halloween. This is one of the very best that the show has ever produced. 

The characters are brilliant. John Challis really stands out as Scorby, his performance combined with the fantastic dialogue makes for an incredibly memorable character. The other supporting characters are also well written and well acted. Tom Baker and Elizabeth Sladen are great here as well.

The story is very interesting and doesn't drag at all over 6 episodes. The Krynoids are great monsters, and the body horror brought by them leads to some of the most horrific imagery the show has ever created in my opinion. Keeler's slow transformation is horrible to watch. Very well acted and the practical effects are brilliant. The final giant Krynoid looks very good for the time and I think it is still effective. 

Flawless.

Overall- 10/10. 

Overall rating for Season 13- 9/10. 

There are some incredibly good stories in this season. None of them are bad, there's just one which is rather forgettable. 

• Like 1