My huge Doctor Who episode marathon.

The Friendly Dalek

Starting today, I will be watching every single Doctor Who episode in order. I've seen all of them at least once at some point, but I've never gone through the entire show like this before. I will watch one or two episodes a day, and I will write mini reviews in here. I'm hoping other DW fans here will get involved in discussing the episodes, and maybe give their own reviews. After each season I will also give an overall rating for that season. 

I'm pretty sure the next LFCC will be here before I've finished. :D

Edited by The Friendly Dalek

27 minutes ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

I'm hoping other DW fans here will get involved in discussing the episodes

Good luck with me for this, I've barely watched the classic series'! :lol: Have around 95% of the classic series sitting waiting to be watched, but we haven't gotten round to watching them yet. :(

3 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

Good luck with me for this, I've barely watched the classic series'! :lol: Have around 95% of the classic series sitting waiting to be watched, but we haven't gotten round to watching them yet. :(

Now will be a good time to start ;)

Eventually I will get to modern Who so I imagine more people will get involved then.:D

8 minutes ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

Now will be a good time to start ;)

Our problem is getting round to it. lol Watched a few a couple years ago but just haven't gotten round to the rest we're trying to catch up with everything else we want to watch! :lol:

1 minute ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

Fair enough :D

The only thing I remember for sure is that the movie isn't as bad as everyone says it is! lol Had caught it on Netflix before it was taken off ahead of meeting Paul 4 years ago and I liked it. ^_^

An Unearthly Child- Part 1 is basically perfect, and a wonderful introduction to the show. Sadly, the story slows down significantly once the second part begins, and I found it to be rather dull for the remainder of the story. The main Tardis crew all shine here, especially Hartnell, who is endearing yet arrogant. It is fascinating to see the Doctor at this stage, as he is a very different character to what he eventually becomes. The other non-regular characters, however, are completely forgettable. 

Overall score- 7/10.

The Daleks- I love this one. The regulars are all great, and there are some memorable supporting characters who put in good performances. I believe that the black and white actually helps make the Daleks creepier, and they are brilliant in this story. The jungle scenes are wonderfully atmospheric. The pacing slows dramatically around the middle, as this is a very long story, and unfortunately that really does the episode down if you are like me and prefer to watch a story all in one sitting.

Overall- 9/10

Definitely me. I have done this twice before and my advice to you is to take it slow. No matter how much of a huge fan you are a lot of early who was not made to be binged and it can begin to drag and spoil your enjoyment if you do too much. Also make sure your recons are the best ones you can get (assuming you are doing those and not just listening to the CD’s). I rushed it the first time but the next time I did one episode a day every day and loved it. Trouble is it took me literally YEARS. to finish. I think last time I did it I started in 2008 and managed to get caught up with the current run just in time to watch the 50th anniversary special which was lucky. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

Definitely me. I have done this twice before and my advice to you is to take it slow. No matter how much of a huge fan you are a lot of early who was not made to be binged and it can begin to drag and spoil your enjoyment if you do too much. Also make sure your recons are the best ones you can get (assuming you are doing those and not just listening to the CD’s). I rushed it the first time but the next time I did one episode a day every day and loved it. Trouble is it took me literally YEARS. to finish. I think last time I did it I started in 2008 and managed to get caught up with the current run just in time to watch the 50th anniversary special which was lucky. 

I'm doing it on a basis of one story per day. Also, I will just be listening to the cds for the missing stories. I shall be sticking to this plan, but your advice is much appreciated :thumbup:

• Like 1

The Edge of Destruction- A very dull, boring and slow story in which almost nothing happens. However, there are a few good moments of tension and psychological intrigue, but that's about all this has to offer. It is well acted though, but the story just doesn't have enough to keep me interested. 

Overall- 5/10.

21 hours ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

The Edge of Destruction- A very dull, boring and slow story in which almost nothing happens. However, there are a few good moments of tension and psychological intrigue, but that's about all this has to offer. It is well acted though, but the story just doesn't have enough to keep me interested. 

Overall- 5/10.

Oh I disagree. I think it’s perfect. The atmosphere of the story is incredible being set only in a Tardis that’s superbly lit. The tension is brilliant and gets accelerated at the perfect pace with only 2 episodes. Also the premise is very brave for only the 3rd story. Just as you’ve gotten used to this “crew” the distrust that creeps in between them is unexpected but when you think about it makes perfect sense. It’s classic conclusion jumping. New people arrive, something goes wrong that wasn’t happening before they arrived, it must have been them! Susan with the scissors is maybe a bit brutal (and I’m surprised it was kept in in 1964, UKgold even removed it from their early evening transmissions in the early 90’s). The resolution is brilliant too and very clever. Special nod to the healing indicator bandage.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

Oh I disagree. I think it’s perfect. The atmosphere of the story is incredible being set only in a Tardis that’s superbly lit. The tension is brilliant and gets accelerated at the perfect pace with only 2 episodes. Also the premise is very brave for only the 3rd story. Just as you’ve gotten used to this “crew” the distrust that creeps in between them is unexpected but when you think about it makes perfect sense. It’s classic conclusion jumping. New people arrive, something goes wrong that wasn’t happening before they arrived, it must have been them! Susan with the scissors is maybe a bit brutal (and I’m surprised it was kept in in 1964, UKgold even removed it from their early evening transmissions in the early 90’s). The resolution is brilliant too and very clever. Special nod to the healing indicator bandage.

This is what I was hoping for with this thread, to start debate regarding the quality of stories, and we clearly think very differently about this one.:D

But as long as people explain their reasons as to why they agree/disagree it makes it much more fun and interesting to read their opinions on a story.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

I’ll certainly try to get more involved. I may even watch some as you go along. I’m still ploughing through the season 12 blu-ray box set right now though.

I'm trying to get that box set but I can't find it anywhere cheap enough for me. I'm sure I will add it to my collection eventually though. :D

The only Doctor Who blu rays that I know I will most likely never get are the Series 9 steelbook and the steelbooks for the Peter Cushing movies. I am looking out for them but I never seem to have money when I can find them. :( But I'm sure I will mange to find them at some point.

1 minute ago, R4wly97 said:

@The Friendly Dalek Good luck on your marathon I will be sure to check back regularly to see how you’re doing :thumbup:

I recently got the Series 9 steel book so if you want I will look out for one because I still get notifications when one is posted on eBay, I got mine from Amazon though :D

Thank you. :D

If you could notify me on that it would be much appreciated, and I do also look regularly on eBay and Amazon as well for them anyway.:lol:

• Like 1

Just now, R4wly97 said:

Thanks, although I sadly don't have enough money for one yet.

1 hour ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

Thanks, although I sadly don't have enough money for one yet.

That’s ok this is the link for the Peter Cushing steelbook you want as well :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Daleks-Invasion-D-Limited-Steelbook/dp/B00UNK985U/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1534089405&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=doctor+who+series+9+steelbook&dpPl=1&dpID=512xcWcOgRL&ref=plSrch

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

They really aren’t worth it. I don’t see the need for “limited editions.” They are rarely worth anything other than selling for inflated prices on eBay.

I collect movies as a hobby, so limited edition blu rays and steelbooks are compeltely worth it for me, as I love having them in my collection. I have quite a few steelbooks already, including some Doctor Who ones.

Marco Polo- I had to listen to this in 2 episode segments throughout today. I don't know why, but I find this story to be rather boring. The acting is very good (at least on audio) and the characters are well-written, but I still find it dull. Story wise, this is one of the strongest in the show yet, and the fact that it takes place over several months adds realism and believability to the story.

Overall- 7/10