Autographs still wet.

My Julian Glover auto was still a bit damp when I put it in the auto holder, despite me having fanned it for a while beforehand to dry it.  I didn't notice until I got it home and went to take it out to scan it in.  The others were fine.  As far as I know, everyone was using Sharpies, so perhaps I was a little premature.  Never heard of an auto staying wet this long, though.

48 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

was it on one of the show provided 8x10's or something you had printed?

I was going to ask the same thing. There are known issues with some types of printer paper and sharpies, to do with ink interactions between the printer ink and the carrier for the sharpie ink. 

I havens found a specific list of paper brands / types, just mention of 'cheaper brands' and inkjet specific paper. 

14 hours ago, Raylenth said:

was it on one of the show provided 8x10's or something you had printed?

It was on one I brought with me to the show - it seems the glossy photo doesn't match the gold sharpie. Even now it is still wet - not sure if there is anything that can be done but its a lot of money to go down the pan.

12 minutes ago, homerj said:

It was on one I brought with me to the show - it seems the glossy photo doesn't match the gold sharpie. Even now it is still wet - not sure if there is anything that can be done but its a lot of money to go down the pan.

Frame it with a mount and it should be ok s it won't be touching the glass, but yes, home printed doesn't react well supposedly.  The pre orders have refused to accept them this year or that very reason

The modern sharpie paint pens are really good. We use some (very) expensive ones and even writing on the clear plastic of funko pop boxes they dry within seconds so I’m not sure why it would take so long to dry on a normal print. The reason some guests have paint pens and others don’t is nothing to do with Showmasters. They are almost always because people have accidentally forgotten to ask for them back. Guests do love using them and if someone leaves one behind a lot will keep using it. Almost every guest I gave a pen to over the weekend commented how easy to write with it was and how much they liked them.

As for the OP could some sort of fixing spray not be put over the picture or would that not work?

Edited by Ravogd
Spelling, again!

That's just reminded me I went out and bought a can of it when I got home on Friday as I thought my Badley auto on my shiny Mr Men book looked like it was splitting a bit and gave it a quick spray.  Seems to be fine but I think it was dry anyway and I was being a tad paranoid about it (the sig is definitely a little dodgy so it may have just been that pen)

The photos supplied at the shows are thermal printed not inkjet printed and are printed on Lustre finish Archival paper the inks from sharpie dry to the touch normally in 30 seconds, photos printed using inkjet on gloss dont have a good adhersion with sharpie inks the only way youll protect it is to get some photo spray varnish and seal the photo. Any photo I bring with me to shows to get signed I always make sure I print on Lustre or Smooth Pearl type paper. Expensive but long term worth it.

3 hours ago, Queen_Sindel said:

I remember someone pisting hairspray would work. But I never tried myself.

I've done it myself for a couple years, and it works fine.

Whatever pen Garrick Hagon used on a photo recently, stayed tacky for days, so I gave that a spray and it's fine now.

Edited by AndyDrums