LFCC 2018: Highs and Lows

4 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

You have made your suggestion, they have said repeatedly they won't pre sell auto's.

"It doesn't work." Statement straight from TooTall after they tried with Jeri Ryan some years ago.

They actually did try, it's really not just idle talk.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Queen_Sindel said:

"It doesn't work." Statement straight from TooTall after they tried with Jeri Ryan some years ago.

They actually did try, it's really not just idle talk.

Actually QS it could work on the basis that a DP could be sold with the photoshoot already punched out - I am not bothered about most photoshoots which means many DPs are a gross over spend for the autograph. I only got 1 big Doctor out of 4 over the weekend because of DP exclusivity despite having a GP and getting VQ tickets for them all within the first 30.

SM still get to charge a premium for the guarantee - which is more than they do for the photoshoot sale for a DP guest when the buyer isn't purchasing an autograph.

1 hour ago, gk1964 said:

Actually QS it could work on the basis that a DP could be sold with the photoshoot already punched out - I am not bothered about most photoshoots which means many DPs are a gross over spend for the autograph. I only got 1 big Doctor out of 4 over the weekend because of DP exclusivity despite having a GP and getting VQ tickets for them all within the first 30.

SM still get to charge a premium for the guarantee - which is more than they do for the photoshoot sale for a DP guest when the buyer isn't purchasing an autograph.

Sorry, but no one of us has such direct insights as TooTall. If he tells me "it does not work" then really, I have no reason to question him and I won't. It's his area and he knows what he is doing. Neither he nor SM are under any Obligation to divulge Details to us.

Can't believe it's now been a week and already booked a hotel for next year's (if I do go).

I just want to say thanks to Showmasters for organising  another great event!

The lows:

The queue layout for Friday and Saturday resulting in "tape-jumping" but this was sorted by Sunday

Some photoshoots/talks starting late or not well-organised but got there in the end

Outside queue going the same direction in 2016 when it was the opposite direction last year

Guest area overcrowded

Most trader tables same as last year's, and not much tables selling imported food as previous years

Comic Zone talks not put on the schedule or not stated how long they went for - I'd have liked to go to one but it could have clashed with a photoshoot

Some traders not at their tables (potential thefts or taking stock and leaving money), or not fully stocked at the beginning

The event going too quickly

The highs:

9 Doctors attending the event over the weekend and got to meet them all

Meeting Peter Capaldi. He was very nice and friendly.

Designated rest areas

Crew members I spoke to being professional and helpful

No runners at the start (did not hear any shouts of "No running")

Queue lanes narrower thus reducing mass crowds getting into the venue

Getting to see many of the Diamond level guests that I wasn't fussed about

Walking past Christopher Eccleston while on my way to my morning photoshoots

In summary, I had a fantastic time! I have now managed to meet all the surviving male Doctors, as well as John Hurt, and only have Jodie Whittaker left to meet.

Thanks once again Showmasters for an excellent event!

My Highs:

I was only one day for few hours, but it was amazing experience.

Guests - I just had few autographs and ALL the guests were just simply amazing. I had long chat with Aly Michalka about her band and other stuff. She was beyond nice. Rahul Kohli when asked "are you having fun?" replied " I am, but the most important thing is are YOU having fun?" plus nice talk about NSYNC. Jewel Staite took the time to talk to everyone and she was super nice. Roce cIver was a pleasant experience. She noticed my pounamu and we had a nice chat about New Zealand.

Some of the crew. - I think his name was Ben, he was by the D photoshoot on Saturday. I couldn't stay all day and I had so many clashes and he let me go with the Diamonds for Tom Welling and super early for Jewel Staite. When I said I'm forever grateful he just said to make sure I am having fun and that's the best thank you. And the girl who was managing Rahul's VQ as in the morning he didn't have VQ and afternoon the number was almost 600 and she let me go without it as I  had to leave soon after.

Jason Momoa saying hi to me

Lows

lack of air con or rather proper air con. - I was sweating like crazy. All the guests were sweaty and unfortunately it shows in the pictures with shiny faces. 

some of the crew. - Some lady, I know she was just doing her job, didn't let anyone join Jewel's queue because sh had to control the amount of people. The queue was a mess, someone who was behind me got the auto 15 minutes earlier than me as she jumped the queue, Also some people were joining and she was banning me from joining despite other lady saying it's ok for me to join.

Queues - they were a mess at some point I didn't know which wueue was for which guest. 

Announcing David Tennant - this was a low blow IMO. Even if he had to cancel it would've been nicer to have him announced much earlier. I was broke by the end of the day when SM announced him and thanks to that I missed out on this opportunity. So not very nice. 

Security - why bother with the bag checks whn they have 5 second look and are letting you go? After I left to go to the shop and came back they didn't even bother with checking any of the bags. 

No photos - I mean come on! I totally don't understand the No photos policy. I get that the posed pics are stopping the queues and they can be banned, but the guests are celebrities, having security chasing you down just because you dared to take a pic was a low blow. I mean it's just a pic and this year the security was very rude about it. Sometimes people can't do photoshoots and just having a quick snap at the table is amazing. I personally don't take pics of celebrities signing stuff, I prefer to be in the pic with them, but still don't get it and it was just strange. 

Edited by RoryMcGarrett

Well, now a week has passed and more perspective helps to put high's and low's.

High:

So lovely to meet all the guests. I had a long and very pleasant chat with Sean Young, Amber Rose Revah, Mike Quinn, Julian Glover, Ellie Kendrick, Helen Atkinson Wood and the Allo Allo gang, relaxed and talked about everything..personally I prefer not to talk so much about shop and just get to know the person more instead. I had quick but great chat with Tony Robinson (about Time Team of course..had a big big smile after..did I say big?!..huge!). Emily Carey was so funny and we talked about Tomb Raider. All my photo ops went fine except one, I will return to that in my "low" section. I got all the autos I planned for and a big number extra, I usually do that when I got time. No stress and plenty of time. SM got a crewe with the biggest patience I have ever seen on a Con.

Low:

Well, Friday was the warmest day at the Con, Saturday and Sunday was ok, so not a big complaint there and I know it is an Olympia issue. The AM waiting for Aidan Turner photo op (due to delayed in traffic I heard) messed up my schedule on Sunday but I sorted it out pretty quick afterwards. Not many more lows I can not think of. I noticed that when there were several 5 minutes photo ops in a row the crew were abit confused, perhaps stressed. I came for mine and they did not even know this guest was having his there, I was there on time and there were two of those short photo ops still to go before I had mine. Maybe do those 5 minutes ones abit different next year, easier for the crew and for the group of us wondering who it is now. 

Edited by Chris1970

32 minutes ago, RoryMcGarrett said:

Announcing David Tennant - this was a low blow IMO. Even if he had to cancel it would've been nicer to have him announced much earlier. I was broke by the end of the day when SM announced him and thanks to that I missed out on this opportunity. So not very nice. 

David himself confirmed he only knew he was attending at around 4pm on the Saturday so they announced him as soon as it was confirmed.  It's sad some people didn't get to meet him but that shouldn't have meant they shouldn't have announced him.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, gk1964 said:

Seems a good idea for me too.

Stop "Diamond pass package" (auto + photo)

Photoshoots are already guaranteed with a simple ticket.

A diamond pass only for autographs (the price of the auto + a premium for the guarantee).

So, it allow to dispatch people better in the morning, because photoshoots will not be crowded by diamond passes.

And, it's the solution when a guest is coming back after a few year, we don't especially need another photo. (if you want another photo, just buy the photo ticket).

30 minutes ago, john.bttf said:

Seems a good idea for me too.

Stop "Diamond pass package" (auto + photo)

Photoshoots are already guaranteed with a simple ticket.

A diamond pass only for autographs (the price of the auto + a premium for the guarantee).

So, it allow to dispatch people better in the morning, because photoshoots will not be crowded by diamond passes.

And, it's the solution when a guest is coming back after a few year, we don't especially need another photo. (if you want another photo, just buy the photo ticket).

There are still problems. You are making the assumption that people don't want a photograph with a returning guest as they already have one. I know people that get a photo with certain guests every con they go to so it's by no means always the case. DIfferent poses, different cosplay etc. Also the diamond provides priority queueing for the photoshoot even if you buy it a week before the con (as I did with Matt Smith) but if I'd waited the same length of time for a normal shoot I'd have been around batch 10-12. Priority for shoots can be the difference between waiting 5 minutes to get one and an hour to get one meaning a lot more time for other activities. Secondly, again, as I think Nate said above. Why would they do this? It makes no business sense. You are asking them to remove a package that costs around £200 and replace it with one that costs around £125. Massive loss of income.

The be all and end all is it has all been looked at, tried and looked at again and I have no doubt is being constantly reviewed and no matter how much you want it to happen it isn't going to as Showmasters (who know MUCH more about organising these things than you or I) have decided it is unworkable so it is a pointless debate.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

There are still problems. You are making the assumption that people don't want a photograph with a returning guest as they already have one. I know people that get a photo with certain guests every con they go to so it's by no means always the case. DIfferent poses, different cosplay etc. Also the diamond provides priority queueing for the photoshoot even if you buy it a week before the con (as I did with Matt Smith) but if I'd waited the same length of time for a normal shoot I'd have been around batch 10-12. Priority for shoots can be the difference between waiting 5 minutes to get one and an hour to get one meaning a lot more time for other activities. Secondly, again, as I think Nate said above. Why would they do this? It makes no business sense. You are asking them to remove a package that costs around £200 and replace it with one that costs around £125. Massive loss of income.

The be all and end all is it has all been looked at, tried and looked at again and I have no doubt is being constantly reviewed and no matter how much you want it to happen it isn't going to as Showmasters (who know MUCH more about organising these things than you or I) have decided it is unworkable so it is a pointless debate.

So what's the problem ? if they want the photoshoot too, they buy a photoshoot ticket, and they are guaranteed to have the photo.

You have to consider that they are 3 kinds of people :

- The one who want autograph + photo

- The one who want only autograph

- The one who only want photo

System now :

If a guest charge 100 pounds for an auto and 100 pounds for a photo.

Diamond is sold (for example : 225) (25 for the prime)

With the new system :

A diamond pass (autograph only) is sold : 125 pounds

A photoshoot : 100 pounds

125 + 100 = 225 pounds.

Same money are given (to the guest and SM) + Autos and photos are both guaranteed + this is dispatching people across the day

==> And with this new system, GOLDPASS regain interest, because they will have priority at the photoshoot.

(A lot of people complaining about the interest of the GOLDPASS this 3 last year)

You really think that if there are a new system, a fan will spend less money at the show ?

Showmasters have a great organisaton to rules LFCC, it's suggestions to improve organisation and dispatch people across the day (the main issue for me at the show, Diamond block the day in the morning, and you have to come early to have low VQ tickets, it's illogical)

The new system is not to spend less money at the show, it's to improve the show.

==> I'm a fan of LFCC

==> I buy diamond passes

==> I buy photoshoots

==> I buy autographs

==> 2015 and 2017 I bought a GOLDPASS

3 hours ago, RoryMcGarrett said:

No photos - I mean come on! I totally don't understand the No photos policy. I get that the posed pics are stopping the queues and they can be banned, but the guests are celebrities, having security chasing you down just because you dared to take a pic was a low blow. I mean it's just a pic and this year the security was very rude about it. Sometimes people can't do photoshoots and just having a quick snap at the table is amazing. I personally don't take pics of celebrities signing stuff, I prefer to be in the pic with them, but still don't get it and it was just strange. 

There are many potential reasons why the 'No Photos' requirements are there:

One is that there can be a number of people hanging about the auto queues just taking photographs

Another is that a lot of people forget that the flash is on and it can get very irritating and distracting to constantly have flashes going off all the time

Another possibility is that some celebrities need to keep control of their image and like to have the opportunity to look their best for photos and don't like candid shots taken from a distance

1 minute ago, john.bttf said:

A diamond pass is a "pre-sale autograph", it's just called "Diamond pass"

Stop trying to twist it John to prove a point.  You have stated your view, people have discussed it and you have been told been given the final word by the Moderators.  To continue trying to push for it you are just flogging a dead horse

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Stop trying to twist it John to prove a point.  You have stated your view, people have discussed it and you have been told been given the final word by the Moderators.  To continue trying to push for it you are just flogging a dead horse

I'm not trying to twist anything.

I just try to improve organisations for attendees (less stress for everyone)

Diamond pass are the best invention from Showmasters : the guarantee to have the autograph of your guest at the show, with the liberty to come when you want at the desk (when your number is out of course)

I love this, and I don't want to change that !

But i don't understand why you keep saying "pre-sale autograph" doesn't work. Diamond pass is clearly a presale, and it work (very well) !!!

We just discuss here to improve the show, with experiences (bad and good) of each other, we just want to delete the bad ones.

What do you think about the dispatching across the day ?

Personnaly, I can live with the idea than i'm not prioritary at the photoshoot with my diamond, if it's allow people to organize their day better.

(and if you want to priority : GOLDPASS ==> regain interest of the goldpass)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, john.bttf said:

But i don't understand why you keep saying "pre-sale autograph" doesn't work.

OMG. It doesn’t matter what you think. It doesn’t matter what I think. It doesn’t matter what anybody on here thinks. It matters what Showmasters think. You made a suggestion that in your eyes makes perfect sense. The mods have told you that it doesn’t work. It doesn’t matter if you have worked out a way to do it. They don’t want to do it. As Ray says you are flogging a dead horse. There is no point in discussing it any further. Leave this thread for people to post their highs and lows of the con.

• Like 1

Good perspective. Been to a fair few showmasters cons. And have to say the two I went to this year (collectormania and LFCC) have been the best and most organised of the ones I've been too. Managed to get all autos I wanted and ques were dealt with brilliantly. There seems to have been a few changes this year which has worked really well. 

We had almost an entire weekend of highs. Photo ops were fine, no major delays and the quality was great, wasn't too hot all weekend, we got in at a decent time even when queueing quite late on and still got everything we needed done.

Only low we had was going for Momoa's auto on Friday with Diamond. It was extremely rushed (time constraint, understandable) and everyone just seemed really on edge all around him which didn't help the atmosphere at the table. He almost signed the wrong item (it was a gift for him from my girlfriend) and he also used the wrong type of pen for her auto (there wasn't really enough time to ask for another, everything was passed through really quickly) which has resulted in an awful signature on her artwork that will probably end up flaking off on the pencil she has used. Wouldn't say it was too negative of an experience, more just we picked the wrong day to do it.

Thankfully, the photo op was much improved from that. Everyone seemed much more relaxed. He's also an incredibly nice fella. He stopped for a break during my shoot to pick the next song to play, suggested Metallica to him and he approved. Ended up bumping into him Sunday PM and getting another fist bump. 

Edited by Straker94

Just now, Straker94 said:

We had almost an entire weekend of highs. Photo ops were fine, no major delays and the quality was great, wasn't too hot all weekend, we got in at a decent time even when queueing quite late on and still got everything we needed done.

Only low we had was going for Momoa's auto on Friday with Diamond. It was extremely rushed (time constraint, understandable) and everyone just seemed really on edge all around him which didn't help the atmosphere at the table. He almost signed the wrong item (it was a gift for him from my girlfriend) and he also used the wrong type of pen for her auto (there wasn't really enough time to ask for another, everything was passed through really quickly) which has resulted in an awful signature on her artwork that will probably end up flaking off on the pencil she has used. Wouldn't say it was too negative of an experience, more just we picked the wrong day to do it.

Thankfully, the photo op was much improved from that. Everyone seemed much more relaxed.

Can you use a fixative on it to firm the auto?

I had a three day high. I found everything fantastic - of course it was a little too warm and of course the queues at the Tardis shootings were annoying, but this didnt ruin my fantastic weekend. :)  I found everything awesome: The guests, the quality of the pics, the staff, that almost everything except of Matt Smith Tardis was on time....everything..Well wait. One thing to complain: 5 pounds for a can of Cider??? Couldnt get drunk properly with that price, but the Cider wa goooood. 

Low - was the no photos at the table. We are not even talking about photos with which for big guests I can understand why there is a ban.

but if I am paying £85 for a autograph I am going to take photo proof. There is absolutely no harm in taking photos from a distance and it’s not a distraction and it’s not even down to the guests for the majority. It’s Showmasters rules as a few guests even said that when I took photos. They had no issue with it and even posed for me with the item I got signed.

Low - the heat in the autograph section was horrendous.

Other than that I would say this is the best convention I have done in years and years. 

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 4:10 PM, Sassy1988 said:

Highs -

Being able to finally get to meet Matt Smith without needing to fork out tons of money to fly to America. He is my favourite Doctor in Doctor Who and has been for many years now. He was amazing too, very fan friendly and I even managed to get a hug from him which was definitely one of my biggest highlights of the day. I also love the Tardis photo I managed to get with him too and considering he is my favourite Doctor and to have a great photo with the Tardis in the background makes me even more happier as it to me (as he my favourite in Doctor Who) has more meaning in photos like this. Even at his Autograph table when we where getting rushed through as time was getting on and the Crew needed to hurry things up, he was still smiling and saying hi to fans. He managed to meet my expectations and surpass them, I freaking love this guy! :wub:

James Caan was amazing. When I arrived at his autograph table I was quite surprised to see it open queue so I went and got my autographs and he seemed pleasant enough, I even managed to shake his hand afterwards. At the photoshoot he was very nice too sticking his hand out to shake hands with people and thus I managed to get a very nice photo thanks to this, one in which I am really happy about and one of the members of staff who gave me my photo at the shoot told me that she liked the photo too 'Nice Shot' I think I remember her saying which gave me the impression she like the photo too, which really pleased me, more so when I often suffer with a lot of Anxiety and can easily become very sensitive over little trivial things. He was one of the biggest reasons I went to the event and thankfully he didn't disappoint. Also I want to mention for a guy at his age to fly from American for an event like this in hot humid weather and still try and please fans is something I want to praise him for, I have met a few younger guests who have unfortunately been much more colder to fans, so thumbs up to James superb guy! 

Daniel Shorago was great to meet too. Whilst I got my autograph with him he was also in the process of getting into full costume ready for his in-costume shoot, he was really fun and fan friendly often joking around, loved it! At his photoshoot I mustered up enough confidence to ask for a pose for the camera and one in which I'm really happy about too. I really wish Voice Actors where not so underrated at these events :( 

Chris Eccleston was a really top guy too. I for many many years now have been told that Chris doesn't like his fans and other bad things which I wont go into but when I got my photo with him he was great! smiley and accept different poses for the camera and handshakes too, managed to get a nice photo from him. I have learnt my lesson from listening to other people, if folk say negative things about actors just meet them anyway and make up your own mind on what they are like, you may be surprised at how friendly and different they can be at times..

The Crew where on point. Every time I asked a question they knew the answer and where to go, I have unfortunately been to other events in the past where the Crew where badly advised and thus I ended up missing out on stuff through it. The crew at the queues where great too always trying their best to organise everything with Batch numbers and such. Great stuff!

LOWS:

David Duchovny When I met him during the photoshoot, I'll admit I was getting rushed in as I had come in late for the shoot but I don't remember him once saying a single word to me, he did have his hand on my back during the photo which kind of made up for the lack of communication, but I cant help but feel like the shoot could of gone better and it may of done if I wasn't late for the actual shoot haha. At his autograph session he did seem rather tired and the person I was with mentioned after I had got my autograph that he did seem tired, he wasn't really looking at people neither. I did however manage to get a 'fist pump' with him, which helped me mood over him a bit. I didn't have high expectations when meeting him so I'm not too disappointing despite how things turned out, maybe he is just a genuine shy guy or just very reserved I have never really read up on feedback regarding him yet.

Steven Seagal Was very reserved too and like David didn't really say anything, so perhaps another really reserved individual. I'm glad that from past events I do make an extra effort to lower expectations before these events now as it really does pay off when one guest unfortunately doesn't live up to expectations. I did manage to shake Steven's hand at the autograph table though.

Missing out on David Tennant, I tried to buy a DP when he got announced but it forever said 'Unavailable' so ended up sadly missing out on that, although I finally got the meet the best Doctor the very next day anyway which more than made up for it. I also managed to see Tennant signing autographs too whilst I was getting my autograph from Seagulls (I love calling him that haha) so its not like I never got to see Tennant xD I'll be very surprised if SM don't get Tennant back very soon considering how Eventbrite reacted to the outburst of his announcement lol

I now have around 6 lovely blisters on my feet from walking around in uncomfortable shoes lol (and yes I have counted them, I'm currently playing with them as I type )

Overall great event! I have enjoyed my weekend, got to meet guests I never thought I would and okay some seemed more reserved than others but I'm quite shy too so I can relate I guess lol. I love the photos and photo poses I got with the guests too. Thanks SM for an incredible and a fantastic weekend! :D

I don't know which day/photoshoot you did with David Duchovny but I went to his first shoot on Saturday (diamond pass) and found him to be quite engaging. I went straight up and said hi and asked how he was and he seemed genuinely happy to respond and smiled at me (though it was still a very rushed experience, hence my mouth been half open on my pic, photographer took it while I was replying to David) when I went for my auto with him after his first photoshoot again  he was quite pleasant and called me by my name (a nice touch)

I did go back after his talk and paid for another autograph (decided to get my copy of his first album signed) and he was a lot quieter this time but when I spoke to him he was polite and did respond but I do think he was tired by this point (not sure what time he arrived and started signing autos but he was there when I arrived at 1030am) I've been an X Files fan since it started so I was over the moon to have the chance to meet David and I went home very happy :D

I'm sorry you didn't have as good an experience with him but I genuinely think by the end of the day he was just tired.