LFCC 2018: Highs and Lows

Lots of highs but also some lows.

A very rude gentleman arguing with a red shirt on Sunday right in from of Sarah Douglas - She is very much  fan favourite but with his increasing voice level, it was very hard to speak to her.

Peter Capaldi queue - it was getting increasingly hard to get his auto even with a diamond pass.

I cant believe how hot it was there all weekend especially Sunday.

Also, I agree with us losing so much that the Gold Pass used to offer - such a shame considering the price - also have to say how rude some of the attendees were - at the end of the day there is no point in cursing or tutting when someone with a diamond / gold is placed in front of you - we have paid extra for the privilege.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vanguard1138 said:

Tennant Diamond Pass - 
I know he was a last minute announcement and I'm incredibly grateful that you got him, but one of those bead lanyards and a generic LFCC blue pass with David Tennant scrawled on it doesn't strike me as collectable. Would it be possible to get a proper pass with his photo on it and a proper lanyard sent out to those with the Diamond? I'd love to display a proper pass with the picture. 

Pretty sure this is simply down to time scale and nothing more. You would need at least a week to design and get it printed. Plus they wouldn't know how many they needed. Unfair to blame SM for this. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Not_Pennys_Ship said:

I hear you point re: prices.  But encouraging these stars to come over isn't cheap.  Nonetheless, they also rarely come over.  I'm referring to the likes of Steven Seagal, David Duchovny etc.  The only way too see them to to travel across the Atlantic and flights/hotels are in excess of a photoshoot price.  In my opinion, the price offered by Showmasters is fair and no hobby comes cheap.

As for the digital photos, from my experience, cloud based facilities and the time taken to upload them do not come free.  

I completely understand that, but now there seem to be few guests below £50, whereas only a few years ago that was the norm. Guests that were £50 or less are still attending these cons and reaching double the price (my friend got Matt Smith for £40 about 4/5 years ago). 

Digital photos do cost to host, but so do the photoshoots. I don't think a one time download included in a £95 photoshoot is a great ask, hell if it wasn't a clear security risk I'd be happy to take a USB around to get my photos as i went. Either way no cloud based solution will possible cost on a level that justifies £5/photo. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, reelbigmartin said:

Pretty sure this is simply down to time scale and nothing more. You would need at least a week to design and get it printed. Plus they wouldn't know how many they needed. Unfair to blame SM for this. 

Then don't advertise a 'collectable pass' in the diamond package? The timings aren't their fault by any means, but advertising a collectable pass/lanyard and then not providing it absolutely is. Cut out that text and it would have been absolutely fine.

Edited by Vanguard1138

Highs: 

- The guests. I enjoyed meeting all of them and I have no disappointing encounters. Even James Caan said hi and extended his hand for a shake. My fav guest was Sarah Douglas. She is the most lovely person. Ivana Milicevic was also lovely. I’m also super happy they booked Jack O’Halloran again after he had to cancel last year.
- Rare guests. I love the fact that LFCC books guests that no other con can pull off, like Meatloaf, Seagal and Sam Neill. Kudos.
- Aircon worked well except in the guest area where it was needed the most, but I understand it was broken there.
- Second stage. Nice and quiet there and well managed.
- Staff. Everyone was super nice and professional.
- Entry. Quick and easy to pick up diamond pass and get a wristband
- Layout. Good to have stalls downstairs (with good space to move about) and photos and guests upstairs
- Signage. Decent signage; schedule was placed in a lot of places. 
- Cosplayers. Lots of funny and creative cosplayers.

Lows:
- Main stage: Due to its placement, there is a lot of noise from the adjacent photo area. It was also rather dark there, but that was mostly an issue Friday.
- Pricing is too high. As much as £95 for a single auto or photo is too much. I appreciate that its probably the consequence of attracting big names like Momoa though.
- Dealers. Why are they even allowed? At least put a cap of, say, max 3 autos per guest.
- Food and drink pricing. £2.50 for a small can of coke? Really? The variety of food was also limited. Why not have small stalls scattered throughout with various snacks, drinks and food on offer?
- Digital photo. Should be included in the already large cost we pay for the photo op. £5 per digital photo is naughty.
- VQ signage. I don’t understand why there is only a small, difficult to see sign that indicates what VQ numbers the guest is seeing. For the most part you couldn’t read them, and even if you could they were not up to date sometimes. It’s 2018 folks! A more modern system is possible! Maybe have an electronic panel that everyone can see and that is updated regularly, and then have an app or website with VQ info so you don’t have to physically visit the queue to get updated.
- Photo op batches. The above applies to photo op queues as well. Having a guy shout out batch numbers can’t possibly be the most effective way to keep the hundreds of people in the photo area updated on what batch they are up to. Come on.

Despite the lows, overall a great con with a lot of great guests. I really enjoyed it.

I really liked the talks also, and wish more guests had done talks. As much as I like John Schneider, having 3 talks with him while dozens of guests didn’t have a talk session was a bit unfortunate.

One more thing. I must say I’m curious why SM booked so many wrestlers and Star Wars extras. They sat around with nobody visting them almost every time I passed by them. It can’t be good business for anyone if they get so little attention from the attendees. I felt bad for these guests that they sat with noone visiting them most of the time.

p.s. Great to see that some of the guests that cancelled are coming for the Spring event instead.
Edited by Naboo79

First of all I must say a big thanks again to Jason and the Showmasters squad. I have met a lot of my favourite actors/actresses down the years since my first show back in 1876 (No.. it was really 2006.) 

A lot of my lows do not involve Showmasters in general as I think they are getting better and better at organising these events. 

Highs

- Getting in was excellent and quick. I remember the days of waiting outside in the hot sun for ages with the queue snaking around the building three times and you never knew where the back was! 

- Photo shoots personally went very smoothly, having them all in one area really helps with clashes as you can keep an eye on queues etc

- Sean Young for just being there. I looked deep into her eyes... and forgot how I spelled my name. Composed myself and got there in the end! 

- James Caan for his age was very lively and interacted a lot more than I expected. 

- The variety and amount of free talks was great. I personally went to The Fog and James Caan ones. 

- The guests I met were all very pleasant : Sean Young, Catherine Mary Stewart, Lance Guest, Adrienne Barbeau, Tom Atkins, Jimmy Caan and Nick Castle. 

- Lots of room, even Saturday never felt overcrowded or over heated. 

- Showmasters staff were very busy, but always very friendly. They do a great job. 

- Other attendees : had some great chats with people in the queues 

- Cosplayers: Make such a positive impact to these shows and it would be a duller show without them

Lows

- Miranda Richardson photo experience - seemed to me like she didn't want to be there at all - talk about miserable! As an actress she could at least pretend to enjoy meeting me :rolleyes:

- I missed a photo shoot as another one run over, so my brother went in my place. Not so bad considering I had a lot. 

- Queue jumpers. A tiny tiny minority of the thousands of people there who are all great. But queue jumpers... you know who you are and you are a disgrace.    

- Variety of stalls. For a film convention there was no one selling actual films! There seemed to be more stalls with original art in previous years too. 

Roll on the next one! 

• Like 2

Can't really understand why people are still complaining about the dealers. They also spend a great deal of money - and probably pay for some of the smaller guests on their own. If they didn't attend I'm sure prices would increase for everyone else. Sure, it's annoying to be stuck behind someone getting dozens of autographs, but I can't really see the problem if they paid for their turn and you're still getting your autograph?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Naboo79 said:

One more thing. I must say I’m curious why SM booked so many wrestlers and Star Wars extras. They sat around with nobody visting them almost every time I passed by them. It can’t be good business for anyone if they get so little attention from the attendees. I felt bad for these guests that they sat with noone visiting them most of the time.

These are all my opinions, but I assume Jason J has a lot of SW contacts, given that he is one of the worlds biggest SW fans. Therefore he has good relations with these people, and can get them to lots of cons. Also,  I've heard that first time/ rarer SW guests are highly sort after by the really serious SW collectors, even if these are only extras and background characters. I think these guests are big draws for those crowds, but those crowds are only a minority of people.

Also I think wrestling guests are huge in other countries like America. At all the american cons i've ever been to, wrestling guests have almost been as popular as superhero guests, or GoT guests (to name a few popular  fandoms). It may not be as big over here, but again I think it helps draws people from a very specific (yet relativly small) crowd. 

They must earn enough money by attending, otherwise they probably wouldn't come.

Edited by tenaciouspirit
  • Like 1

Highs

Jewel Staite being lovely - when I wheeled into the photo shoot I commented that I didn't want to run over her feet (she was wearing sandals) and she cheerily said "oh don't worry" :) She was also lovely at her autograph table, so I managed to say how pleased I was she had liked Edinburgh (my hometown). Customising her signed message depending on what picture you picked was a nice touch - I chose her from SG Atlantis, so got "lots of love from the Pegasus Galaxy" :D 

Meeting David Duchovny. I've been re-watching the X-Files so it was awesome to see him in person! When I saw him at the photo shoot and the autograph bit he asked how I was and said to have a great day. His talk was funny, although boy does he mumble! Haha. 

Seeing Jason Mamoa - even if it was rather fast going through his photo shoot! 

Lows

Being a little frustrated on Saturday morning to be told at the extra help desk I still needed to go across the hall to get my diamond pass. I wouldn't have been annoyed if we hadn't been told before the event that diamond passes could be collected with the extra help passes... 

Getting incorrect info about Jewel Staite's autograph queue. We went to get a VQ ticket while Jewel was elsewhere, but the blue shirt (American lady) at her table insisted we didn't need one and to "just come back later". So we did that, only to discover the VQ tickets were at 400 and we were meant to have one! I was a little upset and pretty worried we wouldn't get an autograph, but thankfully another blue shirt managed to fit us in a bit later on. She seemed a little exasperated that the first blue shirt had been telling people they didn't need a VQ ticket! 

Exits. I would really appreciate if the exit could be marked on the floorplan. Also why were most of the doors blocked off? I understand restricting entrances, but when we were trying to get to the main road outside the Olympia I really would have appreciated that door being unlocked. There were lots of security staff hovering around, but even after asking if there was a way to get out that didn't involve having to wheel back across the entire venue (I was pretty exhausted!) they just shrugged and glared at us. Not very helpful. At least one additional exit away from Olympia West would have been useful. 

The behaviour of some attendees. The majority of people were great as usual, but there's always a few who harass crew and stand in really awkward places. (Hint: if I'm sitting in my wheelchair near the entrance/exit of a photo shoot, don't stand right in front of me and block the doorway). Also I came across some incredibly rude people when I was trying to ask a blue shirt for advice outside Jason Mamoa's photo shoot on Saturday afternoon. I was literally sitting right in front of the blue shirt waiting to speak when people cut in front of me, spoke over me and treated me as if I was totally invisible! After 5 people acting like this I eventually had to literally sit and wave my arm at the blue shirt's face so she'd talk to me - and someone still tried to barge in! Seriously, some manners would be nice. 

9 minutes ago, autographfan said:

Can't really understand why people are still complaining about the dealers. They also spend a great deal of money - and probably pay for some of the smaller guests on their own. If they didn't attend I'm sure prices would increase for everyone else. Sure, it's annoying to be stuck behind someone getting dozens of autographs, but I can't really see the problem if they paid for their turn and you're still getting your autograph?

The problem with the 'dealers' is that they're the ones who spoil things for real fans. Also when you're after several guests it doesn't help that one person is getting masses of stuff signed and holding up everyone else. Then you can't go and meet other guests because you're stuck in a queue due to dealers trying to 'rack' someone.

19 minutes ago, stanstill said:

Lows

- Miranda Richardson photo experience - seemed to me like she didn't want to be there at all - talk about miserable! As an actress she could at least pretend to enjoy meeting me :rolleyes:

I was surprised she came along at all TBH. I have met her on several occasions and only once did she sign. It's known that she dislikes signing for anyone.

• Like 2

Highs

Every guest I got an Auto from was at least polite, and said 'Hello' 'Thank you for coming'. That's where I set my baseline for a good encounter, and they all at least met it. Special mentions go to:

Chris Eccleston - Far surpassed anyone's expectation (going by what i've read) 

Matt Smith and Zachary Levi - Both so chill!

Noel Clarke - One of the best experience i've ever had, and happy to pose for photos. 

Shauna Mcdonald - Easy to talk to, and easily the guest I spent the most time with. 

Other highs include

Ben from Photo area A (i've mentioned him so many times now, people will think i've fallen in love). Great at queue management and customer service. 

Meat Loaf's talk. Anyone who was there will know why. So genuine, so funny, and so polite.

I thought the organisation was great. I'd always just walk up to a queue member, ask 'what's the current situation with X guest' and they'd tell me straight up. Sometimes that meant joining the back of a long queue, sometimes that meant waiting for ages, and sometimes it meant being able to meet a guest almost immediatly. The outcome didn't matter, what mattered was that they always gave really clear advice. I felt confident that if I joined a queue, I would get an auto. My golden rule to anyone is always to seek out a crew member as soon as you approach a line; then ask them what's going on with the guest. I've lost track of the amount of times I've seen people waiting in a long queue, only for that queue to be for the wrong photo, or just a bunch of VQ holders waiting for their number to be called etc.

And the most important high:  Helping my wife attend her first LFCC, and watching her excitement after meeting Daniel Gillies :D it was so precious.

Lows - 

Not much really. James Caan's short signing time on Friday was a bit annoying, but I knew i'd get him Saturday or Sunday, and I did! 

A few problems with the Friday Meat Loaf queue, as has been discussed.

I also have to echo what was said about the Miranda Richardson photo. A bit bland. 

Felt a bit annoyed with some attendees giving staff a hard time because the attendee had misunderstood the rules. But then I also get that situations can be frustrating, and everyone wants to meet the guests. I just wish people would be a bit more understanding and self reflective.

Otherwise, it was a great convention! Possibly my favourite ever. Right up there with 2015, but I think that one also had a BTTF and Sigourney Weaver buzz that was infectious to everyone in the building.

Edited by tenaciouspirit
  • Like 1

The Highs

• The layout. Excellent for the most part with lessons learned from the first few Olympia events. Sensible locations for the photos, autographs etc. Thanks for moving the queue zones for Photo A-D. That prevented the usual congestion on the floor area in between. There was a lot of space between stalls as well, which really helped foot traffic moving around.
  • The crew. Most of them were excellent and helpful. They seemed to be very well informed this time so I think whoever was in charge of the daily briefings did an excellent job.
  • Air con. Excellent throughout, despite the insane heat outside. The autograph area became a little overheated, but that was due to having so many people and a lower ceiling.
  • Lots of free talks on the Friday and Saturday. That really helped to fill the gaps. Thank you.
  • An excellent guest list. You managed to cater for so many genres and interests. Outstanding agency work there.

The Lows

• Autograph queuing. I already posted about this separately, but this weekend was the worst I'd ever experienced. The queue needs to be treated like the Photo pits with very clear instructions on which passes/numbers are being currently accepted. The queue needs to max out at about a 20-25 minute wait. Any longer and it causes chaos for your customers. For instance, the Lance Henrickson queue was ridiculous. I tried to join three times and when I finally managed to get in, it was a 90 minute queue. This meant that I missed a photo shoot and was able to obtain less autos overall (costing you guys money). If a queue is 90 minutes, you also need to factor in the guests breaks, talks and photos, so a 90 minute window isn't that easy to make room for from a customer perspective. The crew were completely ignoring the virtual queue system that day. Anyone could join the queue at any time and as a result, it was massive. When they finally took control and started calling out numbers, it was too late. There were people waiting with numbers like 80, whilst people with 300+ were already in the queue. Completely pointless, a waste of time for many, and it would definitely have caused SM some lost revenue.
  • The pit staff need PA's or something to help them control their zones. It would help with their sense of presence and control of the area.
  • Very few free talks on the Sunday.
  • Extremely uncomfortable seats. I know that's probably beyond your control as the Olympia own the seats, but geez, those things really did into your back.

Overall, an outstanding event Showmasters! I can't wait for next year. :D 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Vanguard1138 said:

Then don't advertise a 'collectable pass' in the diamond package? The timings aren't their fault by any means, but advertising a collectable pass/lanyard and then not providing it absolutely is. Cut out that text and it would have been absolutely fine.

It wasn't: This package includes:1 x Exclusive David Tennant Diamond Pass Dog Tag

2 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

It wasn't: This package includes:1 x Exclusive David Tennant Diamond Pass Dog Tag

Ah thanks for the clarification, I couldn't find the exact page.

Still, I wouldn't call a generic LFCC tag with David Tennant written on it an 'Exclusive DT dog tag'. It'd be nice as a goodwill gesture if Showmasters could arrange for some DT tags for those that want them for a display. 

Just now, Vanguard1138 said:

Ah thanks for the clarification, I couldn't find the exact page.

Still, I wouldn't call a generic LFCC tag with David Tennant written on it an 'Exclusive DT dog tag'. It'd be nice as a goodwill gesture if Showmasters could arrange for some DT tags for those that want them for a display. 

I think you are getting hung up on a small point Vanguard, yes they are lovely to have, I still have all my previous ones but they didn't have any other option in David's and Sam's cases. I'm just thankful they had enough blank ones on hand to do them.  The Info would have been copied from previous Diamonds as it's important to have the terms there and just edited with David's specifics. I doubt SM will go out and get them printed after the show.

Another small low I did want to mention, was that I had less paid talks this year. I know this is SUPER subjective, as it depends who you're in to (i'm not blaming SM at all), but I only had one (for Meatloaf). It's a shame because some of my fondest LFCC memories are from the 2015 BTTF talk, or the Renner talk, or last years late GoT talk. The free talks are lovely, but at 25 minutes long, they do lose something that the paid talks bring to the table. I would have loved to find someway of squeezing in a blackadder paid talk, or even just a Tony Robinson talk. I've been to a talk by him, and he's such a great speaker. Possibly also a bigger paid GoT talk that featured Mamoa, Paul Kaye or Iwan (obviously those two came on different days). I think SM did the best with what was given to them, especially with a lot of the bigger guests only doing one day, but it is still quite sad for me that I couldn't hear some of these brilliant guests speak for 40 minutes.

Edited by tenaciouspirit

5 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I think you are getting hung up on a small point Vanguard, yes they are lovely to have, I still have all my previous ones but they didn't have any other option in David's and Sam's cases. I'm just thankful they had enough blank ones on hand to do them.  The Info would have been copied from previous Diamonds as it's important to have the terms there and just edited with David's specifics. I doubt SM will go out and get them printed after the show.

I mean for a £211 cost I think it's okay to get hung up all small points when the full package isn't delivered as advertised, they shouldn't have used that wording if they couldn't deliver in my opinion. 

Thought it was a bit of a pity that both James Caan and Steven Seagal didn't personalise. Going by their queue sizes and signing speed, I'm guessing that it's more that they didn't want to do them rather than Showmasters asked them not to.

Other than that, I've got almost no complaints. Most guests were lovely enough. I wish I did take more time to have a chat, but I always feel quite rushed when I know people behind me are waiting.

The only beef I have with Showmasters is that they didn't use the "no personalisation" cards for the guests that didn't to them. For some guests this would be a dealbreaker to me and probably others as well.

And of course, I absolutely hate dealers.

3 hours ago, snot182 said:

Tom Atkins next, he was so nice, chatted to everyone, joking around and was bringing people round the back of his table for photos. I got to him, we chatted, we joked, he signed. I asked for a photo... "I am really sorry but I have just been told I am not allowed to be taking photos with people as I have a photo shoot later" (better note that just before this, a sign went up next to Adrienne who he was sitting next to but not Tom) no worries Tom, genuine pleasure to meet him, so much energy for an 82 year old.

Sadly it was worse than that. I was about 8th in line on Friday for Tom. First guest I went to.

He started doing photos with a few people in front, then when I asked can I have a photo he said yes, that will be a tenner. So he put his signing price up and asked for 10 for a desk photo.

I declined as it made me feel like a "customer" even more than usual and it left a sour taste in my mind.

Nice chatty guy mind you :-) cannot complain about his friendliness.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Vanguard1138 said:

I mean for a £211 cost I think it's okay to get hung up all small points when the full package isn't delivered as advertised, they shouldn't have used that wording if they couldn't deliver in my opinion. 

They gave you what was advertised, they haven't deceived you or anything.

Edited by Raylenth

41 minutes ago, tenaciouspirit said:

Another small low I did want to mention, was that I had less paid talks this year. I know this is SUPER subjective, as it depends who you're in to (i'm not blaming SM at all), but I only had one (for Meatloaf). It's a shame because some of my fondest LFCC memories are from the 2015 BTTF talk, or the Renner talk, or last years late GoT talk. The free talks are lovely, but at 25 minutes long, they do lose something that the paid talks bring to the table. I would have loved to find someway of squeezing in a blackadder paid talk, or even just a Tony Robinson talk. I've been to a talk by him, and he's such a great speaker. Possibly also a bigger paid GoT talk that featured Mamoa, Paul Kaye or Iwan (obviously those two came on different days). I think SM did the best with what was given to them, especially with a lot of the bigger guests only doing one day, but it is still quite sad for me that I couldn't hear some of these brilliant guests speak for 40 minutes.

More free talks the better in my opinion.

And less 'elitism' in the paid talks. When, after the DP queue has been let in and seated there are still a lot of empty seats in the Diamond Pass rows, and the crew have been told not to let others from the lower tier queues entering next sit in those empty seats, but rather to stay back that's a poor reflection on the spirit of the venue. Sam Neill's talk had an awful lot of empty seats up front, especially on the flanks as a result of this policy and it looked silly. (I estimated getting on for a third if not more of the allocated DP seating was empty) But 'rules are rules' and all that stuff

Sure, some DP members might turn up late after the talk has started but in most cases, that's then down to them not being where they should be in time.

2 hours ago, Naboo79 said:

h.

- Dealers. Why are they even allowed? At least put a cap of, say, max 3 autos per guest.

- It’s 2018 folks! A more modern system is possible! Maybe have an electronic panel that everyone can see and that is updated regularly, and then have an app or website with VQ info so you don’t have to physically visit the queue to get updated.

We aren't allowed to talk guest fees but do some basic maths, the Star Wars extras aren't going likely to be on a lot. You only need one  or two dealers getting 50 items and that's probably paid for them*. The rest is pure profit. Since some people will get posters, DVD covers, books, cards, figures, they don't need to be busy all day to make it worth their while. Otherwise they wouldn't try so hard to get new names. Every time I think there can't possibly be any more to get they seem to dig out a few; but the fact they seem to be getting non-UK guests now (which can cost more) I do think we are getting towards the end now, at least for me.

I had a funny experience with my Star Wars autos at the event. I only get a book signed and thought Mike Quinn had signed it 20 years ago, I must have met him. But looking, seems he never had. Until Sunday.

* so the dealers have their uses.

Obviously an app would make a lot of sense, but lets face it they've only had QR codes a few years, they seem to be a decade behind.

I'd like to make a suggestion actually, a  sort of compromise, a way of providing the info on the cheap.

How about a dedicated twitter account for number status-  A showmasters live perhaps. Only need a few people to keep revising the numbers, its basic info that would be probably be logged anyway in any other business.

Edited by TerraHawk
  • Like 2

Highs for me was saving a fortune due to none of the Diamond Pass guests really interested me although I did get a photo with that good looking man Duchovny.

I had a great chat with Peter Weller about Sons of Anarchy late on Sunday. Meeting up with friends in the pub on Saturday and having our usual great time.

Cerina Vincent is a lovely lady had a great chat about couple of her films should of got her phone number though ;)

Lows - Not enough wrestling guests or Star Wars guests (someone complained about too many) Well, I don't like Doctor Who but I won't moan about to how many guests from that particular franchise were in attendance.

Getting up 2 hours earlier than I needed too on Sunday as the James Caan photoshoot was put back but it was one of my favourite photos the weekend

• Like 1