Saturday queue feedback

In case anyone thinks I was harsh on anyone in this thread. Until a few years ago I wasn't disabled, I always had health problems that slowed me down a little but not disabled and never felt disadvantaged. Then I had an accident, a botched surgery, a bad recovery and now I permanently use a crutch and have chronic pain as a result of the botched surgery. It can happen to anyone at any time. Before this happened to me I'm sure my opinion would have been very different and I was definitely not as passionate about disabled rights. Now I will fight for anyones right to use advantages like those given at LFCC. I always say I would rather let a few people abuse the system than see one person who truly needs help go without.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

Hey Clyde I hope your son managed to have a good time at LFCC. I ran into a young woman several times during the event who had a sign around her neck saying she was autistic and to be patient with her. I had some great chats with her and her mother over the weekend as we saw many of the same guests. I hope it wasn't overly stressful for either her or your son.

Yes he did Mark Henry was his favourite and he was such a lovely person a true gent SM staff where great cosplayers where really nice he is already talking about next year and can’t wait to go thanks for asking

• Like 1

I am really saddened by some of the comments on this thread. I just thought I would share my own experience to possibly enlighten some people who don’t seem to understand...

I have attended LFCC for four years, and this was the first year I required an extra help band. I have no visible disability unless you look closely and see the medical devices I have to wear to keep me alive, but 23 years of a chronic health condition has taken its toll meaning I have nerve damage and can’t stand for long periods of time. My option this year was either to request extra help, or not attend at all. 

Comments implying that someone with a disability that can’t be seen is somehow less disabled than a person with a visible disability is not only completely absurd, it’s also very insulting to ALL people with disabilities or health conditions, visible or not. 

I was going to say that I would also like to be able to swap places with someone who is capable of queuing in exchange for them taking my health problems away, but actually, if that meant also losing my empathy and understanding then I think I’m happier staying the way I am. 

• Like 4

Seeing as they pretty much do the same thing, would replacing "extra help" wristbands with complimentary Gold wristbands maybe help?

That way , every extra help person would appear to be a gold member , so hopefully no arguments or incidents would occur.

Then everyone can be less stressed and enjoy the show more.

:D

9 minutes ago, andrewrolar said:

Seeing as they pretty much do the same thing, would replacing "extra help" wristbands with complimentary Gold wristbands maybe help?

That way , every extra help person would appear to be a gold member , so hopefully no arguments or incidents would occur.

Then everyone can be less stressed and enjoy the show more.

:D

Not a bad idea, but the problem there is that even though gold pass holders don't need a vq ticket, they still have to queue. Even with a gold pass I have had to stand in a queue for well over an hour for a guest who was a particularly slow signer, and some people in need of extra help would not be able to manage this.

17 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

Not a bad idea, but the problem there is that even though gold pass holders don't need a vq ticket, they still have to queue. Even with a gold pass I have had to stand in a queue for well over an hour for a guest who was a particularly slow signer, and some people in need of extra help would not be able to manage this.

You are right Wrong (that was fun to say). Even the photo queues had long gold queues and once you start mixing regular gold passes with people requiring extra help, especially wheelchairs it becomes unworkable. Sometimes at photo ops there isn’t even room for an extra help queue due to lots of people queueing already. In these instances the blue shirts usually just hold the queue until the extra help have all gone through, in one case last weekend it was so busy we had to go in the exit door. It really just comes down to people accepting what the extra help bands are for and accepting that.

33 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

I did see at one point a few months ago someone suggesting the extra help people queue on the second floor which seemed like a good idea. Not sure it would be feasible at all though.

I did mention something like that. Letting extra help queue after they have gone through the lift would help them a lot, but needs crew and organizing.

24 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

And first of all space. It's a possible liability issue too.

Yeah I know I brought it up again but I didn't think it would work very well. Especially considering the amount of space on the 2nd floor. Just trying to brainstorm a bit.

@Queen_Sindel how are you feeling now? Hope you're doing a bit better and are a lot less stressed now the event is over.

From the viewpoint of a Saturday (and Sunday) day pass holder, I thought the queue was handled very well on Saturday compared to last year. I was very happy when I attended Birmingham Collectormania earlier this year and the security team kept the queue moving which was key to keeping people calm because even if the queue is very long, so long one is making consistent progress one will be happier than just standing still.

This was especially important on Saturday when it was heatwave conditions.

I arrived around 9:30am and got into the Olympia around 10am - no compliants. Plus a jolly sense of humour from the security team also helped to keep everyone's mood up, well done.