Saturday queue feedback

As someone who picked up their 3 day wristband on Thursday. I was a bit annoyed about how the queue on Saturday was all ticket types bunged together. 

I could understand why this happened outside to keep the streets clear and make sure everyone went through security but really as soon as you go through bag check it should really separate into people who need their tickets scanning/pick up their wristbands and a ‘fast lane’ of those already with wristbands so they can get back in quick. I’ve been to other events who have a system like this and it works

In previous years I’ve never had much trouble getting in on Saturday morning quickly but this year it took at least 45 minutes and resulted in missing a shoot and then having to deal with a clash that afternoon that I was trying to avoid. Boyfriend had to run to his Tony Robinson shoot and just made it. 

Just made the whole idea of picking up wristbands early a bit pointless 

Otherwise a good con once I got in :)

• Like 1

I am confused, what held you up ? I had the 3 Day Band ( got mine on Friday) on Saturday I went through security then just walked to the 3 day Lane holding up banded wrist and walked through to join the main queue.

Even getting a day ticket scanned took all of 2 seconds - I was really impressed with how quickly they got us in on Saturday tbh, from queuing outside out of sight of the entrance at doors opening (because the entry hall was full) to inside the con by 9:35. 

1 hour ago, scifisteve said:

I am confused, what held you up ? I had the 3 Day Band ( got mine on Friday) on Saturday I went through security then just walked to the 3 day Lane holding up banded wrist and walked through to join the main queue.

I think it was people arriving slightly later, after the doors opened.  There were long queue's outside snaking around the building apparently, it may have been caused by bag checks and possibly what Jem said added to slowing it down

2 hours ago, Jemzamia said:

As someone who picked up their 3 day wristband on Thursday. I was a bit annoyed about how the queue on Saturday was all ticket types bunged together. 

I could understand why this happened outside to keep the streets clear and make sure everyone went through security but really as soon as you go through bag check it should really separate into people who need their tickets scanning/pick up their wristbands and a ‘fast lane’ of those already with wristbands so they can get back in quick. I’ve been to other events who have a system like this and it works

In previous years I’ve never had much trouble getting in on Saturday morning quickly but this year it took at least 45 minutes and resulted in missing a shoot and then having to deal with a clash that afternoon that I was trying to avoid. Boyfriend had to run to his Tony Robinson shoot and just made it. 

Hopefully it's something they will consider for next year.  I was very impressed with the new set up for on the day Diamond collections and the new split entry gates over previous years so hopefully they will look at how the new system worked this year and make any tweaks needed for the next one.

I'd also like them to reconsider full rows of solid barriers for the queuing lines in Hall H.  Unfortunately some people just duck under the tape and queue jump and there's no reason for them not to do it as there's no consequences.  I appreciate it's hard for security to deal with when they have to keep an eye on the masses streaming in but full length of barriers would be a starting point?

From my perspective in the extra help queue, the main queue on Saturday looked like it was moving pretty fast! 

I was a little frustrated to get to the extra help desk and be told that I still had to go collect my diamond pass from the opposite side of the hall. (My arms certainly got plenty of exercise this year!) I'm pretty sure when the entrances were posted on here it said they'd just have our diamond passes at the extra help entrance to make things easier... but clearly that didn't happen. I wouldn't have minded so much if we hadn't actually passed the diamond pass desk on the way to queue! Lol. 

3 hours ago, Jemzamia said:

We picked up our wristbamds thursday also.and as we had gotten all the big autos we wanted on friday not get to event as early as.forst shoot not until just after 12.... we got to olympia maybe aroumd 10.45 and had to queie outside for ages before reaching entry to hall/bag check.. but after bag check it was seperated to those that needed scanned/bands etc amd.those that jad band already..... we showed our band and went in.  No hold up after bag check.

Entry on Saturday was handled really well, I was less enthused about having to go through the long winding snake queue on re-entry a few hours later.

There should have been a fast track entry for people who already had their hand stamped.

I had a different problem the saturday : I was at LFCC's doors at 05:00 am and was 14th in the line... I managed to keep this position during all the long wait to 09:00am. But 10mn before the opening of the con, WHAT ? The line for disabled people enters first ??? Lots of people skipping the queue this way !! Including many 'so-called' helpers and some disabled persons who seemed able to run.  And so, instead of getting a VT numbered 14 or about , i got a ticket number 131 (!) for the actor i was coming to see. This seems completely an anormal situation to me and it was stressful.

Don't get me wrong : i have nothing against the disabled persons and i understand that many need special care, but what prevents an healthy guy to persuade a disabled person of his family to come with him at the con so that, as an helper, he can skip all the main queue ?

2 hours ago, Marcowinch said:

I had a different problem the saturday : I was at LFCC's doors at 05:00 am and was 14th in the line... I managed to keep this position during all the long wait to 09:00am. But 10mn before the opening of the con, WHAT ? The line for disabled people enters first ??? Lots of people skipping the queue this way !! Including many 'so-called' helpers and some disabled persons who seemed able to run.  And so, instead of getting a VT numbered 14 or about , i got a ticket number 131 (!) for the actor i was coming to see. This seems completely an anormal situation to me and it was stressful.

Don't get me wrong : i have nothing against the disabled persons and i understand that many need special care, but what prevents an healthy guy to persuade a disabled person of his family to come with him at the con so that, as an helper, he can skip all the main queue ?

Funny you should say that...I was talking to someone on Saturday who more or less admitted to abusing the helper system to get in first, accompanying their less than interested "autistic" family member to get into the building first. Really then, you could say the autistic family member was accompanying the healthy fan!

The thing is, how do SM know the fakers from the genuine cases? I saw their queue and there were certainly some genuine cases there, but I do agree and the information above was validation for me, that the system is being abused.

No doubt as someone who queued from 5am you were equally miffed that the majority of these people just rocked up after 8.30am...

• Like 1

You also have to remember, if you were in the normal hall H queue, that Gold Pass members get in first as well, so they probably contributed to the high VQ number you were handed. Who was the guest in question btw?

SM have already changed the system because the abuse got out of hand. No system is perfect though. It happens everywhere, theme parks etc. No one found a way to stop it yet.

And seriousy, being upset because the disabled queue got in first? We'll have you in a wheelchair in the main line next year then, then you will experience it is dangerous for all attendees first hand. I was in a wheelchair once before the events got so busy. Nightmare.

• Like 4

Also as someone in that queue. You have NO right to judge who is disabled enough for you or not. We had to provide proof in the form of a doctors letter, a blue badge, a DLA/PIP letter. Do you think these things are able to obtain without being disabled. I'm here to tell you they're not. I highly doubt anyone thought I wasn't disabled watching me wobble slowly between queues and begging crew for chairs at every chance I got. 

Some of the people in the queue that I spoke to also did not have physical disabilities. High functioning people with autism, people with anxiety etc. They would not look outwardly disabled to you but they still have issues.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

SM have already changed the system because the abuse got out of hand. No system is perfect though. It happens everywhere, theme parks etc. No one found a way to stop it yet.

And seriousy, being upset because the disabled queue got in first? We'll have you in a wheelchair in the main line next year then, then you will experience it is dangerous for all attendees first hand. I was in a wheelchair once before the events got so busy. Nightmare.

Queen_Sindel : i agree most of people in that line were there for good reasons and i empathize. But as i saw lots of guys from that line run, i highly doubt it was justified for them to enter earlier than the main queue. The previous years it seemed to me that disabled people could skip the line when in front of the guests and i was more agree with that system than what we've had this year...

I generally found the main Q to be ok and realise it must be difficult to manage the intial insanity of everyone entering the hall at the same time. The only thing i found slighty frustrating and annoying was the fact that my boyfriend and I were queuing on the street before entry into the hall was allowed. When entry was permitted (which would've been nice if this had been when the rain started) and people started to 'filter' through, that was when people started ducking under tape or running pass us as we made our way round. So it ended up that people who had been behind us outside ended up being in front of us in the Q in the hall even though we technically we had been queuing longer than them. I appreciate the staff were shouting not to do this but this didnt have any effect. If the hall had been open for everyone arriving then we would have been queuing in the order we arrived. I understand that this would mean SM having to get more staff or hire the venue longer. It just seems bit unfair for anyone who might be at the very front of the Q and then potentially be passed by others who were further down the Q. I understand its never going to be a perfect system but do agree solid barriers should be in place as i was annoyed at people behind us then being in front due to ducking under the tape. Or even placing security staff at taped bits to try and prevent this. Once inital chaos was over the Q was fine and moved quickly to get into the show.

The opportunity to pick up passes on the Thursday was a brilliant idea as my boyfriend was collecting a DP and it definitely saves a lot of time and anxiety. Would be great if SM continued with this and thanks to all the staff and volunteers who do try their best to help everyone and to try and make everyone's experience enjoyable as I realise it is not an easy job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marcowinch said:

Queen_Sindel : i agree most of people in that line were there for good reasons and i empathize. But as i saw lots of guys from that line run, i highly doubt it was justified for them to enter earlier than the main queue. The previous years it seemed to me that disabled people could skip the line when in front of the guests and i was more agree with that system than what we've had this year...

And everyone in that queue had a free carer who were likely the ones running. I had a carer and another person and they let both join me in the queue. Like I said above it wasn't just physical disabilities that were in that queue. You don't know what someone's disability is. Disabled people, especially now, are already under so much scrutiny. It is hard for us to get the benefits we are entitled to due to attitudes like yours that think that you can tell a person is disabled just by looking at them. We had to provide proof which is not easy to obtain, I went through the process of switching from DLA to PIP a few months ago and it was a stressful and long procedure. This year we were not allowed to just skip queues for autographs because of criticisms from previous years. Though any time I went to a queue with my extra help wristband my queueing was expedited due to the wonderful staff. I would prefer they brought back us being able to skip virtual queues but if they keep getting criticism like this that will not happen, they will just make the extra help wristbands more worthless and make the whole event even more of a struggle for us.

• Like 3

Ok so  to solve this issue it seems like the easiest answer would be to go back to the system from before where anyone with an extra help Band is  just taken to the front of the auto que(as they are with photo shoots). This would mean they didn’t have to run (themselves or carer)

Ella unfortunately you have had to jump through hoops to prove you are disabled due to the high number of people who like most things in life try and cheat the systems put in place to help the people who really need it.

As to making extra help bands more worthless take a moment and think of the gold pass band people who pay a fortune and get less every year.

Edited by Dreamweaver187

1 hour ago, Marcowinch said:

Ironic that you said you were happier with the previous system where you were probably in a far worse situation because some people were abusing it left, right and center, but you just didn't know about it.  They had to change it as Queen said due to people being complete ****** for their personal gain.  I understand it's frustrating when you specifically get there that early to be in with a good chance but the Access people don't have a choice, they can't go themeselve most of them because they aren't mobile enough to get to and around the floor quickly (nor would it be especially safe with everyone rushing looking up to find the guests, their helpers would have to go for them.

There's no easy solution. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Ironic that you said you were happier with the previous system where you were probably in a far worse situation because some people were abusing it left, right and center, but you just didn't know about it.  They had to change it as Queen said due to people being complete ****** for their personal gain.  I understand it's frustrating when you specifically get there that early to be in with a good chance but the Access people don't have a choice, they can't go themeselve most of them because they aren't mobile enough to get to and around the floor quickly (nor would it be especially safe with everyone rushing looking up to find the guests, their helpers would have to go for them.

Well said Rey.

33 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

And everyone in that queue had a free carer who were likely the ones running. I had a carer and another person and they let both join me in the queue. Like I said above it wasn't just physical disabilities that were in that queue. You don't know what someone's disability is. Disabled people, especially now, are already under so much scrutiny. It is hard for us to get the benefits we are entitled to due to attitudes like yours that think that you can tell a person is disabled just by looking at them. We had to provide proof which is not easy to obtain, I went through the process of switching from DLA to PIP a few months ago and it was a stressful and long procedure. This year we were not allowed to just skip queues for autographs because of criticisms from previous years. Though any time I went to a queue with my extra help wristband my queueing was expedited due to the wonderful staff. I would prefer they brought back us being able to skip virtual queues but if they keep getting criticism like this that will not happen, they will just make the extra help wristbands more worthless and make the whole event even more of a struggle for us.

I sympathise with you Ella and appreciate that you have to go through so much in order to get your wristband but for others this shows that SM are doing their best to make sure that the people getting those wristbands deserve them. Plus am sure the users of these bands are then reassured that everyone who has one, deserves it. However, I can see it from the other perspective and why people criticised. I was at another recent SM event I stood for approx 1 1/4hrs for a guest's autograph and I was 2 from the front and an SM member brought someone with extra assistance and asked if they could be slotted in and I thought 'oh what' but at the same time you dont want to be that person who says no. I think the fairest way is to treat everyone equally and with a VQ ticket and then being expedited to the front when your in the number bracket.

I honestly do understand where you are coming from as I have a member of my family with special needs and I know the challenges that come with it and you cant tell from looking at them. However, we treat them wherever possible as a regular person which I think does help them. I think the SM staff do a great job at trying to assist people who need that bit of extra help to make sure they have just as great a day as everyone else. Plus praise to SM for making sure there is the facility or opportunity to provide this extra resource.

11 minutes ago, Tracis said:

I think the fairest way is to treat everyone equally and with a VQ ticket and then being expedited to the front when your in the number bracket.

This? Is exactly the system that was in place this year. We had to get virtual queue tickets so of course the two people with me rushed to go get them after being let in. For me to be able to get one I would have had to walk from the right hand side of the venue to the left about halfway down to where the nearest lift was, then walk all the way back over to the left to the guests. This might not seem like a great distance to you but to me that journey took 5 minutes plus especially with the slow lift and the amount of people trying to use it. My sisters who accompanied me are able bodied and able to run upstairs, by the time I got to the guests everyone regular was being let in. I would have had zero advantage without having someone able bodied with me. The only time the number thing wasn't in place for me was when I turned up with a diamond pass they didn't look at the number on the pass due to having a disabled wristband and let me join the queue for an autograph no matter what diamond number they were on. I thought this was a good thing. 

28 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I have one easy solution : instead of having everyone (disabled or not) have to run everywhere (because the location of the guests are not indicated before the show) to get a VT, why not try to distribute the VT's during the queues before the gates open ? That would be much easier for everyone (even for SM's staff) ... ^_^

17 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

This? Is exactly the system that was in place this year. We had to get virtual queue tickets so of course the two people with me rushed to go get them after being let in. For me to be able to get one I would have had to walk from the right hand side of the venue to the left about halfway down to where the nearest lift was, then walk all the way back over to the left to the guests. This might not seem like a great distance to you but to me that journey took 5 minutes plus especially with the slow lift and the amount of people trying to use it. My sisters who accompanied me are able bodied and able to run upstairs, by the time I got to the guests everyone regular was being let in. I would have had zero advantage without having someone able bodied with me. The only time the number thing wasn't in place for me was when I turned up with a diamond pass they didn't look at the number on the pass due to having a disabled wristband and let me join the queue for an autograph no matter what diamond number they were on. I thought this was a good thing. 

Apologies if I annoyed you as I can certainly tell from your posts that you are passionate about this which I understand as know what it is like from a disabled perspective. I perhaps wrongly assumed that someone would be getting your VQ ticket for you so i meant that once your number was called you can then be expedited to the front. I was just referring to the queuing for autographs and not how you got to the area. 

5 minutes ago, Tracis said:

Apologies if I annoyed you as I can certainly tell from your posts that you are passionate about this which I understand as know what it is like from a disabled perspective. I perhaps wrongly assumed that someone would be getting your VQ ticket for you so i meant that once your number was called you can then be expedited to the front. I was just referring to the queuing for autographs and not how you got to the area. 

Someone did get my queue tickets for me, I had two people with me a carer and someone actually attending the convention who were both allowed to join the extra help queue with me. I was also answering people above who were suggesting that people in that queue who were able bodied shouldn't have been there, apologies I'm on my phone in London City airport getting confused between the people I'm replying to here.

It is something I'm passionate about yes, especially due to wrong assumptions about disabled people and the benefits they may get (thanks to certain newspapers we shall not name promoting the wrong idea that everyone on benefits is a lying scrounger). I only got a few people on virtual queue ticket as I had most of the ones I wanted on diamonds. But yes the queuing was expedited once the number was called.

34 minutes ago, Marcowinch said:

I have one easy solution : instead of having everyone (disabled or not) have to run everywhere (because the location of the guests are not indicated before the show) to get a VT, why not try to distribute the VT's during the queues before the gates open ? That would be much easier for everyone (even for SM's staff) ... ^_^

It’s an interesting idea initially, but what it means is that the first person in the queue gets VQ ticket number 1 for everyone and so on.  It would also require a lot more crew.

Under the existing system, people have a choice who they want to prioritise to get low VQs for and later people have a better chance.  Also, for diamond pass guests, you would have to sort out how to split the numbers between the gold and standard queues.

On the Friday and Saturday I went and queued with my friends exceptionally early and didnt mind it all depends on the time you get there I queued from half 6 on the Saturday. On the Sunday I went with a friend who really wanted to go not because she was made but because she wanted to meet Paul, Daniel and Tom and couldnt go unless someone came with her. Shes in a wheelchair and had to get the access band I was the one to go get her VQ tickets for a few and she had brought DP passes for the rest.

I have never encountered so many people who kicked, pushed and jabbed her out the way because she was in a wheelchair and had an access pass I have been to LFCC for over ten years this year because of the hype and heat made people pushey, rude and someone even tried to more and push her in her wheelchair out the way to get to a guest they even turned to and gave her a dirty look. I must admit that there was some wonderful lovely human beings including the SM voulnteers and crew who helped in any way they could. One SM crew moved her to the front as the area we where in was so blocked from on coming people at the auto tables in made it impossible for her to where she was and had to be moved to help flow of people. She didnt once ask for this and as I was with her I got to go to the front then queued again to get my auto after as not to cause offence. However with the help to get VQ tickets from me there be no way she could of got near all the pushing and shoving of people without getting hurt theres two sides to the coin on this one. I personally dont mind access going to the front of queues as even an able body person the congestion was hard at times the only ones I haver issue with is traders thats a different rant.