Latest Guest Announcement - DAVID TENNANT

David was amazing and can't compliment the management of his auto's enough, we weren't rushed, there was time for people to have some interaction with David who was happy and smiley and fine with having a chat with everyone

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Raylenth said:

David was amazing and can't compliment the management of his auto's enough, we weren't rushed, there was time for people to have some interaction with David who was happy and smiley and fine with having a chat with everyone

Meeting David was amazing. Both his photo shoots were very busy and chaotic as you would expect, there were some misunderstandings with the tickets sold at the sales desk, one person passed out in the queue, etc. but the staff had always everything under control. At the beginning I was thinking, “Oh god, how is this going to work out?” but was really, positively impressed by the end. I was one of the last people at both his shoots and I think they overrun only 10-15 minutes max, the photo quality was great as always, and still the sessions didn’t feel rushed at all, at one point David even had the time to do a little dance between one photo and the other :D

The only thing I’d like to point out for the future - and this might not be the best place, but it did mainly apply to David’s photos - photo tickets sold at the sales desk do need a batch number written down. It would have saved a lot of stress and complaining. Since people buying at the sales desk were among the first to get through to the online store and book tickets, we would have had virtually low batch numbers, and it was a bit unfair to be pushed to the end of the sessions. It wasn’t a problem in the end, but it would have avoided a lot of stress and running around for the people who, like me, had clashes with other photo shoots and had to time everything carefully. Just saying, though, don’t know if SM could even be able to solve this situation or it’s all down to Eventbrite...

Edited by Nerd Who

2 hours ago, EllaBlair said:

He was wonderful. We got his autograph first thing, he showed up at exactly 9am and he was so friendly. Chatted to us for a couple of minutes.

Did he pick up on your accents, Ella? I remember him doing Who Do You Think You Are? a few years ago and he has family in the North West of NI!

On another note, met David after he came back from his lunch break at 3 (that's what we were told he was doing, someone said above he had his lunch at 12 :-S) and it was only a quick chance we had with him but he was lovely! And he was great in the Diamond shoot as well!

(BTW, @smithy270492, I don't know what happened when I was trying to talk to you earlier at the DP photoshoot but we had another shoot at 1.35 and was hoping at that moment to get David done before going to that on, to try and slot ourselves in)

1 minute ago, wjbleming said:

Did he pick up on your accents, Ella? I remember him doing Who Do You Think You Are? a few years ago and he has family in the North West of NI!

On another note, met David after he came back from his lunch break at 3 (that's what we were told he was doing, someone said above he had his lunch at 12 :-S) and it was only a quick chance we had with him but he was lovely! And he was great in the Diamond shoot as well!

(BTW, @smithy270492, I don't know what happened when I was trying to talk to you earlier at the DP photoshoot but we had another shoot at 1.35 and was hoping at that moment to get David done before going to that on, to try and slot ourselves in)

No he didn't! Peter Capaldi did though and commented on it saying how he loved the Northern Irish accent because of how similar our dialect is to Scottish.  

Just now, EllaBlair said:

No he didn't! Peter Capaldi did though and commented on it saying how he loved the Northern Irish accent because of how similar our dialect is to Scottish.  

Awk, now that makes it worse that I didn't get to meet Peter! lol

Yeah, we didn't know if he would or not because of the WDYTYA connection but thought he might've done, he didn't mention it with us but thought he might do for yourselves.

3 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

Awk, now that makes it worse that I didn't get to meet Peter! lol

Yeah, we didn't know if he would or not because of the WDYTYA connection but thought he might've done, he didn't mention it with us but thought he might do for yourselves.

You're making me want to watch his episode of that again it was such a good episode! We had a lovely chat with David regardless, asked him what persuaded him to come so last minute. He said Showmasters called him yesterday morning, I guess as a last ditch attempt, saying they got Peter Davison and asking if he would come. He called Peter up to check if he was coming and then agreed. Hence the late announcement!

Please please please try to get David for another event with a bit more warning!  I was staying in a hotel last night when I saw the announcement, but couldn't get  on the ticket site due to the terrible hotel wi-fi.  I really hope after today he'll agree to more cons

• Thanks 1

Is David Tennant the friendliest person in the world? I think so.

Even though he had huge demand, he took the time to speak personally to everyone in the queue and was really genuine and interested, whilst also managing to get through a sizeable number of VQ tickets (I heard from someone he got to about 200 on VQ as well as seeing all the Diamond Passes?).

• Like 3

13 hours ago, PrehistoricCat said:

Please please please try to get David for another event with a bit more warning!  I was staying in a hotel last night when I saw the announcement, but couldn't get  on the ticket site due to the terrible hotel wi-fi.  I really hope after today he'll agree to more cons

I agree - great to have a photo but all the things that I had for him to sign were at home.

3 hours ago, Nerd Who said:

The only thing I’d like to point out for the future - and this might not be the best place, but it did mainly apply to David’s photos - photo tickets sold at the sales desk do need a batch number written down.

This would have been a special case as David was only announced during the show.  Normally, sales at the show would automatically end up being later batches so would be scheduled for the end of the shoot.

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, Astro_Nut said:

This would have been a special case as David was only announced during the show.  Normally, sales at the show would automatically end up being later batches so would be scheduled for the end of the shoot.

Nerd Who, Astro Nut is correct this is normally the case but as David’s attendance was VERY last minute things were slightly different to how we’d prefer them to be.

• Like 1

Missed out on the chance to get a photo with David although I did lay eyes on him at the event. Really glad to see people overjoyed at getting the photos with him seems like I'll have to chase David to the US lol. On a final note a big congratulations to SM for being the first convention to get all 4 Modern Doctors!

• Like 4

I come from Bathgate where David was born. I’m not normally that chatty with guests but when I told him he kept asking question after question. Where did I live? Was such and such a shop still there? How’s the town looking these days? I found out he lived about 3 mins walk away from where I do and he learned to drive on the roads around my house. It made the interaction a bit more normal than usual rather than trying to think of things to say (which I can’t which is why I’m not chatty LOL). It’s a weird quirk us Scots seem to have when we meet other Scots in foreign countries (yes London is foreign ;)) we always end up talking about home. Same thing happened with Jimmy Vee, Capaldi and Moffat this weekend.

Yea this announcement was typical, I had only just arrived at the Hotel when I saw the announcement and it was funny before I went online I was watching the ending of St Trinians and was like 'Wouldn't it be cool to get Tennant?' then I logged online and saw this lol

Unfortunately I never managed to get a DP for him and tbh with what I had already booked for that day it may of been a blessing that I missed out as I would of had to cancel someone on my list to make room for Tennant, which I personally didn't want to do.

I did try to get in early for a VQ but somehow despite it being only 10am when I got in the VQ was already at 400+. I ended up with VQ 438 iirc and the crew at his table told us the queue was closed at 400 which was typical, so close lol

Yea I really hope Tennant will return so I can complete my Doctor Who collection

• 3 weeks later...