Guest Cancellation - Val Kilmer

Proper gutted but what can you do, it happens, I was checking everyday waiting for him to drop out, I guess it's harder to take as he was announced late and hung in there with just a few days to go, but they have to go and act, it's their job 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, etikut99 said:

Proper gutted but what can you do, it happens, I was checking everyday waiting for him to drop out, I guess it's harder to take as he was announced late and hung in there with just a few days to go, but they have to go and act, it's their job 

That's true. It's disappointed. How can you get a replacement in a few hours? It looks like this was known earlier.. 

2 minutes ago, Deftrix said:

That's true. It's disappointed. How can you get a replacement in a few hours? It looks like this was known earlier.. 

Showmasters will do everything they can to try to make sure there is no options but to have a guest cancel and let us know as soon as they can. No need to start any conspiracy theories.

Edited by Wrong Name
  • Like 1

This is the danger of Showmasters booking so many actors currently shooting, but hey that’s what us fans want! Actors are always at the mercy of their particular studio. Nothing can be done about it. This is the reality of cons. Shame for me but I’ve spent so damned much this year my bank manager will be delighted by this cancellation

It’s getting beyond a joke... I know that Showmasters can’t  be blamed for cancellations but as a first time goer at a con, it’s putting me off a lot. We were going a birthday gift for a family member... we’d book photos with all the BSG cast (6 photos and only 1 is attending now), we bought a photo with Val Kilmer only this afternoon to replace 2 BSG cancellations now he cancels... that’s 6 cancellations and photos lost. My dad is know left gutted and our original point of attending is gone (he’s a huge BSG fan) 

Showmasters ought to have tighter contracts with the guests to stop the high amount of cancellations. That’s a lot of people who are now upset and missing out on what could be a once in a lifetime chance. 

It just stings a little cause we’ve spent a lot of money and are travelling quite far and it’s turning into near nothing. 

• Like 3

They can't tighten their contracts if it means stopping an actor from attending their job, @ChloeLouise. Their job will always come first over their free time attending a convention. If SM tightened their contracts, fewer guests would be prepared to attend as it might mean losing out on a job and therefore losing out on a role in a big movie, for example, so it's perfectly understandable if they cancel for this and it's normal for this level of cancelled guests each year. It sucks, of course it does, but as I said, their job comes first. :smile:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

They can't tighten their contracts if it means stopping an actor from attending their job, @ChloeLouise. Their job will always come first over their free time attending a convention. If SM tightened their contracts, fewer guests would be prepared to attend as it might mean losing out on a job and therefore losing out on a role in a big movie, for example, so it's perfectly understandable if they cancel for this and it's normal for this level of cancelled guests each year. It sucks, of course it does, but as I said, their job comes first. :smile:

True but this is a job. They’re getting paid to attend, it mignt not be a film/tv but it’s still a job. And it’s good PR for them.

I understand that Showmasters can’t control  what the guest does but surely it’s important for the guest to see fans/ show face. The guests know what they are signing up for so surely they should keep it free, there are other guests who are filming atm, e.g Peter Capaldi, but they’re still attending and how kept the days they’re attending free. I know it isn’t always possible due to stuff like re-shoots etc but it’s still a job and giving another a couple of days notice is not good. I’m waiting for £130 refund for 3 cancellations for my dad and that wouldn’t come in time for Saturday when we attend (I know refunds take time) but it just looks bad and knocks a lot of excitement and confidence out for Showmasters from the attendees.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChloeLouise said:

True but this is a job. They’re getting paid to attend, it mignt not be a film/tv but it’s still a job. And it’s good PR for them.

I understand that Showmasters can’t control  what the guest does but surely it’s important for the guest to see fans/ show face. The guests know what they are signing up for so surely they should keep it free, there are other guests who are filming atm, e.g Peter Capaldi, but they’re still attending and how kept the days they’re attending free. I know it isn’t always possible due to stuff like re-shoots etc but it’s still a job and giving another a couple of days notice is not good. 

It depends on the contract an actor has with the studio/production company. I'm no expert but I'm guessing the SM contract states the guest is contracted to appear so long as they are not called in for filming or other commitments. Like someone else said, SM probably need that leverage in the contract otherwise the guests will NOT accept it. They need a 'get out of jail' card.

Attending a con is a job, yes, but its a casual job whereas an actor's priority is acting - its their career. And a studio or production company's priority is their film, they really don't care about the little people...trust me, THE SHOW MUST GO ON. I worked in the industry on a few movies (as a background artist) and they are mercilessly ruthless about cancelling/rescheduling filming dates at the drop of a hat without giving an ounce of consideration to the little people.

Edited by nicky
  • Like 1