Photo orientation

Same here, I had no idea you could request portrait or landscape until I was in the Nathalie Emmanuel photo queue on Friday morning and once in sight of Nathalie a perv a couple of places ahead of me proudly announced, "cor, this is gonna be a portrait".....:wacko:  Landscape always for me.

26 minutes ago, MVronsky78 said:

Same here, I had no idea you could request portrait or landscape until I was in the Nathalie Emmanuel photo queue on Friday morning and once in sight of Nathalie a perv a couple of places ahead of me proudly announced, "cor, this is gonna be a portrait".....:wacko:  Landscape always for me.

I've heard guests say that when they see me. It's so demeaning.

I tend to ask for portrait depending on height of the guest and if I do a pose where they hug me from behind. Like with James callis we were similar height so it looked better portrait. Also with Jason he was a foot taller than me so landscape would have looked stupid, plus he hugged me from behind. No photographer has said no to me yet, I just ask nicely. 

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:09 PM, Firecracker said:

I think any good photographer would bear in mind difference in height, and also outfit. Someone who's much taller would mean an unbalanced photo, so they'd swap to portrait. Someone with a great cosplay or a t-shirt logo or prop (which wouldn't be seen in landscape) would need portrait to show them off.

Yeah I would have definitely assumed that, but it seems at SM events you have to specifically ask even in these cases (unless it's a prop shoot that suits portrait better) - both from my (and friends') experience and checking out the digital photo gallery. But I finally twigged you can actually ask to have it taken your preferred way, and I'm really happy with the result this time :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Raylenth said:

Well yes, it's a tardis shoot after all, it has to have the tardis in it

I do appreciate what you're saying and expected the shoot to be portrait for that exact reason but I was not interested in seeing full length shot of the Tardis which is why I personally wanted the landscape. purely my option or at least should have been. And in case anyone wonders why have a Tardis shoot if I wasn't bothered about the Tardis being in it, simple answer I wasn't given the option with diamond pass. I'd have much preferred to choose standard blue background photo but was once again bluntly told no. Still, I wouldn't have missed the opportunity for anything and it's not a bad overall photo at all.

1 minute ago, chewer said:

I do appreciate what you're saying and expected the shoot to be portrait for that exact reason but I was not interested in seeing full length shot of the Tardis which is why I personally wanted the landscape. purely my option or at least should have been. And in case anyone wonders why have a Tardis shoot if I wasn't bothered about the Tardis being in it, simple answer I wasn't given the option with diamond pass. I'd have much preferred to choose standard blue background photo but was once again bluntly told no. Still, I wouldn't have missed the opportunity for anything and it's not a bad overall photo at all.

No one wonders that, we know it's the one included in the Diamond and you can't swap.

5 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

No one wonders that, we know it's the one included in the Diamond and you can't swap.

no but the point is it should be my choice if I request how I want my photograph taken. simple really.

7 minutes ago, chewer said:

no but the point is it should be my choice if I request how I want my photograph taken. simple really.

The camera wasn't fixed to a tripod for the TARDIS shoot was it? I know it was for the Green Screen shoots in that area. If it was, then that would explain why landscape was not allowed on this occasion. If it wasn't on a tripod then I can only assume it was due to the rushed nature of the shoot that they weren't willing to accommodate your request which would normally be fine. 

I know it's another fiver cost, but if you download the digital copy once available you can crop it to a closer up, landscape pic exactly how you want it. The digital quality is quite high so you can crop it without losing too much sharpness.

1 minute ago, natedammit said:

The camera wasn't fixed to a tripod for the TARDIS shoot was it? I know it was for the Green Screen shoots in that area. If it was, then that would explain why landscape was not allowed on this occasion. If it wasn't on a tripod then I can only assume it was due to the rushed nature of the shoot that they weren't willing to accommodate your request which would normally be fine. 

I know it's another fiver cost, but if you download the digital copy once available you can crop it to a closer up, landscape pic exactly how you want it. The digital quality is quite high so you can crop it without losing too much sharpness.

No the photographer was holding the camera which is why I was so surprised it couldn't be accommodated. I wouldn't have even considered asking if it had been on a tripod as I understand how that would cause delay and hold other people up.... never mind. I still have a photo with Tennant and as you say an option to crop myself so it's all good :-)

• Like 1

You pay a lot of money for photos, so having as much of you and the actor in the photo as possible is surely a good thing, right?

Personally if I was photographing them I'd be giving attendees 3/4 length portrait by default!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CelticRob said:

You pay a lot of money for photos, so having as much of you and the actor in the photo as possible is surely a good thing, right?

Personally if I was photographing them I'd be giving attendees 3/4 length portrait by default!

I really don't disagree with you at all in what you say. Perfect sense. Landscape is just my personal preference based on all my other photo shoots over the years but that choice of shot where possible should be offered quite easily by a professional photographer.

6 hours ago, chewer said:

No the photographer was holding the camera which is why I was so surprised it couldn't be accommodated. I wouldn't have even considered asking if it had been on a tripod as I understand how that would cause delay and hold other people up.... never mind. I still have a photo with Tennant and as you say an option to crop myself so it's all good :-)

I have a feeling the reason it wasn't allowed was because of how tight the space was.
I remember when I was next for the Tardis shoot for Tennant I was worried I'd be in the shot of the picture as the white line on the floor where we got asked to stand was very close to David and the person getting the photo. 

2 hours ago, CelticRob said:

I was wearing shorts. No one needs my legs immortalising in print for posterity.

Or my posterior for those sideways shots! 

1 hour ago, _ItsWilliam_ said:

I have a feeling the reason it wasn't allowed was because of how tight the space was.
I remember when I was next for the Tardis shoot for Tennant I was worried I'd be in the shot of the picture as the white line on the floor where we got asked to stand was very close to David and the person getting the photo. 

Good point