Photo orientation

Hi. I haven't had a photoshoot at a SM convention for a while, and I wanted to check if they still tend to be taken landscape, quite close up (only head and shoulders) rather than portrait? 

I am really looking forward to having a photo with David Duchovny, but I would much prefer it to be taken portrait, and I'm sure people used to advise you ask if you'd prefer it to be taken that way, but I'm worried it'll all happen so quickly there won't be time to ask! And who do you ask - the photographer? The crewmember taking your ticket? It's a lot of money and I just want to be happy with it (in the past I've had photos where my close-up landscape photo looks weird because of the height difference between me and the guest, or if they've hugged me but because of how close up it is you can't see that etc...) I'm scared I'll turn to the photographer to ask and *click* they'll have taken the photo! :unsure: 

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Spookie said:

Hi. I haven't had a photoshoot at a SM convention for a while, and I wanted to check if they still tend to be taken landscape, quite close up (only head and shoulders) rather than portrait? 

I am really looking forward to having a photo with David Duchovny, but I would much prefer it to be taken portrait, and I'm sure people used to advise you ask if you'd prefer it to be taken that way, but I'm worried it'll all happen so quickly there won't be time to ask! And who do you ask - the photographer? The crewmember taking your ticket? It's a lot of money and I just want to be happy with it (in the past I've had photos where my close-up landscape photo looks weird because of the height difference between me and the guest, or if they've hugged me but because of how close up it is you can't see that etc...) I'm scared I'll turn to the photographer to ask and *click* they'll have taken the photo! :unsure: 

Thanks!

I would just quickly ask the photographer

9 hours ago, Queen_Sindel said:

The landscape Setting is Standard, yes. And sorry, but you Need to ask if you want a different set up. The Crew is good, but hasn't quite reached mind reading Status yet. ;) I've always asked the photographer.

I've asked a couple of times before and when it was my turn to step forward I basically ignored the guest and asked the photographer straightaway. Once you are with the guest it's the photographer's job to get a good picture as quickly as possible so it can be awkward to ask them if you are already stood there hugging the guest.

• Thanks 1

I often ask for things taken portrait and likely will this weekend. Check with the crew it's ok then when it's your turn to go up quickly mention it to the photographer then say hi to guest/hand shake or whatever and the rest is simple.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, natedammit said:

I've asked a couple of times before and when it was my turn to step forward I basically ignored the guest and asked the photographer straightaway. Once you are with the guest it's the photographer's job to get a good picture as quickly as possible so it can be awkward to ask them if you are already stood there hugging the guest.

5 hours ago, Charmer said:

I often ask for things taken portrait and likely will this weekend. Check with the crew it's ok then when it's your turn to go up quickly mention it to the photographer then say hi to guest/hand shake or whatever and the rest is simple.

Thank you both very much, that's really helpful advice! And if I simply ask "Could you take it portrait please?" that's enough right, that makes sense? Thanks again!

Edited by Spookie

9 hours ago, Spookie said:

Thank you both very much, that's really helpful advice! And if I simply ask "Could you take it portrait please?" that's enough right, that makes sense? Thanks again!

Yup, that should do it. I do tend to do a sort of 'uppy downy' motion with my fingers (as opposed to 'lefty righty'), but the photographer will know what you mean anyway.

Edited by natedammit
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, natedammit said:

Yup, that should do it. I do tend to do a sort of 'uppy downy' motion with my fingers (as opposed to 'lefty righty'), but the photographer will know what you mean anyway.

I do that too, lol! As if the photographer won't know what I mean, hehe!

If you're still at all worried Spookie, take a look though some of the old shoots on here: https://showmasters.photoshelter.com/

While maybe 80-90% are landscape you'll see that there are portrait pics mixed in where either the person asked for that or in some cases the photographer thought it best to take the photo that way (for example a big difference in height).

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 8:26 AM, natedammit said:

On 7/24/2018 at 9:48 AM, Charmer said:

I do that too, lol! As if the photographer won't know what I mean, hehe!

If you're still at all worried Spookie, take a look though some of the old shoots on here: https://showmasters.photoshelter.com/

While maybe 80-90% are landscape you'll see that there are portrait pics mixed in where either the person asked for that or in some cases the photographer thought it best to take the photo that way (for example a big difference in height).

Thanks guys! Haha yeah, I think my instinct would be to sort of mimic rotating a camera 90 degrees or some such motion, all helps, right? :lol:

Cheers all!

7 hours ago, Starbuck73 said:

Did anyone try this today? Worth trying or not? :unsure:

Worked like a charm! Even Tom Atkins took note and mentioned that again when I was getting his autograph. Definately something I continue to do. (I hadn't tried this earlier either)

• Like 1

I always like landscape so wasn't at all impressed with the female photographer at my David Tennant diamond photo with Tardis shoot. (and i wouldnt have chosen the Tardis shoot had i been given that option to begin with). Upon asking for landscape, I was bluntly told no. I couldnt argue the point because of the speed needed and number of other guests waiting so i let it go but pkease feed this back to this horrid photographer... if i pay a hell of a lot of money and request my photo in a certain way I don't expect that attitude. Don't get her back Showmasters please. Never had this issue ever before in over 200 photo shoots done. Awful photographer.

On 23 July 2018 at 10:51 PM, Spookie said:

Or just told your hand up vertically and make sure the photographer sees you gesture. Sign language often good in a noisy environment!

• Like 1

On 28 July 2018 at 6:08 AM, tenaciouspirit said:

The girl in front of me for Zachary was in a wonder woman cosplay, and the photographer asked her if she wanted it portrait. I'm sure they'd have no problem with you asking them.

I think any good photographer would bear in mind difference in height, and also outfit. Someone who's much taller would mean an unbalanced photo, so they'd swap to portrait. Someone with a great cosplay or a t-shirt logo or prop (which wouldn't be seen in landscape) would need portrait to show them off.

14 hours ago, chewer said:

I always like landscape so wasn't at all impressed with the female photographer at my David Tennant diamond photo with Tardis shoot. (and i wouldnt have chosen the Tardis shoot had i been given that option to begin with). Upon asking for landscape, I was bluntly told no. I couldnt argue the point because of the speed needed and number of other guests waiting so i let it go but pkease feed this back to this horrid photographer... if i pay a hell of a lot of money and request my photo in a certain way I don't expect that attitude. Don't get her back Showmasters please. Never had this issue ever before in over 200 photo shoots done. Awful photographer.

Serious question... do you think maybe they did portrait for the TARDIS shoot because it's a tall thing and if you had a landscape shot you'd only get a bit of blue in the background rather than an amount of it that shows it is the TARDIS? 

3 hours ago, lucykemp21 said:

Serious question... do you think maybe they did portrait for the TARDIS shoot because it's a tall thing and if you had a landscape shot you'd only get a bit of blue in the background rather than an amount of it that shows it is the TARDIS? 

Well yes, it's a tardis shoot after all, it has to have the tardis in it

I actually had no idea that you could ask for portrait during photoshoots, kinda wish I found out about it sooner. It doesn't really bother me though, I still love my pictures its just in a lot of them my shirts are cropped out and I ended up buying a few shirts mainly for this event. I think out of about 7 different photos that I had during the day only 2 of them turned out to be portrait =/