Photoshoots

Sorry I cannot find any information on the photo shoots so thought I would ask here. First time attending so not quite sure what to expect! Just wondering if the photo shoots are actually worth it? Are they a quick take the photo and move on kind of thing?

We have booked them - just wanting to know before we go. ^_^

Yeah, that's usually a few seconds. For like a "hi", quick ask for pose if you want any, shake of hands and "bye". Depends on the guest - biggest guests will be a lot faster, with smaller guests/smaller queues you get maybe up to 10-15 seconds I guess.

Yup. Your chosen guest will have a time and photo booth assigned - the "booths" are closed spaces. You queue, get in, and when it's your turn stand beside the guest for the photo. You can shake their hand, say hi, and most of the time, little else.

As a minimum, you get to take home and show off to your friends a photo of you with your favourite star. Also, you get to interact with them for a few seconds and see them interact with the other fans right before you in the queue - this depends on the guest, but some of them are amazing at making those few seconds memorable.

You can get creative and ask them for a non standard pose and/or bring a prop to use. Most of them will be happy to do something different than the same pose they do with the other 100 attendees, so that will make both the experience and the resultant photo more special!

Not sure if you can tell but I actually love photoshoots :) As spengler says, only you can answer the question if they are worth it to you.

If what you want is a proper (but most of the time, very quick) chat with the guest, it's preferable to get their autograph, even if you aren't that interesting in collecting their actual signatures.

• Like 1

Whilst the moment you have with a celebrity is fleeting, sometimes a few seconds, you do get the opportunity to see the celebrity taking photos with other fans, usually 10-20 in front of you - it's always nice seeing how happy other fans are when they are getting their photos.

• Like 3

It is brief but in my opinion totally worth it, I love looking back through the photos and smiling that I got to meet them, that there's something concrete there of the encounter and, on a totally girly level, I love that I got to hug some of my favourite actors too ;) it's quick but can be incredibly memorable - Richard dean anderson remembering me from the previous day and throwing his arms open for a hug saying "hello again my love!", dean cain being totally kind and enthusiastic agreeing to a superman pose, Christopher Lloyd being a lovely gentleman saying it was a pleasure when I thanked him for the photo op, little things but wonderful experiences imho :)

• Like 1

I tend to prefer autographs, which offer a better chance to interact, but I will usually go for a photo when it's a very popular guest that I want to guarantee I will see. If you go for an autograph, if the guest is very popular you may not get to see them, but if you have purchased a photo shoot it is guaranteed unless the guest cancels. Of course I could get a guaranteed autograph if I went for a Diamond Pass, but those tend to be too expensive for me (I came close to getting one for Alyson Hannigan last year, but in the end opted for the double photoshoot with Alexis Denisof).

• Like 1

I'd go for them depending on the guest, usually if they are No Photos or not been able to get a photo with the guest when getting their autograph.

Some I've had more than one, usually with the Doctors in different Doctor Who cosplays, or use of a prop/tshirt.

5 minutes ago, Sarah Brown said:

@whitewillow how do you pay for the autographs? I'm guessing this is on the day near the autograph area and they sell out quickly? How much are they usually for popular guests? 

You pay in the queue, cash or vouchers which you can buy with a card on the Sales desk.  They don't sell out but there's no guarantee you will get through the queue depending on how many people are in front of you, for each guest you want to see you need to get a VQ ticket to hold your place in the queue https://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/index.php/2014-09-29-15-24-14/autographs Have a read here for how they work.  So when you get in go and collect any VQ's you need first thing, they are used for all guests who are about £20/25 and over

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 1

I'm a huge fan of Kevin Smith and invested over £100 each for my wife and me to get a Diamond pass. Honestly, it was one of the best decisions I ever made, because he is a hero of mine, and he was amazing. Held his arms out for a hug like we were old friends.

However not ALL guests will be like that. Some of them insist on no contact etc, and you only find out when queuing. There are some horror stories around this, and you can dig it out if you look hard enough. 

I know that Wil Wheaton has germophobia, so wouldn't shake hands, but everyone was made aware and he still posed for great photos with people from what I saw. 

However, this is usually the minority, and most guests understand its a big deal. Rob Zombie once said "it's a few seconds of my life, that I'll likely never remember, but for fans, it's a few seconds and they will remember it for the rest of their life". It's nice that most subscribe to this philosophy. 

Personally, I prefer a photo over an auto. 

Edited by reelbigmartin
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, reelbigmartin said:

I'm a huge fan of Kevin Smith and invested over £100 each for my wife and me to get a Diamond pass. Honestly, it was one of the best decisions I ever made, because he is a hero of mine, and he was amazing. Held his arms out for a hug like we were old friends.

However not ALL guests will be like that. Some of them insist on no contact etc, and you only find out when queuing. There are some horror stories around this, and you can dig it out if you look hard enough. 

I know that Wil Wheaton has germophobia, so wouldn't shake hands, but everyone was made aware and he still posed for great photos with people from what I saw. 

However, this is usually the minority, and most guests understand its a big deal. Rob Zombie once said "it's a few seconds of my life, that I'll likely never remember, but for fans, it's a few seconds and they will remember it for the rest of their life". It's nice that most subscribe to this philosophy. 

Personally, I prefer a photo over an auto. 

Spot on!

2 hours ago, Sarah Brown said:

@whitewillow how do you pay for the autographs? I'm guessing this is on the day near the autograph area and they sell out quickly? How much are they usually for popular guests? 

What Raylenth said. Autograph prices are noted on the guest list for each guest; normally the same as photo prices, but sometimes there is a difference of 10 pounds between photo and autograph.

2 hours ago, Sarah Brown said:

You can pay with cash (Pref £5 and £10..they love you for it) and also with vouchers bought at sales desk inside Olympia. Those can be bought with card or cash..but I would suggest cash at the guest's desk as the queue to sales desk can be long and slow. But remember ONLY cash at guests desk.

Edited by Chris1970

Just now, Chris1970 said:

You can pay with cash (Pref £5 and £10..they love you for it) and also with vouchers bought at sales desk inside Olympia. Those can be bought with card or cash..

I said that ;)

I met one of my favourite wrestlers/knockouts at a photoshoot and they told me, how they are still friends with the wrestler on my t-shirt, also gave awesome pose, so they can definitely be worth it, but don't expect too much as not all guests are same, some will happily pose, others may refuse to be touched.