Michael Reed

Newcastle film and comic con

There is still no news for the Newcastle Film and Comic Con for this year at the Metro Radio Arena no tickets on sale and no updates on their official website I wonder what is going on ?

The mods know as much as us on here, Michael. If there's any news on ticket sales, etc, it'll be posted on here and social media.

I would guess it's not on this year as the dates they have shown is the great North run weekend and most hotels in Newcastle are booked also roads will be closed on the Sunday so can't see many people going then either. Just wish they would say it's not on but I fear that this is probably the end of Newcastle Film And Comic-Con 

Would be gutted if it's not on. There's hardly any cons in the North East.

Hope there are some announcements soon, possibly after LFCC is out of the way. 

Slim chance I would think. 

Sadly. 

The crowds of year one were amazingly good. So people want it if done right thats for sure.

Got to agree, they have left it last minute if it is on that’s for sure, and for what is considered a huge organisation for cons I feel is just bad organisation and unprofessional. Agree with above, first year was amazing but then after that it has just lacked the same enthusiasm and stalls....the smaller local ones have been a treat compared to the empty hall that was last year!

I have been checking every day and the fact the last guest list hasn't been taken down yet makes me believe that it's not happening this year, sadly.  I just wish they would make an official announcement one way or the other as if it is going ahead the turn out is going to be down due to people not having enough time to make travel arrangements etc.

19 hours ago, Setvenharis said:

The October 2017 event (the last one) was disappointing as there were fewer traders than normal, and some people complained online about "knock-off" merchandise traders (printing unofficial t-shirts behind the stall, etc) and every second trader had a wall of Funko-Pops. Also, some of the guests were more background extras wearing masks and in for a second of a movie were not really crowd-pullers. I also think, due to terrorist attacks at Manchester, London and places in the U.S., cosplayers that have prop weaponry as part of their costumes have metaphorically been emasculated with events upping security rules. 

A few independent N.E. conventions that were popular have ended and it's making me think the NE Convention Circuit is coming to a end. Why? I don't know. Maybe it's apathy, maybe it's the financial state of the area, maybe it's the heightened venue security, maybe there isn't any major famous celebs that will travel to the N.E.

I wish we can be notified by the organisers as to what's happening, but I think it won't be on this year. :(

Part of the problem may be the time of year, a lot of series are filming around the time of the conventions so actors won't want to/won't be able to commit to an appearance.  Like you said I just wish they would make an announcement one way or the other.

They've had some great guests at NFCC in the past... James Marsters, Ross Marquand, Pearl Mackie (for her first UK con) and Mark Stanley and Ben Crompton are quite rare GoT signers. 

I think the reason less people have come recently is just due to the guest line-up. I still go for 1-2 guests because I live locally, but I understand why people wouldn't want to travel. 

A couple of £15-20 GoT guests (Tom Wlaschiha, Indira Varma, Dean-Charles Chapman, Art Parkinson, Charles Dance) would get people to come. 

• Like 1

I'm still on holiday that weekend so if it is on I won't be there

I doubt its happening this year.  The date is only 7 weeks away and there's been no advertising or guest announcements.  The Arena is not even acknowledging it on their website.

Maybe next year.

The official twitter feed says this event hasnt been annouced for this year due to a clash with the great north run.

Okay guys. I realize these Twitter news came as a disappointment. But please watch your wording.

Twitter is handled by someone completely different than the forum. I saw the tweet too this morning and messaged a number of people asking for explanations, but I haven't heard back yet.

The forum will be updated once the office has confirmed. 

I was also dissapointed when I saw the tweet as it confirmed what we sadly suspected for some time now. Please do not take it out on queen sindel or anyone on the forum as I'm sure something official will be released to explain shortly.