London Overground Heads-Up

My friend always used to call the lines by their colours which was a pain. He’d say we needed to “take the green line left bound”, and it rubbed off on the rest of us as I still say stuff like that sometimes.

Edited by Wrong Name

I on the other hand have been using the London Tube so much since I started coming to Comic Con that I have begun to learn the names of the lines. Not all of them, but I know  the ones I use most often. I also have an Oyster Card even though I don't live in the UK.

Edited by whitewillow

OK, so I need a little help from someone who knows London buses. I will be coming from Kensal Rise (near the station). The TfL website recommends getting the 187 or 52 bus to Station Terrace, and then the 28 bus to Kensington Olympia. Now the problem is there are some status alerts for these bus lines:

1. Changes to Route 187 at Kensal Rise from Sunday 1 July until Saturday 25 August: Buses towards Central Middlesex Hospital are diverted between Banister Road and Wrottlesey Road, and do not serve Chamberlayne Road, Kensal Rise Station, Liddell Gardens, Doyle Gardens and All Souls Avenue. Buses operate via Kilburn Lane and Harrow Road instead
  2. Changes to Route 52 at Kensal Rise from Saturday 1 July until Saturday 25 August: Buses towards Willesden, Bus Garage are diverted between Ladbroke Grove, Sainsburys and Sidmouth Parade, and do not serve Kilburn Lane. Kensal Rise Station or Chamberlayne Road. Buses operate via Harrow Road, Wrottlesey Road and All Souls Avenue instead. Buses serve additional temporary stops in All Souls Avenue near Holland Road and Hardinge Road
  3. Changes to Routes 28 and 452 at Kensal Rise from Sunday 1 July until Saturday 25 August: Buses towards Kensal Rise do not serve Kilburn Lane or Chamberlayne Road, between Kilburn Lane and Kensal Rise Station. Buses operate via Harrow Road, Wrottlesley Road, All Souls Avenue, Doyle Gardens, Liddell Gardens and the northern section of Chamberlayne Road. Buses serve an additional temporary stop in All Souls Avenue near Holland Road.

Unfortunately I can't figure out if these changes affect me. I don't know if they affect the bus I will be getting towards Kensington Olympia, or the one in the opposite direction (I don't mind the opposite direction, because I will be going to a play after LFCC so won't take the same route home). Anyone out there can enlighten me? Thanks!

Edit: just remembered there is a map section on the TfL website and it contains bus maps. Using this I have determined that the problems are for the opposite direction, NOT towards Kensington Olympia, so I'm OK with the bus. Sorry to bother everyone!

Edited by whitewillow

1 hour ago, charliechuck71 said:

OK i arrive into London Euston from Glasgow so i should take the Victoria line to earls court and change for Olympia right? i hope this route is not affected, this is how i done it last year.

Should be as that will be the District line but it's usually only on weekends.

2 hours ago, charliechuck71 said:

OK i arrive into London Euston from Glasgow so i should take the Victoria line to earls court and change for Olympia right? i hope this route is not affected, this is how i done it last year.

Victoria line doesn’t go to Earls Court. You’ll need to change at Victoria for the District line there, westbound to Earls Court. I’d say you had another option in getting off at Oxford Circus, going west on the Central line to Shepherds Bush, and then down on the Overground, but apparently that overground line section is under engineering works Saturday/Sunday, and thus won’t be viable.

Edited by Mayhem

9 hours ago, Mayhem said:

Victoria line doesn’t go to Earls Court. You’ll need to change at Victoria for the District line there, westbound to Earls Court. I’d say you had another option in getting off at Oxford Circus, going west on the Central line to Shepherds Bush, and then down on the Overground, but apparently that overground line section is under engineering works Saturday/Sunday, and thus won’t be viable.

Alternatively, if you're arriving on Friday (when the Earl's Court to Kensington Olympia bit isn't working),  you could change to the Piccadilly line at Green Park, go to Barons Court and walk from there. It's 10-15'.

12 hours ago, Mayhem said:

cheers for the heads up Mayhem! yeah that's what i meant to say i'm coming on the saturday morning so when i arrive at Euston i will get myself to earls court via the district line, then onto olympia :)

Edited by charliechuck71

Hi, I am coming in from Stratford London station - does this affect the central line which I was going to take to Shepherds bush direct then walk to Olympia? I have not used the London over/under ground for years, so a complete novice in this area... help! :(

45 minutes ago, Kristian said:

Hi, I am coming in from Stratford London station - does this affect the central line which I was going to take to Shepherds bush direct then walk to Olympia? I have not used the London over/under ground for years, so a complete novice in this area... help! :(

Nope, the Central Line is good so far. Unless something changes you're good.

1 minute ago, whitewillow said:

Nope, the Central Line is good so far. Unless something changes you're good.

thank you WhiteWillow :)

whats the walk like from Shepherds bush to the Olympia? or would you advise us to go an alternative tube route, my dad with me is 71 years old, so I'm sure he would prefer not to walk and sit on a train/tube and chill for a little longer if it means less walking :)

7 minutes ago, Kristian said:

thank you WhiteWillow :)

whats the walk like from Shepherds bush to the Olympia? or would you advise us to go an alternative tube route, my dad with me is 71 years old, so I'm sure he would prefer not to walk and sit on a train/tube and chill for a little longer if it means less walking :)

Just over a mile.. if it is hot it might be suitable maybe with a taxi..just an idea. And with the bike race it might be different, not sure. I walked between last year and it took me something like 20-25 minutes.

34 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

On Sunday I travel by underground to Victoria. At Victoria I have to get a train to Gatwick airport. Any specifics on what to get?

Yes, the Gatwick Express for the most part ;)

To add, the service runs every 15 minutes and takes about 30 minutes to get there. Note that some services then carry on further south to the coast, and don’t terminate at Gatwick, so make sure you get off in plenty of time ;) 

i know this is the wrong thread ( but can't find anything anywhere else) does anyone know when the schedule for the photo shoots are being released? as i am coming down only for a few hrs then heading back home to Glasgow by train, just coming down to meet Nick castle!

2 hours ago, charliechuck71 said:

i know this is the wrong thread ( but can't find anything anywhere else) does anyone know when the schedule for the photo shoots are being released? as i am coming down only for a few hrs then heading back home to Glasgow by train, just coming down to meet Nick castle!

That photo op schedule wont be around until a week up to 10 days before it begins.