London Overground Heads-Up

Found this on the London Transport site:

https://tfl.gov.uk/tube-dlr-overground/status

It seems the Overground route to the nearby Kensington station will be closed between Willesden and Clapham Junctions on the Saturday and Sunday. District line will still be running but one may need to seek alternative routes i.e. buses or walking from other nearby stations.

Fortunately, I.m staying at a different hotel rather than the one I stayed at the last 2 years in which I used said route.

Edited by Sebster118
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

That's a bit of a pain, my normal route too. I've walked from Earls court to Waterloo before (not even my longest walk through London) but I think it will be too hot to do that again

22 minutes ago, CosmicAvatar said:

Ack.  Thanks for the heads-up.  I think I'll be able to get by via the District Line instead, fortunately, although it might affect my arrival time.

Yes, District down to Wimbledon might be an option 

1 hour ago, VikingGrrrl said:

No no no no no no no! I need that train to get to the airport! :crying:

That might work for you too - District (change at Earls Court) down to Wimbledon, then an 5-7 minute train over back to Clapham Junction.

Edited by TerraHawk
  • Thanks 1

In trying to plan ahead for wheelchair access I'll be coming into Kings Cross from Leeds. The step free tube map suggests to me taking the Piccadilly line down to Earls Court and from there it's only a short walk to the Hilton on the same road as the Olympia. Assuming there are crossing points on that road during Ride London on Saturday when I go back, can someone please double check my logic on this (assuming you have announced more knowledge about London than I do, which isn't exactly difficult...)?

Edited by robmoriarty

22 minutes ago, Chris1970 said:

Flying to and from?

Gatwick

Can't check for Sunday on the travel planner yet, but when I checked for the Saturday it says this is the fastest route: District line to Earl's Court, district line to Victoria, then Southern to Gatwick. So the people who actually have knowledge about traveling in London, is this a good route? Or any other suggestions?

5 minutes ago, VikingGrrrl said:

Gatwick

Can't check for Sunday on the travel planner yet, but when I checked for the Saturday it says this is the fastest route: District line to Earl's Court, district line to Victoria, then Southern to Gatwick. So the people who actually have knowledge about traveling in London, is this a good route? Or any other suggestions?

Ok, I am going by Heathrow. Never flown by Gatwick so sorry not much of help. I hope it work out for you. 

Edited by Chris1970

10 minutes ago, VikingGrrrl said:

Gatwick

Yes, I would say this is your best bet. The Transport for London journey planner doesn't go up to the Sunday of LFCC yet but as long as Gatwick Express is working from Victoria you will be fine. One thing I might suggest, depending on how much luggage you will have, is walking to Earl's Court as it should take no longer than 15 mins which can be quicker than waiting for the tube to go between Olympia and there. Up to you though.

Edited by Wrong Name
  • Thanks 1

Thankfully doesnt impact me this time, as long as they dont break the district line at the same time. 

Now for some rare helpful advice from me, If you have an smart phone, get Citymapper (https://citymapper.com/company?lang=en), its a free app, but ties into the TFL website and can do route planning and live journey mapping, with station alerts. Its helped me navigate London really well in the last couple of years. As well as other cities around the world. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up! I’m only planning on going Friday so far, but if that changes, then very useful to know. My route has been up to Clapham and then the Overground to Olympia because it’s way quicker and more frequent than anything else.

9 hours ago, VikingGrrrl said:

Gatwick

It’s the easiest route. Sunday trains run less often, especially from Olympia, but that would be the way, the Gatwick Express begins at Victoria. You’d want the right hand section of the platforms, there’s a big sign saying where you need to go to catch it heh. Despite all the problems with Southern (and my journey INTO London will be via them!), the GE tends to be one of the least affected.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies! :D

My only experience with public transport in London was last year when I attended the con. Then we puchased our train tickets online and picked them up at the airport when we arrived. Planing on doing that this year as well. Now with my travel route including the tube I tried to read up on ticket options for it. As I understand it's possible to buy paper tickets for the tube at a machine at the station. I know that it's more expensive, but don't really want to go about getting a Oyster card for just that little trip and I dont wish to use contactless payment card.

There are self service machines at the stations that take card and cash. They are normally a tad more expensive than unlimited travel based options, although you may be able to get one at those machines. 

I tend to stick with Google-Pay for getting me through the gates, which is quite handy, but I can understand if you are hessitent to use that. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dreamsphere said:

Will this affect the train from heathrow to earls court? 

Depends which train Dream.   I'd imagine from H to EC you are intending to use the Piccadilly line?  That's not the Overground so should be fine.

I think so? lol. you'd think after years of traveling on the tube i'd be used to knowing the names of the routes i'm taking by now! also, from earls court to the olympia should be ok right? cause i got used to using that train dressed as chaplin but dont think ill be brave enough to grab a bus lol. i'm pretty sure thats an overground, not sure, maybe is though

6 minutes ago, Dreamsphere said:

I think so? lol. you'd think after years of traveling on the tube i'd be used to knowing the names of the routes i'm taking by now! also, from earls court to the olympia should be ok right? cause i got used to using that train dressed as chaplin but dont think ill be brave enough to grab a bus lol. i'm pretty sure thats an overground, not sure, maybe is though

That is District line so you should be ok (and I’m sure you know that’s on weekends only). Olympia is about 20 minutes walk away from Earl’s Court.

I took the bus a couple of times cosplaying as the 7th Doctor myself.

14 minutes ago, Dreamsphere said:

It gets confusing because E Court to O is above ground but it's still the District line, therefore the Underground.  The Overground is actually the name of train lines but they are proper trains, as opposed to tubes.