Latest Guest Announcement - PETER WELLER

Any idea how busy Peter's line is today? I'm not there today but when I gave up and left yesterday (17:30) he hadn't even signed for 100 people. Disappointing and I think he needs a Diamond Pass if he ever attends again. He was the main reason I came.

Are there any other options now? Have I missed the boat on getting one signed and mailed to me?

1 hour ago, crazydan182 said:

Any idea how busy Peter's line is today? I'm not there today but when I gave up and left yesterday (17:30) he hadn't even signed for 100 people. Disappointing and I think he needs a Diamond Pass if he ever attends again. He was the main reason I came.

Are there any other options now? Have I missed the boat on getting one signed and mailed to me?

Preorders closed a while ago, sorry.

I thought Peter was great. We had a great chat about the RoboCop outfit and how he had to learn to act in Slow-Mo for the part. The only small gripe I have, is that there were no ‘proper’ RoboCop pictures provided to be signed. I know I could, and should have brought one with me, but I did expect there to be a good selection. 

2 hours ago, kings1 said:

I thought Peter was great. We had a great chat about the RoboCop outfit and how he had to learn to act in Slow-Mo for the part. The only small gripe I have, is that there were no ‘proper’ RoboCop pictures provided to be signed. I know I could, and should have brought one with me, but I did expect there to be a good selection. 

You know why don't you - I swapped my photo and the woman in front of me also swapped hers for a full face on robocop photo that was sitting at the desk he was at.

Staff said a trader had purchased these and were needed to be signed. 

I'm not kidding here - there must of been about 40 - 60 photos all robocop and im guessing all from the 1st choose your photo table.

Edited by S.H.R.E.K
  • Sad 1

On 7/30/2018 at 9:45 PM, kings1 said:

He obviously liked you allot more than he liked me. He couldn't even look me in the eye! 

Edited by frazamataz1978

My experience with him was fine, but I wasn't looking to engage him particularly.  He signed my poster, put the character name on it without having to ask him to do it, I said thank you for coming blah blah blah and that was it.  But he did look at me after he finished signing.

• Like 1

He was generally OK with me. He did say Hi but he did snap at me a little bit which was probably my fault anyway being too fussy. I had 2 items and I wanted different pens used for each (my own pens) and my Scottish accent didn’t help him understand what I was asking for as I tried to hurry and explained everything all at once and a little too fast. I had a flattened Funko Pop box which as many of you know the plastic curves round the side from the front. When flat this is all one big area so I was trying to explain that it’s a box so if he could stay in this front area so it doesn’t go round the corner (as James Caan had done earlier) and to demonstrate what I meant I picked it up to make it a box shape again briefly just as he was about to sign it. He snapped “Dammit guy just tell me what the hell you want!” 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ravogd said:

He was generally OK with me. He did say Hi but he did snap at me a little bit which was probably my fault anyway being too fussy. I had 2 items and I wanted different pens used for each (my own pens) and my Scottish accent didn’t help him understand what I was asking for as I tried to hurry and explained everything all at once and a little too fast. I had a flattened Funko Pop box which as many of you know the plastic curves round the side from the front. When flat this is all one big area so I was trying to explain that it’s a box so if he could stay in this front area so it doesn’t go round the corner (as James Caan had done earlier) and to demonstrate what I meant I picked it up to make it a box shape again briefly just as he was about to sign it. He snapped “Dammit guy just tell me what the hell you want!” 

Advice for the future, cover with post its the bits you don't want signed, leave a blank area where you want the auto

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ravogd said:

In situations like that, I find it a good idea to mark off the area you want signed using post it notes and add a little message saying “please sign here in gold” or whatever. It can really help the guest out.

• Thanks 1

I wasn't expecting Peter Weller to be fan friendly (same with James Caan and Miranda Richardson) but I was pleased to meet him and after he raved about the film 'Tom Jones' in his talk, managed a minute or two's conversation about the films of Tony Richardson and some of the great British stars and films of the early 60s.

Much as I was pleased to meet Caan and Richardson as well - but as people who likely view themselves as 'serious artists', I can't imagine signing Funko Pops is their idea of a good time.  It's just the reality of the situation.  That's what makes it such a delight when other big stars are more receptive to all aspects of con-dom ;):D

On 7/31/2018 at 12:31 AM, S.H.R.E.K said:

You know why don't you - I swapped my photo and the woman in front of me also swapped hers for a full face on robocop photo that was sitting at the desk he was at.

Staff said a trader had purchased these and were needed to be signed. 

I'm not kidding here - there must of been about 40 - 60 photos all robocop and im guessing all from the 1st choose your photo table.

To be honest, this is the type of behaviour that should be barred from the event and prevents true fans from getting what they want. I heard that when Caroline Blakiston was last at an event a lot of her Star Wars pictures were supposedly kept under the table because of being purchased by dealers. Apparently she took them out, starting signing them for people in the queue that wanted them. Then informed the person who said that the pictures had been bought by dealers, that they'd simply have to go and print more.

It was hard to get into the queue but eventually we were lucky.

You had to pay five quid extra to get a RoboCop quote added, which was kinda sad, but okay.

In the end he was friendly. I asked him if he knew about the direct RoboCop (1987) sequel. He did, but did not comment on it.

Maybe he is involved in a cameo of some sort or maybe it is nothing.

Me and my wife knew he studied Italian Renaissance and he spoke the language, but he could also speak South American spanish.

My wife has italian ancestors so he spoke a bit of italian and spanish. It was fun, but all was too brief.

20 hours ago, Ravogd said:

Ouch! No excuse for this IMO, regardless of how you may have demonstrated you wanted your item signed...if anything sounds like you were being helpful.

I met him only by the skin of my teeth on Saturday afternoon after queuing for the better part of an hour. I had VT 297 and he seemed to take forever to get through the numbers. Now that I've heard of dealers taking the p*** with him and other guests, it all makes a bit more sense.

When I was finally in front of him he had his phone in his hand, head down 'ignoring' me. I'm big on manners and for a second felt maybe this was a bit rude, but I took a moment to mentally step back, appreciate he doesn't need to be here, and maybe he just needed a break. Anyway, I stood waiting, then he blurted out "that Duchovny's a funny guy," then he starts angrily tapping the screen repeatedly "how do you get this damn thing to copy?!" and he put the phone down exasperated. I told him I was crap with phones too and he looked up, I stuck my hand out, said "Hi Dr. Weller" and he greeted me and asked how I was.

I brought him a Robocop pic to sign and I paid the extra fiver to have a quote from the film. As for those above griping over that, get a grip! He was more than happy to add a personalisation (which I also got) for free, but I think that guests writing film quotes goes far above and beyond what should be expected of them at these insanely busy events. If he wants a fiver in his back pocket to make my autograph epic, he can have it. I wish more guests offered this.

And something I didn't realise until today... I asked him to put: "Dead or alive you're coming with me" (which I had written down on a slip of paper when I passed him the photograph to sign). He actually wrote down "Dead or alive you are coming with me" - and I went away thinking he'd messed up the quote, but still grateful all the same. Anyway, just watching Robocop again and when he is Murphy, before getting shot up, he says "you're" and later in the film when he is Robocop the line was modified to "you are". Well Dr. Weller can have my apologies. I have been lucky to get some great quotes on my autographs over the years but most actors can't even remember their own dialogue. He had obviously not forgotten and it really impresses me he could remember that nuance over 30+ years later.

After he had done signing I said that I had heard he was into academia now (knowing that is his passion), told him I'd done an Arts degree also and he got very animated, thrust his arm out to shake my hand again and near enough shouted "good for you!" I thanked him and went on my way.

He seemed a somewhat brusque character at the signing desk. But he just seemed a no-nonsense, his-own-man kind of guy who wasn't all about the PR many of these shows bring the guests. The lady taking cash for the autos said they had told him earlier to stop charging the extra money for quotes but he happily carried on doing what he wanted anyway. I like him all the more if only for that!

TL,DR: I really enjoyed meeting the man. Not the chattiest, a bit of a tough nut to crack, but I thought I made the effort being patient/respectful with him, talking about something he was interested in/proud of and he was polite, gave me a good interaction and great autograph. Sometimes I think some attendees expect too much or simply don't put in enough effort to tailor their interactions beyond "Hi!" A conversation takes two afterall.

Edited by Dent_1
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Dent_1 said:

And something I didn't realise until today... I asked him to put: "Dead or alive you're coming with me" (which I had written down on a slip of paper when I passed him the photograph to sign). He actually wrote down "Dead or alive you are coming with me" - and I went away thinking he'd messed up the quote, but still grateful all the same. Anyway, just watching Robocop again and when he is "you're" and later in the film when he is Robocop the line was modified to "you are". Well Dr. Weller can have my apologies. I have been lucky to get some great quotes on my autographs over the years but most actors can't even remember their own dialogue. He had obviously not forgotten and it really impresses me he could remember that nuance over 30+ years later.

Yep, that's correct! He first says the line as Alex Murphy when he is apprehending Emil after shooting the other guy shortly after arriving with Lewis at the steel mill, then later he says the same line again as Robocop to Emil at the gas station but this time he says: 'Dead or alive, YOU ARE coming with me'!!

Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea of having to prompt the guest in writing something scripted. It takes away any imagination they might have had and its not really from the heart and there's no thought in it from them; so its not really 'personal'.

I asked George Romero once to write something unique on my Land of the Dead poster (not "stay scared" like he did everyone else) and he didn't know what to write so I just told him to write 'whatever sums up your thoughts about the making of the film'. He chuckled and wrote, "We'll never pull this f-ing thing off!"

Edited by nicky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nicky said:

Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea of having to prompt the guest in writing something scripted. It takes away any imagination they might have had and its not really from the heart and there's no thought in it from them; so its not really 'personal'.

I asked George Romero once to write something unique on my Land of the Dead poster (not "stay scared" like he did everyone else) and he didn't know what to write so I just told him to write 'whatever sums up your thoughts about the making of the film'. He chuckled and wrote, "We'll never pull this f-ing thing off!"

OMG, can you send me a photo of his autograph? :D I would looooove to see that :wub: