Opinions on the day Sat

homerj

photo area B issues mentioned elsewhere asides...

my only real surprize was how messy the auto queues were. Never do they get out of hand, they are always well organised and of all the events I go to Showmasters are the ones that have always been the best at controlling these. It all got out of hand on Saturday though, there was long lines all around taking up lots of room and preventing people passing through properly. Not helped by seemingly having less space (I'm sure the area for signing was pushed further back last year)

VQ tickets were accepted for up to 150 for Danny Glover when there was only really need to be up to 50 for the time he was taking as the space available...

Genuinely surprised me that it got like that because as I said, I rarely see it get out of hand (families queuing together for 1 person getting an auto doesn't help)

I got everything I went for though, so no massive complaints all in. Just hope it is back to normal come LFCC

• Like 1

an enjoyable day but please make the hall larger,we all don't want to keep walking through endless lines of people waiting for autographs,also where was the bar for a beer?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, malc75 said:

an enjoyable day but please make the hall larger,we all don't want to keep walking through endless lines of people waiting for autographs,also where was the bar for a beer?

The bar was at the far end by the toilets/food area. 

Good show overall.

Main comment is in similar vein to what others have posted - crew members being rude and butting in on the guests. One particular instance where a guest was posing for photos over the table quite agreeable and happy, yet a crew member insisted on interrupting, jumping up & trying to clearly stop it going on, and on at least one occasion appeared to attempt to grab a camera (surely an act that comes with the very real possibility of physically assaulting the attendee). The guest looked totally embarrassed about the whole thing, yet the crew member simply stated they "didn't want" pictures taken - something about an equal opportunist would do the same to everyone! 

I'm actually getting used to this, seen similar situations a few times. Not quite the same as a few years ago, at the MK stadium, where a guest drew something of a crowd when he got so incensed with a crew member trying to stop him taking pictures with guests, he bellowed quite loudly & I genuinely thought he was seconds away from cleaning the crew member's clock, so to speak. Seems to be becoming more common, nonetheless. 

Unfortunately if a sign is up "no posed photos" the crew member's job is to refuse photo requests. If attendees keep pushing the matter with the guest directly then yes, on occasion it may look like the crew member is "interrupting." I also really can't see a crew member taking a decision about "no photos" on their own - maybe they had been told already and the sign wasn't up yet. 

Grabbing a camera is of course not in order. If you see something like this happen on the day please say something to the pit boss or on the Organisers Booth. Then it can be stopped.

In my experience the biggest misconception that usually happens in this type of situation is people assume the “no posed photos” has been put up by the guest. Sometimes it is a showmasters decision and the guest either forgets or just doesn’t mind still doing them. Showmasters may have made the decision to speed up queues for popular guests so that as many people get to meet them as possible as sometimes guests spend just too much time with each person. Despite the signs being up people will still ask (don’t ask you don’t get right?) and the guest usually obliges. It is up to the crew member to enforce the policy and this can be seen as rude by guests and patrons alike even though they are just doing their job. As with a lot of these things if people would just check the signs all of this could be easily avoided.

I am always happy to follow any "no photos" or "no posed photos" signs but at Collectormania I got in an awkward situation that put a cloud over the event after I watched others in front of me get desk photos with a guest (no signs were present), so while getting my autograph I politely asked too. It's actually something I find difficult doing, but I did ask. The person next to the guest jumped in saying no photos. 

Ok, fair enough, I respect the decision if something has changed, but the way I was spoken to in front of the guest could have been handled a lot better and not left me feeling crap. 

I understand things change, but I didn't see any indication of this while waiting my turn. In future I won't be asking regardless.

Sometimes you are just the first Person after this decision has been made. It happens to everyone, not even us mods are safe. :lol:;) The Crew member was really nice about it, but being told "no" automatically causes that "oh sh*t I've done something wrong" Feeling. Mods are not safe of that either. :P