Guest Announcement - Friday 7pm

showmasters

I obviously don't intend to start anything (and I hope you all know by now that that's not what I'd ever mean to do)... but just a personal opinion...

I know that Showmasters like to do build-ups and that's what they'll continue to do. That's fine. 

However, this event is two weeks this weekend. I, and  I imagine a few others, are still deciding if they're going to attend or not. At the moment I have 4 guests I want to meet but still need a bigger draw to justify the cost as I live in the North East.

I'm not saying you have to do this, it's just my own personal view...

But when an event is this close, it might be better for people considering coming if you announced guests straight away as soon as they've confirmed, rather than withholding them for 48+ hours.

When an event is 17 days away, 2 days is quite significant. Especially if these guests could mean more people will attend, they'll need to sort transport, accommodation, work etc and could do with as much notice as possible. Some of these attendees may not have even thought about coming until these guests are announced so they won't have looked at any options or given it any prior thought. It's fine if an event is still a couple of months away, but this one isn't.

If you still want to announce them on Friday at 7pm then that's fine. But may just be something you'd like to consider in the future when it's less than 3 weeks until an event.

Really hope this doesn't cause a riot, I just think it's a genuine discussion that would be good to have. 

( #QSPleaseDontKillMe #PrayForSam )

Edited by Sam_Carter96
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, dogsoldierspoon said:

They will announce a Saw reunion, just wait and see.

Oh, don't say that, you'll get the wee faerie all excited and hopeful now! She's gonna be let down if it isn't!

8 hours ago, Sam_Carter96 said:

I obviously don't intend to start anything (and I hope you all know by now that that's not what I'd ever mean to do)... but just a personal opinion...

I know that Showmasters like to do build-ups and that's what they'll continue to do. That's fine. 

However, this event is two weeks this weekend. I, and  I imagine a few others, are still deciding if they're going to attend or not. At the moment I have 4 guests I want to meet but still need a bigger draw to justify the cost as I live in the North East.

I'm not saying you have to do this, it's just my own personal view...

But when an event is this close, it might be better for people considering coming if you announced guests straight away as soon as they've confirmed, rather than withholding them for 48+ hours.

When an event is 17 days away, 2 days is quite significant. Especially if these guests could mean more people will attend, they'll need to sort transport, accommodation, work etc and could do with as much notice as possible. Some of these attendees may not have even thought about coming until these guests are announced so they won't have looked at any options or given it any prior thought. It's fine if an event is still a couple of months away, but this one isn't.

If you still want to announce them on Friday at 7pm then that's fine. But may just be something you'd like to consider in the future when it's less than 3 weeks until an event.

Really hope this doesn't cause a riot, I just think it's a genuine discussion that would be good to have. 

absolutely agree with this.Best letter i've read in ages as i know alot of people who support showmasters events who agree on this. the closer you get to an event the higher the train tickets go, hotel options become harder. The sooner we know who a guest is the better for booking. not wanting to take away peoples fun with the guessing games but close to an event being staged and you've signed the contracts with this guest.. just announce it. I have to get time off work and its harder at short notice to get people to cover for me.Just 2 weeks out from an event just tell us who it is. some of us can't just drop everything and pay extra costs we need to plan.

10 hours ago, Sam_Carter96 said:

Oh come on. You are here Long enough to have read my "the mods will only have to remove once we leave the appropriate Level of language" rant a thousand times. Unless you are cursing in some secret language I am completely overlooking this does not apply to your post. Even if this would start off something the mods would start off with removing the reaction post first. The post triggering something would only be gone if it happens repeatedly.

I check the forums nearly every day, but yes, I like a little bit of advance warning for big guests too in case there's a danger of tickets selling out before I check again.  Not too far in advance, though, as the tension can be unbearable - a couple of days before like this is good.  As for announcements near the event date - some guests just can't/won't commit until really close to the time.  I remember when a must-have guest was announced for an SM signing event I don't usually attend, literally a few days before.  (My scream probably could have been heard all the way down my street.)  I had to scramble to get tickets and a hotel room booked, but it was worth it. 

2 minutes ago, taz101 said:

I think at least usually they say 'big' in front of it giving you some indication of the level at least

They have changed the phrasing used for announcements now Taz. 

49 minutes ago, Nirvellithewolf said:

Id love Dom Monaghan to go with Billy Boyd but I doubt it will be. I'm just thrilled I get to meet Billy :D:D

I met Dom a couple of years ago, and he was lovely - really chatty. That would be an amazing pairing! I really want to meet Billy, but I am trying to convince myself not to go to Collectormania as I'm already going to others this year (though I really want to go!) but as more guests are announced, it's getting almost impossible to say no, as they've got some great people going already. Can't wait to see who is announced!