Special Assistance

29 minutes ago, SilentHook88 said:

I think it's a bit unfair others get the option of collecting their passes Thursday but we have to wait until Friday to get our Extra Help bands before our Diamond Passes as can't do both days.

This means we're getting further back in the que even if turn up early.

I do agree with you.   I appreciate it is volumteers etc but if people are there giving out passes anyway i do not see a reason why ALL passes arent available.

21 minutes ago, HeartDT said:

I do agree with you.   I appreciate it is volumteers etc but if people are there giving out passes anyway i do not see a reason why ALL passes arent available.

Queen stated earlier it's a particular team who deal with the Access passes, if they aren't available on Thursday because they are volunteers and will be at their day jobs there isn't anything they can do - they possibly need experienced people to do it who are familiar with all the paper work?  It may be that you can ask SM to look into it for next year.

4 hours ago, FanGirl said:

I’ve seen people who get in as a Cerer (and rightly so because they are a Carer) and have a “free” ticket. That Carer then enjoys the Convention as much as the person they are there with. I wasn’t aware that a Carer who gets a “free” ticket is unable to “enjoy” the Con in the same way and I’m not sure anyone else is aware of this? I’ve never got a Carer Ticket free because the person I attend with also needs the Extra Help so they get their own tickets and Wrist Bands. However, this year I’ve asked a friend who was already going (already had a ticket) to be my Carer because my health has got worse sadly. 

Thank you for the information though because at least I’m aware of this for the future :rolleyes:

@FanGirl I’m afraid it’s definitely true sadly. It probably doesn’t get picked up on a whole lot because let’s face it, whose going to challenge a person pushing someone in a wheelchair about whether they are a “paying” carer or a “free” carer. It would be impossible to police but I always play fair and buy my own ticket whilst being a carer too. The rule is right there on the accessibility page near the top beside “Carer Entry” http://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/index.php/accessibility

35 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

@FanGirl I’m afraid it’s definitely true sadly. It probably doesn’t get picked up on a whole lot because let’s face it, whose going to challenge a person pushing someone in a wheelchair about whether they are a “paying” carer or a “free” carer. It would be impossible to police but I always play fair and buy my own ticket whilst being a carer too. The rule is right there on the accessibility page near the top beside “Carer Entry” http://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/index.php/accessibility

I cant be sure but, I am sure a friend inquired about that and was told that its OK for her partner to participate.  Anyway I am like you in the sense I've never accessed that service because the person I attend with has her own needs. like I said this year I have a Carer but, he already had tickets :rolleyes: You are right it would be really difficult to police sadly. Anyway enjoy the weekend the both of you :rolleyes:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EllaBlair said:

@Queen_Sindel do you know if those with the assistance passes are still being allowed into the venue a few minutes early? Just thinking about the fact that we have to get virtual queue tickets this year and looking at the floor plan wondering how to make the whole thing work.

3 hours ago, HeartDT said:

Exactly what i was wondering and going to ask.  Especially as not able to collect the assistance bands Thursday.

Yes, that is still the plan. I would say "feel free to yell at venue security if they misbehave again", but someone may take that seriously and I'd be in trouble.

I have posted all I know about the Disability Pass Pickup. I have put the "make a Thursday pickup possible" on the list of suggestions already, I am afraid that is all I can do currently. Feel free to enquire why no pick up Thursday when you pick up the wristbands. The crew there possibly has more information than I have. I can only assure you that a Thursday pick up would have been implemented had there been any possibility. 

23 minutes ago, FanGirl said:

I cant be sure but, I am sure a friend inquired about that and was told that its OK for her partner to participate.  Anyway I am like you in the sense I've never accessed that service because the person I attend with has her own needs. like I said this year I have a Carer but, he already had tickets :rolleyes: You are right it would be really difficult to police sadly. Anyway enjoy the weekend the both of you :rolleyes:

The rules are as put on the website. They have already been adjusted because unfortunately people were starting to abuse the system. If the abuse of the free carer part gets out of hand too I can guarantee there'll be another change, something like different wristbands for paying carer/free carer. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

The rules are as put on the website. They have already been adjusted because unfortunately people were starting to abuse the system. If the abuse of the free carer part gets out of hand too I can guarantee there'll be another change, something like different wristbands for paying carer/free carer. 

I think the different colour wrist band is a brilliant idea! It’s a shame that there some that abuse the free Carer System because it ruins it for everyone else. 

2 minutes ago, HeartDT said:

Isn't it that wife tje free carer pass you cant get photos or autos... if you wish to do those you would need to get entry ticket?    Sure i read that somewhere

Found it lol.... yeah i thought insaw this.. this wanted to be sure....

Carers Entry - We offer one free carers entry when accompanying an attendee that requires extra help. This permits access to the event for the sole purpose to assist with the full paying attendee and as such those entering with this pass will not be permitted to take part in any activities as an individual e.g. Photo shoots or autographs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeartDT said:

Carers Entry - We offer one free carers entry when accompanying an attendee that requires extra help. This permits access to the event for the sole purpose to assist with the full paying attendee and as such those entering with this pass will not be permitted to take part in any activities as an individual e.g. Photo shoots or autographs.

Doh I didn't know this I bought my sister who is going to be my carer entry tickets for Friday/Saturday. How does one go about getting a refund?

1 minute ago, unkown error said:

Doh I didn't know this I bought my sister who is going to be my carer entry tickets for Friday/Saturday. How does one go about getting a refund?

Email shop@showmastersevents.com and explain unknown.  Email them the order numbers of your sisters tickets and let them know that she's registered as your carer and that she isn't taking part in any activities

6 hours ago, HeartDT said:

I posted the link to this literally 6 posts above your question :lol:

Hi, just wanted to say now that the event is over for me that I thought the special assistance this weekend was fantastic. The crew were fast at issuing the passes at the beginning. A clear and separate queue in the morning that was let in with a good head start on the other queue. I had no issues at photo shoots and only a slight issue with one autograph queue. They were quick to slot me in near the front as soon as they saw the wristband and any time I needed a chair the crew were quick to run and provide one for me.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, EllaBlair said:

Hi, just wanted to say now that the event is over for me that I thought the special assistance this weekend was fantastic. The crew were fast at issuing the passes at the beginning. A clear and separate queue in the morning that was let in with a good head start on the other queue. I had no issues at photo shoots and only a slight issue with one autograph queue. They were quick to slot me in near the front as soon as they saw the wristband and any time I needed a chair the crew were quick to run and provide one for me.

I agree. We had a great weekend that we would never have managed to do half the things we wanted had the crew not been so helpful. I think I saw you @EllaBlair in the queue on Saturday morning but you were too far away to say hi. We had no problems at auto queues getting fast tracked but sadly we met 2 people in the Sam Neil extra help queue photo shoot queue who had a different experience. My partners disability is (for want of a better word) “visible” as she is in a wheelchair so the help was very forthcoming but these ladies had no (again hate this) “visible” impairment and said they had been sent to the back of every auto queue (including several that we had been helped at) despite having the same bands we did. This is a shame as it’s not up to the blue shirts to decide who gets what treatment. An extra help band is an extra help band and it is applied for and checked during that application. The policy should be applied equally across the entire event.

2 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

I agree. We had a great weekend that we would never have managed to do half the things we wanted had the crew not been so helpful. I think I saw you @EllaBlair in the queue on Saturday morning but you were too far away to say hi. We had no problems at auto queues getting fast tracked but sadly we met 2 people in the Sam Neil extra help queue photo shoot queue who had a different experience. My partners disability is (for want of a better word) “visible” as she is in a wheelchair so the help was very forthcoming but these ladies had no (again hate this) “visible” impairment and said they had been sent to the back of every auto queue (including several that we had been helped at) despite having the same bands we did. This is a shame as it’s not up to the blue shirts to decide who gets what treatment. An extra help band is an extra help band and it is applied for and checked during that application. The policy should be applied equally across the entire event.

Wish I could have said hi to you! This is a shame if it was some people's experience, luckily my disability is pretty visible but yes no one else can judge based just on appearances.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

That should not have happened for sure. Did the ladies tell you the lines where that happened by any chance? I will put it on my list of things to be raised for sure, but if you know the times/lines that would help.

13 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

That should not have happened for sure. Did the ladies tell you the lines where that happened by any chance? I will put it on my list of things to be raised for sure, but if you know the times/lines that would help.

I didn’t get all of them but the ones I can remember were Meat Loaf, Sam Neil and Lance Hendrickson.

7 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

I've seen this at other SM events too @Queen_Sindel, it's definitely in the minority but does happen periodically. I struggled in the Meatloaf queue too, then again everyone did!

The purple access bands should be considered sacrosanct. If disability treatment still has a way to go in society more broadly, hidden disabilities have even more work ahead and that is a cultural shift, not just related to this event (blue badges for example only just being extended to "hidden" conditions). If you have the access band you have already given over your proof, every staff member should know that and be aware of it. Think it happened to me previously at the autograph area, I've found those at the photo shoot areas to be excellent in the main.

Do volunteers go through any sort of disability awareness training? If so, how often is it refreshed? If not, they really should, even if it's only online.

• Like 1

The volunteer part is TooTall's baby. I'm sorry, but I really don't know about trainings. I will see that I find out.

I found out in person during one of our last trips to Paris Disney, disability treatment needs to go a long way. I had an extra help pass there because I had surgery on my foot. The afternoon before a hard ticketed event they decided they would not honor the extra help passes there. Their reasoning "to make it fair for everyone."

That, some completely irresponsible line un-organisation and the fact that they had closed the wheelchair rental early led to me hobbling back to the car in a shoe filled with blood because all of the extra bandages had soaked through. That's definitely nothing I want to experience ever again.

@Queen_Sindel that sounds horrible. I was at Disney in January but only for the parks I didn't go to any events. I had no problems thankfully and was so grateful for the pass because looking at some of the queues I could not have done it. But I can't believe they did that. It is not fair to everyone being disabled you're already starting a step behind everyone else, what a disgrace. 

19 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

The volunteer part is TooTall's baby. I'm sorry, but I really don't know about trainings. I will see that I find out.

I found out in person during one of our last trips to Paris Disney, disability treatment needs to go a long way. I had an extra help pass there because I had surgery on my foot. The afternoon before a hard ticketed event they decided they would not honor the extra help passes there. Their reasoning "to make it fair for everyone."

That, some completely irresponsible line un-organisation and the fact that they had closed the wheelchair rental early led to me hobbling back to the car in a shoe filled with blood because all of the extra bandages had soaked through. That's definitely nothing I want to experience ever again.

Sorry you’ve had to experience a snapshot of our world for yourself @Queen_Sindel. It is unfortunate, but now you will see what Richard Hammond was saying in the quote I posted on the Thursday meeting thread.

2 minutes ago, robmoriarty said:

Sorry you’ve had to experience a snapshot of our world for yourself @Queen_Sindel. It is unfortunate, but now you will see what Richard Hammond was saying in the quote I posted on the Thursday meeting thread.

Quote for those who cannot see it: "Able bodied people like to think that everything that could be done to make life easier and convenient for disabled people has been done, but when you find yourself in that position, you realise it really, really hasn’t."

2 minutes ago, robmoriarty said:

Quote for those who cannot see it: "Able bodied people like to think that everything that could be done to make life easier and convenient for disabled people has been done, but when you find yourself in that position, you realise it really, really hasn’t."

It is a very true quote too. I was able bodied until a few years ago (I had medical issues but none that resulted in me being unable to do anything). Then I had a bad accident, a botched surgery, horrible recovery and permanently on a crutch other than being able to walk the length of my house which is not very big. It was a massive shock to the system and it can happen to anyone.